Porridge

P

petal040

I have yet another question lol... when I wean LO I would like to do BLW. I have read most of the book by Gill Rapley.

I understand that when you start baby just eats along with you - i.e. you don't need to do one food only for a few days, then another, then another etc.

I would like to have porridge for breakfast some days and so I guess it would make sense for LO to try some too? What I'm not sure about is...

- Does she need 'baby' porridge or can she have the same as me?
- Would this mean I'd have to spoon feed her or is there something she could dip in maybe?
- Any suggestions for dippers?
- Is it okay for her to have porridge made with cows milk or would she need it made with water or formula?

You don't need to use baby porridge, no, and it's really expensive anyway! Just choose a normal one that doesn't have any nasties added to it, like sugar. Officially you can use full fat cow's milk to make it up from 6 months. You don't have to spoonfeed it, LO will prob be able to do this herself - load the spoon yourself, then offer the spoon to her to grab off you and put to her mouth. My baby did this easily pretty much straightaway. It helps to make the porridge/cereal thick so it doesn't slide off the spoon easily.

Thanks - are there any advantages/disadvantages to using cow milk at that age, as opposed to formula?

we have porridge most mornings too... i use a suction bowl & stick it the table, usually she just sticks her hands in & sucks it off her hands lol, but sometimes she uses the spoon.... if we are about to go out somewhere and i dont have time to do a full change of clothes afterwards, then i offer her a loaded spoon, & shes fine with that too (although still wants to stick her hands in the bowl lol)

ps.. i still make hers with formula.. i had ezcema as a child, made worse by cows milk so im trying to hold off on that for as long as possible, although it is fine to use in cooking from 6m xx

I use ready brek for Phoebe with cows milk. It took her a while to get used to the taste but she loves it now.

I use formula, I use such small amounts on Ruby's cereal it's silly to buy whole milk as we never use it ourselves. Plus OH had problems with cow's milk as a child so being cautious with it for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->