Post-natal check-up - clueless??

Discussion in 'Postnatal Support' started by Armymummy, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Armymummy

Armymummy Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I have my 6wk post-natal checkup this week, and just wondering what the check-up involves?? :dohh:

As a first-time mum obviously I haven't had these check-up's before. All I'm aware of is that you get examined and discuss contraception.

On the subject of contraception and I know people are all different. But I'm breastfeeding and want to be back on the pill asap!! Just wondering has anybody been put back on the pill asap whilst still breastfeeding. As I have heard that you can't always go on the pill whilst breastfeeding and do you have to wait for your next period to start the pill again (as I have done in the past), even though again I have heard that you periods are rare to come back if breastfeeding or have none at all!!

Sorry just soo confused!! :shrug:

xx

2. tristansmum

tristansmum Well-Known Member

right so firstly you can go onto the progesteron only pill while BF... not the combination pill which is the more common one. Both are very effective but with the progesteron only pill you MUST take it at the same time each day.

You don't need to wait for your period. as you say when BF it may not come at all. The reason you normally start a pill packet during a period is to ensure you are not pregnant. assuming you have not had sex (i hadn't at 6 weeks) or you are certain you can't be pregnant then you can start whenever you like.

The 6 week check is straight forward. they did my blood pressue, felt my tummy to make sure my uterus had gone back down and he looked at my c section scar. they will not do any internal examination unless you have any problems with healing. Then we talked about contraception and he asked if there were any further questions. all very easy and straight forward. xxx

3. MissRoxie

MissRoxie Well-Known Member

I didn't have any of that? Only my baby got checked :s although he did ask me about contraception but didn't feel my tummy or tht! xx

4. JLB

JLB Well-Known Member

My dr put asked me 'if everything was ok down below' and wrote me a prescription for the pill that was it. I must admit I was expecting more as I had a third degree tear but he said the hospital or mw would deal with that!