Potty Training?

May be a stupid question, but how can you potty train a baby of under a year that can't tell you if they need to wee or poop? Really, a genuine question, made me curious . . . x

I have no idea, she said she just used to sit her daughter on the potty and praised her when she did something

Oh right, I think IMO I will wait until she can tell me she has weed and pooped and then go from there. it would just confuse me otherwise. lol. x

My little boy is 15 months and i know he's no where near ready for potty training. Im going to give him a few more months before i introduce a potty. I wouldnt like to confuse things for him, i dont see theres any rush for it at the moment x

Blimey no! TBH let jasmine lead the way. I strated training Carly when she was 3 months away from turning three. It took ONE day to do it. Yep thats it!
No hassle nothing , i let her lead.
I introduced it at 18 months and she was no way ready , then again at 2 and she just wasnt intrested one bit!

Of course not every child is like this but a positive story for you to see that letting them take the lead may be better! :)

iether way you will know when its time! ;)

Please don't think I will PUSH and FORCE this upon Mia.
I want to try and see how she responds to it. If it is hopeless, then for sure I will drop it until much later.

I want to try and see how she responds to it. If it is hopeless, then for sure I will drop it until much later.

no one will hun we all do things differently with our children at different times and stages let us know how she gets on though would be intrested in hearing x

oo I hope i didnt come across like that ! If i did i didnt intend too :hugs:

(not just towards you but for people wanting to potty train early in general )

Thanks girls, I don't think Jasmine is ready yet either, I was planning on starting around 18months and then follow her lead, but after what my MIL said, I thought maybe I was doing something wrong x

Thats my plan too chick. Certainly not starting before 18 months I dont think unless i felt ready. But well see, im certainly not rushing into it

x

This is just my opinion based on my experience, as I've help potty train dozens of children:

11months is very young. I've never seen a baby toilet train properly under 2, and even then, if a 2 year old was toilet trained thats remarkable.

The average age we'd start is around 2, but only when the child was showing an interest. we'd just ask them if they'd like to sit on the toilt at every nappy change, so, still no pressure.

If a child wasn't showing signs of improving by around 3, we'd be planning more serious strategies with their parents.

shes 1, no pressure... and also when other parents say they're toilet trained at 1, what exactly do they mean? jasper is 8 weeks old and would do a wee every 3rd time he has nappy off time... if i happened to have him over a potty at the time i could say he was potty training at 8 weeks! take what other parents brag their babies did with the understanding they could have omitted some of the details.

This is just my opinion based on my experience, as I've help potty train dozens of children:

11months is very young. I've never seen a baby toilet train properly under 2, and even then, if a 2 year old was toilet trained thats remarkable.

The average age we'd start is around 2, but only when the child was showing an interest. we'd just ask them if they'd like to sit on the toilt at every nappy change, so, still no pressure.

If a child wasn't showing signs of improving by around 3, we'd be planning more serious strategies with their parents.

shes 1, no pressure... and also when other parents say they're toilet trained at 1, what exactly do they mean? jasper is 8 weeks old and would do a wee every 3rd time he has nappy off time... if i happened to have him over a potty at the time i could say he was potty training at 8 weeks! take what other parents brag their babies did with the understanding they could have omitted some of the details.

So True!! :rofl:

But this thread has made me think.....I am going to buy Alfie's Pot next week and just keep it in the lounge and see how he goes with it. We are going for one that looks like a proper toilet, so he may start showing some interest in play. But as alot of you have said, I will take his lead, there is no hurry.

Like someone else mentioned, Jade was older and took to it very quickly once she started too. x

I got some pressure early on to potty train (12-18 months), but I knew Bethanie wasn't ready, so just ignored the advice. I don't think she is ready even now.. she says when shes going in her nappy sometimes, but it's often too late. We will be buying her a toilet seat, she has a potty and a stand and is starting to pull her trousers up now - she has been able to do it for ages, but she refuses to pull her trousers up and down and I don't know why, she throws a huge tantrum.

I think you will be able to tell when they're ready and there is no point getting it done by 12 months if you're going to be stressed yourself, having to take them for a loo and doing everything for them. Id rather wait a few more months, whilst keeping the potty near so it stays in her mind what its for.. then wait for her to tell me when shes ready.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->