Poll - how do you make yours?!? (bottles up!)

I prefer to just make a fresh feed everytime she gets hungry... when she starts showing signs she hungry i'll boil kettle, pour the water in, then add scoops.. then bring it into her bedroom into a jug of cold water and let it cool in there while im changing her! 9 times out of 10 its usually the perfect temperature by the time i've finished changing her..

Although, sometimes i do ''cheat'' making her feeds especially the night feeds when she just woke me up :blush: i buy ready made carton milk, bring a sterilised bottle upstairs in her bedroom and as soon as she wakes up for a feed just have to pour the carton into her bottle and done! :haha: she likes her carton feeds cold so makes it easier for night feeds!!

i also used cartons for night feeds when he wasnt sleeping through so much easier and when i go out during the day

Well I don't want to get bashed, but bear in mind that the tap water where i live is twice the quality of anywhere else in the world.

So we use tap water, add formula afterwards, shakeup, put in microwave (oh the horror), 10 seconds, then take it out, shake it for about 20seconds to distribute the heat and then feed.

Don't like it? Buck up :)

Haha this made me chuckle, we don't use tap water but do use a microwave! Xx

Guidlines her are to use cooled boiled water and then heat it baack up. I boil water and poor it into a quart canning jar while its still hot. When i close it it is so hot it seals the n i break the seal and fix the bottles. But he only gets two bottles at night the rest hes breastfed. I boil new water every night.

Brita Filitered tap water, microwave 15 seconds, add formula, shake and serve.

Cooled boiled water, Add formula, Microwave, Shake well, Test on wrist, Eat!

Just tap water and I do each bottle as she goes. In my area pretty much everyone just uses tap water unless there is a water quality issue like having a well. We're using concentrate so we just mix equal parts water and formula.

I prefer to just make a fresh feed everytime she gets hungry... when she starts showing signs she hungry i'll boil kettle, pour the water in, then add scoops.. then bring it into her bedroom into a jug of cold water and let it cool in there while im changing her! 9 times out of 10 its usually the perfect temperature by the time i've finished changing her..

Same here :thumbup::flower:

My details for the poll: Nursery water (from the gallon jugs), mix 32 oz with 16 scoops, pour. I put in microwave for 5-10 seconds to take the edge off, but my baby likes her bottles pretty cold. Shake well and feed. I don't boil, and I make enough to last from morning until her bedtime bottle though sometimes we run out and I make fresh.

All the research I did, all the choices I made for my daughter were very researched, etc. However- boiling bottle water was one thing I did not know about. I didn't research formula feeding because I was sure with a LC for a mother in law, we would breast feed. I found out about the time she was 3 months old, maybe older. We hadn't up until that point, so I don't plan on starting. We will be done with formula in a few months anyway.

wow this is interesting - so different in uk and us -i boil water make bottle then cool in a dish of cold water and feed - we make sure we use it within 2 hours - but usually its within 15 mins as soon as its cool

Im finding it v tying tho in terms of going out and about...and all my mamy friends look at me like im mad as they make 6 bottle up on a morning and then just heat them or use them cold when they need them - id love to be able to do that and not feel giulty but dh read all the guidelines by the fsa and now im guilt tripped into fresh!!

wow this is interesting - so different in uk and us -i boil water make bottle then cool in a dish of cold water and feed - we make sure we use it within 2 hours - but usually its within 15 mins as soon as its cool

Im finding it v tying tho in terms of going out and about...and all my mamy friends look at me like im mad as they make 6 bottle up on a morning and then just heat them or use them cold when they need them - id love to be able to do that and not feel giulty but dh read all the guidelines by the fsa and now im guilt tripped into fresh!!

Gerber water room temp. then formula shake and feed

Reading this with interest as I am still using the ready made at the moment but looking to switch soon and no idea how I am going to prepare it. looks like we have the strictest guidelines in the UK?

I used to make each bottle fresh, but now I make 2-3 bottles at a time using boiled water, cool rapidly then store in fridge. I heat bottle in microwave for 40 seconds then swirl around an leave for a couple of mins to get rid of hotspots. If we going out for a short time(less than 2 hours) I warm bottle an keep it in bottle pocket of baby bag, if we're going out for day I take cartons.

From reading this tread I am wondering....

Boiled water + formula is bad because it kills nutrients
Boiled water with added cold water + formula is bad because of the risk not all bacteria being killed.

I have always just added freshly boiled water into the bottle, then added formula to be cooled in a bowl of cold water. She is gaining weight, sleeping well and seems like a happy baby. I dont think I need to change anything but STILL I now got this little voice in my head telling me I should be worried that she might be missing vital nutriants because the hot water might scold it away....BAH. There is no "right" way really?

in the days I boil the water half an hour before feed, cool it down and if needed warm it up until it's right temp when I'm about to give my son a bottle, then add formula and voila. In the nights, i boil a lot of water, let it cool down, then put 7oz of water in 5 bottles and bring it with me in the room as my LO wakes at least 3 times in the night for feeds. I then warm them in avent electric warmer and add formula to warmed up bottle :) easy peasy and i don't have to run around the house, to the fridge etc..

From reading this tread I am wondering....

Boiled water + formula is bad because it kills nutrients
Boiled water with added cold water + formula is bad because of the risk not all bacteria being killed.

I have always just added freshly boiled water into the bottle, then added formula to be cooled in a bowl of cold water. She is gaining weight, sleeping well and seems like a happy baby. I dont think I need to change anything but STILL I now got this little voice in my head telling me I should be worried that she might be missing vital nutriants because the hot water might scold it away....BAH. There is no "right" way really?

UK formula companies have reconstituted their products so that nutrients are not lost while being made up with 70 degree water; however with water above this temperature I don't know. They have certainly reformulated their products so they are not designed to be made up with cold or room temperature water. xx

My Midwife told me to make up my bottles with boiled water for the day so I do like 6 at a time then add the powder when she wants the feed! I leave them on the side like she said!

After reading this thread im worried im not doing it correctly!

My Midwife told me to make up my bottles with boiled water for the day so I do like 6 at a time then add the powder when she wants the feed! I leave them on the side like she said!

After reading this thread im worried im not doing it correctly!

That was the old guideline prior to around 2006/2007, now it is advised to add the formula powder while the water has cooled from boiling for no more than 30 minutes-while it is no longer advised to premake and store in the fridge, you can do this according to the WHO guidelines, just make sure you rapid cool the bottles in cold water before putting them promptly in the back of the fridge and use within no more than 24 hours xx

So many different ways!! With my DS I used to put half cool boiled water in then top up with fresh boiled when needed and add the formula always a perfect temp and never a problem with him! But now with these new guidelines about mixing formula with 70c water I'm worried about doing same with this one! People say don't risk it but then they store and use a microwave, i hate microwave I'm a nurse and have saw hotspot burns even from a bottle that mum felt she had shook the life out of! Is all personal choice and both are risks to take!

I may with this one prefill an 8oz bottle with
Cool boiled water an store in fridge an then make formula up with half boiled water so above 70c and top up the water from fridge?? Obviously using the ounce guide on fridge bottle and not bottle with formula already in!
Then when going out take bottle, flask, empty small bottle and small bottle filled with cool
Boiled water. A lot to take but then it ensures formula
Is always mixed in >70c water!

To be honest I know health visitors, doctors etc that I work with would 'prefer' if any that u use the cool boiled water and add formula as opposed to storing and microwaving! Depends how much they are up to date with new guidelines! And as a
Nurse I know guidelines change constantly when the old ones worked perfectly well for many many people!

All personal choice and I think you do what's best for you :) xx

Why don't you all buy a jug for the fridge (for those of you that boil and cool) boil lots of water, fill it up, put it in the fridge and wollah, water on hand :D

Because this won't kill The bacteria in the powder.

That's the whole point of boiling the water. It's not about water quality in developed worlds it's about the powder being contaminated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->