Poll - how do you make yours?!? (bottles up!)

Why don't you all buy a jug for the fridge (for those of you that boil and cool) boil lots of water, fill it up, put it in the fridge and wollah, water on hand :D

Because this won't kill The bacteria in the powder.

That's the whole point of boiling the water. It's not about water quality in developed worlds it's about the powder being contaminated.

Well don't leave your formula in a contaminate place? Some things are just common sense. If anything will contaminate your baby it will be dirt, or bacteria in the air.
I honestly do not understand the huge deal with bubble wrapping babies.

Leopard the formula powder may become contaminated during the manufacturing process before it is even opened, it is due to the methods in which liquid formula is converted into powder. They haven't yet found an alternative manufacturing process to prevent this, in any country.

l know you aren't supposed to use water cooler than 70 degrees as it doesn't kill off bacteria, but I was under the impression that using freshly boiled water kills off the nutrients in formula, which is why you are meant to let it cool for 30 minutes before adding the powder?

Saying that, it's not that realistic to wait 30 minutes when u have a screaming baby, particularly at night, so I boil kettle and put 1/3 of the required amount into the bottle, then add cooled boiled water from a jug in the fridge, add powder and shake.

Oh, and according to the side of the Dr Brown's bottles box (haven't researched it any further in to it - just took their word for it!), nutrient levels quickly drop after you mix up formula, which is why i don't make up formula in advance.

When i still made bottles with her old formula, we used to boil the water, add the formula and just put it in the fridge and microwave when we needed it. I had no idea about rapid cooling until she was towards the end of having it so i never changed what i did.

Now i just make it with tap water (prescription formula).

My Midwife told me to make up my bottles with boiled water for the day so I do like 6 at a time then add the powder when she wants the feed! I leave them on the side like she said!

After reading this thread im worried im not doing it correctly!

That was the old guideline prior to around 2006/2007, now it is advised to add the formula powder while the water has cooled from boiling for no more than 30 minutes-while it is no longer advised to premake and store in the fridge, you can do this according to the WHO guidelines, just make sure you rapid cool the bottles in cold water before putting them promptly in the back of the fridge and use within no more than 24 hours xx

I keep reading £rapid cool", does this mean you cool it down under the tap before putting it in the fridge?

If so, why is this?

I boil water in the kettle. Pour about 30 MIL in each bottle, put in the fridge. When its time for a feed, I take a bottle, add boiled water + formula.

I keep reading £rapid cool", does this mean you cool it down under the tap before putting it in the fridge?

If so, why is this?
[/QUOTE]

I usually stand the bottles in a basin of cold water for 10 minutes before putting them in the fridge. If you put hot bottles in the fridge then Ive heard it can really damage it. xxx

We make fresh everytime and just stand the bottle in a jug of cold water to cool it down and serve slightly warm or at room temperature. We got pretty good at reading her signs for feeding so were usually on the ball and it's ready for when she is!

Thought I would bump up this thread as so many new ladies have joined us here recently xx

I used to make them fresh but now I make up 5 bottles with 60ml boiled water and fridge then when bottles needed I top up to 210ml with fresh boiled water - this makes the water at the right temp and then I add the powder and rapid cool so it's drinkable

I boil the kettle in the morning, fill up 3 9oz bottles with cooled boiled water and store at room temperature in sealed steralised bottles.

Each time she wants a feed i use 5oz of the cooled water, add 5 scoops and then heat in bottle warmer. Then throw away any unused feeds after 2hrs.

From what i am reading this is not a good idea due to the bacteria in the formula?

I am new to this as I EBF until about 12wk then combi fed for a week, then now EFF as i have been put on tablets and i am not comfortable with the research about it being in breast milk.

It's hard to explain so I'll attempt to do so in example form!

Let's say LO needed a 4 oz bottle, I'd boil water; put 2 oz boiling water in bottle add the whole 4 oz worth of formula powder; than add the remaining 2 oz of water required with verry cool boiled water.

Therefore eliminating the cool down wait, it was near perfect temp.!

Does everyone really make their formula with powder? Here in Finland it seems most just buy the ready cartons, it sounds a lot easier to me. I have no experience though yet since i dont have any babies :flower:

Does everyone really make their formula with powder? Here in Finland it seems most just buy the ready cartons, it sounds a lot easier to me. I have no experience though yet since i dont have any babies :flower:

I'm in the US, the ready made cartons are much more expensive over here! I see them in stores but have never actually met anyone that had used em! :dohh: Does seem much more simple though...

Yes cartons in the UK are much more expensive aswell. Even with the cheapest brand formula powder costs around £8 for a weeks supply, whereas the ready made would cost about £18-19 a week. So more than double the price! xx

I use boiling water from the kettle, add powder, cool it to right temp in sink of cold water and feed. DS only has the one bottle a day and it takes the same amount of time to cool the bottle to the right temperature as it takes for DS to have a bath!

If you live in the UK there is no need to use sterilised water at all. Our water system are 100x better than what they were when sterilising was introduced. It is especially not needed if you live in Scotland because we have soft water.

It was introduced years ago, not to sterilise the milk, but so that the water was sterile as babies were getting fatal bouts of dihorrea etc. however, now, water systems are so much better. I stopped sterilising at 4 months and my daughter has been fine!

I've even used cold water straight from tap for her bottles, however, you should not do this with hot water because hot water contains the iron from the piping.

I often use cartons in the night and use what's left through the day

Or i fill all bottles to 4ozs with boiling water and leave on side. When Izzy wants a could i Mic for ten or fifteen seconds to make it a nice temp then add the formula x

If you live in the UK there is no need to use sterilised water at all. Our water system are 100x better than what they were when sterilising was introduced. It is especially not needed if you live in Scotland because we have soft water.

It was introduced years ago, not to sterilise the milk, but so that the water was sterile as babies were getting fatal bouts of dihorrea etc. however, now, water systems are so much better. I stopped sterilising at 4 months and my daughter has been fine!

I've even used cold water straight from tap for her bottles, however, you should not do this with hot water because hot water contains the iron from the piping.

But these days now we are more aware that formula powder can potentially contain some nasty and deadly bacteria the World Health organisation and the UK government have introduced guidlines stating that we use water at a temperature of 70c+ to make up formula in order to destroy any harmful bacteria i could contain. Although you have probably read lots of parents use cooled boiled water at a temperature less than 70c and their babies are fine and the guidlines in all other western countries is to use room temp/just warm water to make up feeds.

https://www.who.int/foodsafety/publications/micro/PIF_Bottle_en.pdf

Cooled boiled water (poured into bottles while freshly boiled and then sealed), then powder added when required. No heating. Not concerned about the fact formula isn't sterile (which is the real case and not that formula factually DOES have bacteria in that you HAVE to kill) xx

I boil water in a kettle the night before, let it cool over night add the water to the bottle, add the powder, shake then put in fridge and when DS is ready for one IE the morning we put it in the bottle warmer and warm it then feed it to him

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->