positions...big boobs!!

wishing4ababy

mummy of 3 gorgeous LO's!
Reaction score
i have been trying to google this but not really finding anything. I am automatically holding my boob up whilst charlie is feeding because i feel as though they are too big and heavy for him to manage on his own :blush: should i not be doing this? If not has anyone got any tips for better positioning? I have been holding him like a rugby ball but he only like this on one side. We are both getting as frustrated as each other. Whenever I see anyone bf'ing they always look really comfortable and lovely....we just look as though we are struggling...and i am always hunched forwards holding onto my boob for dear life! :hissy:

When I was breastfeeding one of the positions I used was holding my DS as a rugby ball. The other one, was using one of those V-pillows to support his body, holding the boob I was breastfeeding him from with one of my hands and with my other hand I was holding his head.

So, worked like that. Me sitting on a comfy chair (I have one of those nursing ones), pillow accros my lap, he on top of the pillow with his head close to my left boob(sometimes for extra support I used to put an ordinary cushion under the V-pillow, under his head), with my right hand I was holding his head, with my left one my left boob. And opposite if you are feeding from the other side.
:hug:
Hope this helps:hug: I have huge boobs myself (38G... But I actually think since I became pregnant again they grew!!) and breastfeeding was a bit tricky.

i found i was like this too early on. i tried cusping my boob between thum and fingers so thumb would be on top of boob pushing in slightly to clear an air way and my fingers were underneath my boob kind of lifting it some. it does get uncomfortable but as you get better at it, your boobs shrink a bit and your baby learns and grows it gets so much easier. a good cushion helps aswell. i got a U shaped one from babies r us, really comfy and helps trying different positions.

I'm large breasted too and I feed much like Wombat, but not the rugby ball position, just across my chest. I use a V-pillow (or cushion if I'm on the sofa rather than bed) to support him higher up and I hold my breast with thumb on top to keep an airway clear and fingers supporting underneath. I too find myself leaning forward though, not found a solution to that yet. I still have too much belly to get Jack tucked in under my boobs if I'm sat up straight.

34H here and even bigger when full. I feed my little girl lying down at night with both of us on our sides facing each other. I sometimes use a couple of fingers to gently ease my boob away from her nose but not always. At home during the day I always use a feeding pillow to support her. If she's latched on properly I don't find the size of my boobs to be a problem but if she doesn't latch properly her nose gets smothered by boob so I keep taking her off until she takes it properly.

I find getting as much boob (nipple and areola) helps. If you do feed lying down try to encourage your little one to tilt his head back slightly away from your boob - this really helps us.

Good luck.

P.S instead of hunching over, try to sit as straight as possible as this will 'lift' your boobs away from your LO's face a bit and allow them to breathe more easily. I put a small cushion in the small of my back to support me when I feed sitting up.

x

I'm large breasted too and I feed much like Wombat, but not the rugby ball position, just across my chest. I use a V-pillow (or cushion if I'm on the sofa rather than bed) to support him higher up and I hold my breast with thumb on top to keep an airway clear and fingers supporting underneath. I too find myself leaning forward though, not found a solution to that yet. I still have too much belly to get Jack tucked in under my boobs if I'm sat up straight.

I just naturally started leaning back as my daughter started supporting herself more. I use my pregnancy wedge to support my back aswell and that helps.

I found although rugby ball helped him latch on it kills your back, for some reason it encourages you to lean forwards..I used to have about 4 pillows behind me to save my back.

Try him across your middle, I just put a pillow on my lap and laid him on it to bring him up to a comfy height, then lifted and supported my boob into his mouth. To start with he used to stay laid on his side but when he got a bit better at it he would roll over on to his back keeping his face to booby.
I now use one of those little bump wedge to support him, as it helps him sit up a little bit more whilst feeding and helps the wind/colic. He has his head up to breast and them his bum falls down between my legs.

I still have to cup my boob in my hand I have to use my thumb on top to stop him suffocating and fingers underneath to stop the breast falling away.
I've tried feeding lying down but its so uncomfy, I have to hold up my boob with the other arm so that nipple stays in his mouth as it just wants to fall south lol! that I end up with arm ache
At home I still use a pillow behind my back on the sofa so that I'm supported upright but when I'm out and about I can manage without although I do end leaning forwards a little. The only good thing about these L cup monsters is that they're so long I can lie him on my lap whilst out and feed him!!

To start with he used to stay laid on his side but when he got a bit better at it he would roll over on to his back keeping his face to booby.

Same with Jack. I don't have to support his back now, so now I have a hand free to take a drink or whatever :happydance:

I've tried feeding lying down but its so uncomfy, I have to hold up my boob with the other arm so that nipple stays in his mouth as it just wants to fall south lol! that I end up with arm ache

Same here.

Just had two feeds on the trot sat on the sofa with V-pillow on lap and a cushion behind my back. Was sat upright and much more comfortable!

I am a 34J and really struggled with this too. Like you said the rugby ball position encourages you to lean forward, so i did that sometimes, I also did across my middle but actually hated that cos it would cover her nose and I would have to squash my bb to make it easier for her to breath. Have you tried laying down, some people with bigger boobs find this hard but pillows helped for me, put a few behind Charlie so on his side and then his mouth should be straight to your breast x

thanks guys. if anything it is so good to know that i am doing what everyone else is doing. BF is making me feel really isolated as i am so new to it all....i keep thinking "what if I am doing this all wrong? how would I know?" - v irrational i know.
funnily enough i tried him laying across me this morning and he had a really good feed from that position - but on my right boob he just point blank refuses to do it like that. He gets really cross and just falls off my boob after about 2 minutes.
so good to know that you guys are also holding your boobs "up". I thought there was only me whose boobs were heading south!! :rofl:
I have got one of the v shaped pillows from Mothercare which is really good - but i will defo try putting another cushion underneath it at the head end for extra support. :hugs:

give yourself time babe - I was the same (I think there's a picture of me waaaaaay back on the photo thread above) all hunched over to start with but it comes. I was in the cricket club yesterday with a foot up on a stool and then in Sainsbury's cafe this afternoon on a regular wooden chair - I couldn't manage in the early weeks without pillows, V pillows, cushions and muslins to lift bits of boob......:dohh:

dont expect too much - you're doing so well already xxxx

in the beginning, i would roll a cloth to put under my boobs. i got some huge ones as well.

I still stuff muslins under the side of my boob when I'm in my recliner! Just lifts it a bit better!

Charlie just had the best feed he has had off me yet! He is now settled in his moses basket fast asleep.......and the best bit:

NO TOP UP REQUIRED!!!!!!!!! :happydance:

Charlie just had the best feed he has had off me yet! He is now settled in his moses basket fast asleep.......and the best bit:

:yipee: :wohoo: :happydance:

Clever mummy and clever Charlie!!

You're both getting the hang of it!!! In the same way that you are getting better as time goes by, so is he!! I remember Hebe taking at least an hour per feed in those early weeks and now she's done in 5-10mins flat!!! I actually miss that wime we had just sitting cuddling - now I have no excuse to do bugger all!! :rofl:

x

:yipee: :wohoo: :happydance:

Clever mummy and clever Charlie!!

You're both getting the hang of it!!! In the same way that you are getting better as time goes by, so is he!! I remember Hebe taking at least an hour per feed in those early weeks and now she's done in 5-10mins flat!!! I actually miss that wime we had just sitting cuddling - now I have no excuse to do bugger all!! :rofl:

x

:blush: i am feeling pretty smug at the moment!! :rofl: i keep forgetting that he is learning too. :dohh: 5-10 mins - oh my god!! really? He just fed for about 30 mins - but he only needed putting back on once in that time and he just fell fast asleep afterwards. :happydance: I am soooo thrilled. Didn't expect to enjoy feeding him this much...now i can see why people do it for so long. :hugs:

I am DREADING stopping!! :( I never understood how women could say they actually 'enjoyed' BFing. I could understand them carrying on for various obvious reasons but because they liked it...I really didnt get it. But I have to say if you can get past the initial tough times and the key one for me which is the 'has s/he had enough' trap, once it clicks it's fantastic and I AM one of those women! :D

My name is Lisa and I am a BF-aholic :happydance:

x

I am DREADING stopping!! :( I never understood how women could say they actually 'enjoyed' BFing. I could understand them carrying on for various obvious reasons but because they liked it...I really didnt get it. But I have to say if you can get past the initial tough times and the key one for me which is the 'has s/he had enough' trap, once it clicks it's fantastic and I AM one of those women! :D

My name is Lisa and I am a BF-aholic :happydance:

x

that is exactly how i felt. I could understand why they did it in the first place....which is why we all do it...but then just could not get my head round the "we don't stop because we love it" reason for not stopping. My friend was the same...I remember her saying to me that she wasn't ready to stop bfing and i just didnt get it.
The have they had enough thing is huge.......but then i am obsessed with knowing exactly how many oz they are having in a 24 hour period...think it is the lack of control???????
still grinning like a cheshire cat...oh thinks i am just crazy. Although he thought i was bonkers for carrying on when my nipples were cracked and bleeding!! :dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->