Potty training

LynAnne

Mum to 2 Boys
Reaction score
For the last couple of weeks my 22 month old DS tells me when he has a dirty nappy and tries to take off his trousers and nappy immediately. This week he has also started to try and tell me when he has peed - or when he is wet at least. He's not yet telling me that he needs to go but telling me as soon as it has happened

I'm not sure that he is necessarily ready to start potty training full on but am I maybe as well starting with pull-ups and introducing the idea of the potty? Encouraging him to sit on the potty even if he doesn't go? I hadn't planned on starting this early but I wonder if I should be following his cues.

It's a personal decision. As long as you keep realistic expectations and don't get frustrated, you can give it a go. Pull-ups are just diapers though, so don't expect them to make a difference in the process. If you want, you can switch to underwear and that WILL make a difference, even if it doesn't lead to an immediate change in behavior. It will lead to learning and affect things over time.

My DD is the same age and seemed to have been able to feel when she has to go for quite some time, so we did end up getting a potty. We also thought it was too early but at the same time didn‘t want to discourage anything.

As of right now she used the potty most nights before bed. As soon as we undress her she wants to sit on the potty and more often than not, she does wee in it. She even pooped in it twice already (and let me say, i prefer cleaning poopy diapers instead of poopy pottys :rofl: )

She will sometimes sit on it during the day fully clothed but when I ask her if she wants to take off her diaper and use the potty she says no and goes back to playing.

Her saying she has to go can be hit and miss though. Some nights she keeps saying she has to wee but she won‘t actually do it. And that is completely okay with us.

So as you can see we‘re definitely not potty „training“ yet. She knows what it‘s for, she does use it in the evenings before bed and she especially loves using toilet paper after weeing. We‘ll just keep it at that until she gives us more signs to want to use it more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->