Pope tells moms it's OK to breastfeed in church

DebbieF

Reaction score
Now I'm not at all a religious person, but I found this article very positive.

CNN) - Under the iconic paintings in the Sistine Chapel on Sunday, Pope Francis told mothers that it's acceptable to breastfeed their children in public, even in holy sites like churches.

Children's voices, even when crying, make "the most beautiful choir of all," Francis said during a service in which he baptized 32 children.

"Some will cry because they are uncomfortable or because they are hungry," the Pope said. "If they are hungry, mothers, let them eat, no worries, because here, they are the main focus," he said.

The Pope's remarks echo statements he made to an Italian newspaper in December in which he tied breastfeeding to the problem of global hunger.

https://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2014/01/13/pope-tells-moms-its-ok-to-breastfeed-in-church/?hpt=hp_t2

Not religious at all either but I really like this pope also :)

Wow, that's amazing. Very proud to be Catholic with a Pope like him.

I'm so impressed with the Pope. Totally ace that he's said all this.

Actually makes me think about this article https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/2274119/

Its about how the image of Mary breastfeeding Jesus was so common years ago in art.

Makes it hard for anyone to complain about women nursing in church.

I am not religious, but one of the first places the I bfed in public was a church haha. It was in the back in the baby/cry room though. I was at my grandfather's funeral I doubt anyone would dare to say anything rude to me.

It's great that the pope said that. Very good to hear

That is great.

I feed in church sometimes, but LO is so distractable it is difficult. This past Sunday I was visiting a new church and sat in the cry room with lots of other families. The lady in front of me had a child probably a few months younger than LO. I popped a quick nurse during the Gospel and no one even noticed. They were giving their child a bottle, but he wouldn't have it. The woman disappeared to the large stall of the bathroom for a good while, I bet she went to feed him in there. I felt bad that she felt she had to go sit in the toilets to feed her LO :( However, I wear nursing shirts or nursable shirts 24/7 with LO. Her dress was NOT BF friendly and would probably have to be halfway removed to nurse....

Anyway...good to hear!

That's great! I think every time I have been to church since my son was born I have ended up feeding him, nobody has batted an eyelid (although I am usually wearing a nursing top)

I think it's great. I don't go to church but I did bf at a church wedding last year.

I'd love to BF in a middle of a Mass... somehow methinks it won't go down well. Although my Church is quite a progressive Catholic one and have a special baby change room.

I suppose I could whop my babs out there...

I'm quite a militant atheist, but I'm a big fan of the current pope. DH and I had a conversation the other day talking about how we hope his image isn't just something constructed. That Mother Theresa article really upset me when it came out.

I'd love to BF in a middle of a Mass... somehow methinks it won't go down well. Although my Church is quite a progressive Catholic one and have a special baby change room.

I suppose I could whop my babs out there...

I BF in Mass, but no whopping babs out, it is quite discrete.

I fed right through my nanas crem and church servicesright in the front row. He was 4 weeks, the vicar didn't bat an eyelid.
Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->