Postpartum underwear??

maggz

Cautiously Pregnant w/ #1
Reaction score
Hey so can someone show me the best kind of postpartum underwear? Lol some of you talk about disposable ones, granny panties, mesh?? Does the hospital have them, do I bring them, do I need a lot for after the hospital stay (how long is stuff "rinsing out")?
Thanks!

The hospital will provide them. They are like mesh granny panties.

You can ask for extras when you leave.

I bought some cheap big knickers which I used while I was using the big maternity pads. Once the bleeding slowed down a bit and my stitches were feeling less sore I switched to regular pads and my normal knickers. I can't remember how long that was but I don't think more than a few days and then the lighter bleeding lasted about 6 weeks getting lighter as it went. I bought disposables but was happy with big pants so never used them.

Good to know they have some at the hospital.

The bleeding lasts that long?! Gosh, I better get some big undies then. I usually wear ones that I can't wear pads with but I guess that won't be an option (or remotely comfortable) after birth. Gahh.

I bought disposable maternity underwear and it was awful, so uncomfortable. So I bought some huge cotton underwear in black which was much better

4-6 weeks of bleeding? Geeze is it making up for the 9 months of no bleeding? I bought one package of the most gigantic pads I could find... Looks like I'll need more...

I have bought and will buy the full coverage, snug, black shorts. I bought mine at target in a pack. The idea is to buy or have something that will provide full coverage, will be snug enough to keep a large pad in place and is dark in color to hide the "leaks".

The ones in the hospital (IMO) are good for use the first 24 hours but the
Stitch loosens easily and once that happens there is no such thing as "full coverage"!

After the first 24 I throw on my
Purchases lol

The hospital provides mesh panties. I wouldn't really worry about it. Just make sure you have some heavy duty pads and treat it like a big period.

Also, I suggest making "padcicles." Pour about an inch strip of water down the middle and freeze them. Make a decent sized stack and keep them in the freezer. It can feel nice on tender bits.

Just to add, I'd get some high waisted ones just in case of c section. I ended up with a section and needed the knickers to come up and over the incision. I wore a pad in my knickers for PP bleeding and one held against my incision site for cushioning.

The day I had ds the hospital gave me mesh knickers, just while the bleeding from the stitches slowed down. Then I got up had a shower and used my black granny knickers I had brought from home with the maternity pads I had brought with me. My bleeding after birth only lasted 2 weeks 😊

Get some big, ugly granny undies. Yes, they are horrid but they are so comfy. Trust me, you want comfort over pretty! And incase you have a c section, you will need something that sits above your incision (After my first emergency section, I had to send my DH to the shops to get me some undies that didn't rub on my incision as I was completely unprepared!)

My PP bleeding was only around 2-3 weeks, it doesn't always last too long. I was still out for 24 hrs post birth (by out I mean epi and catheter) so the worst of the bleeding I was wearing no undies. I went straight back to my normal bikinis at first, but they sat right on my incision so I had to buy some high waisted undies right away.

I have many choices this time...lol.

I just buy some cheap cotton underwear, black, I have the ones that look like shorts and get them in a size bigger then usual.

As ugly and odd as the hospital disposable panties are, I was soooooo thankful for them after I had DD! I had bought a package of short like undies (like everybody else said, you want something with coverage to hold a large pad in) and I got them in a size bigger and they were sooooo uncomfortable! I've been searching around for soemthing that looks comfy for this time around, but I was bummed when I ran out of my disposable undies! Lol

I just got some cheap big pants from Primark last time & have done the same this time, so sexy!!!

When I had Alex i bled for about 5 weeks. I wore big knickers the whole time, they were so comfy! They also need to be big as the maternity pads are bigger than normal period pads. (Don't think you'll be able to get away with just using period pads, they really won't do the job!). Also, as i had a 2nd degree tear with stitches inside and out, i needed the big knickers so I had plenty of room for wearing the frozen gel pads too. I didn't discover these until a few days after the birth, but they were brilliant for pain relief and healing so I have them on standby in case I need them again right from the start. x

Mcwhmm, you can get disposable underwear on Amazon, maybe you'll be more comfortable with those?

I'm planning to use the mesh underwear the hospital provides, and I got a pack of Depends for the first day or two at home. I have big comfy underwear already, so when I'm done with Depends, I'll just try those with pads. If they don't do it for me I'll send someone shopping - I'll need more pads anyway, but I don't want to stock up til I see how everything goes and how absorbent a pad I need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->