PPROM - Help!

JulieGsY

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm new to this site but let me just get straight to it.

During my current pregnancy I've had 5 Ultrasound scans - at 11 weeks, 20 weeks, 32 weeks, and two at 35 weeks. I'm now 35 weeks +3 days. Prior to the 32 weeks scan everything was fine with the baby, normal amount of fluid and placenta was not out of place. However, after my 32 weeks scan my obstetrician noticed that there was a little less fluid around the baby and that she was just below the 10th centile line on the growth chart. I was then scheduled for a scan at 35 weeks which was on Monday this week.

I went in for my scan and my obstetrician took another look at the baby. Baby was now weighing 5.0lbs but there was still less fluid around her then there was supposed to be. At that point, she asked me if I've had any pains down there or in my lower back to which I answered no, although I have had some pains in my hips which I was told was normal. But what I also told her was that I've been noticing a bit of leakage down below, which I've honestly been thinking would've been my urine as I do normally leak some of that. So, my obstetrician referred me for an emergency 2nd opinion scan with another obstetrician within 48 hours and for a liquid-tec test swab and daily CTG monitoring at the hospital. Liquid-tec swab came back negative - no signs of amniotic fluid in the vagina. Baby's heartbeat was fine and she's been keeping active and my own blood pressure was fine also. I went for the 2nd opinion scan yesterday. The obstetrician then spent a good 10-15 minutes taking a lot of measurements of the baby, such as the head, tummy and legs. I don't know what other bits he was measuring. He then went on to ask me if I've been noticing any further leakage, I said I haven't felt anything for the last couple of days. He then kept on looking around the baby and when he was finished he said to me that there was very little fluid around the baby and it was highly suggestive it could be PPROM (Preterm Prematue Rupture of Membranes), so basically my waters had broken. He went off to speak to my own consultant after which both of them re-entered the rooom at which point my consultant said to me that they're very suspicious about the little amount of fluid that there's left around the baby, and that it is highly suggestive of PPROM. Baby at the time weighs 5.1lbs and rather than risking any further complications, they would like to schedule me for a c-section next week.

I've now been told to come back for another appointment Monday next week to see my consultant and have a proper chat about the caesarean and the procedure. They've also ordered to keep up the daily CTG monitoring at the hospital, to get a full blood count and for me to report to the maternity ward if there's any changes to baby's movements.

I was in complete shock as my waters must've broken without me noticing it as I haven't felt a big gush and I thought the little leakage I had was me leaking the usual bit of urine. I also haven't been doing anything vigirously, in fact the only thing I have been doing is basic housework (doing dishes, making beds, hoovering, feeding guinea pigs). Otherwise I've just been sitting at my desk or laying in bed watching t.v.

My question to you ladies - as I'll be 36 weeks when they plan to have me in for a c-section, what are the chances that there will be something wrong with the baby i.e. is there a high risk of her having breathing or eating difficulties? Would she be able to come home with me after I've been recovering from the c-section (about 5 days to a week in hospital) or how long would she have to stay in hospital for? And what do I have to pack in my hospital bag?

My original EDD was August 8th, so if she's delivered some time in the middle of next week she'll arrive about 3 weeks prior to my EDD.

I apologise for this long story, but I really hope you'll be able to give me some much needed answers.

Thanks ladies!

- Julie

I have no help for you here. I had to deliver my 4th son a week early due to him being *small* and half my fluids gone. They to thought my waters broke. He was born with breathing difficulties (wasnt breathing on own and was taken away) and he wasnt small. they estimated him 4.10 to 5.5 and he was 7.9 LOL Go figure huh. I am quite shocked they are leaving it till then and not taking her out now. I would suggest them to take her out now. I know its safer in you but if the fluids are leaking out or disappearing, wouldnt you think thats not safe? Either way THINK POSITIVE. the doctors know what they are doing and they wouldnt risk you or baby. I am glad they are taking her c section, that be easier. I had to be induced. Ugh.
Update if you can. congrats on your little girl being born soon.

I don't have any experience to share hun, but I would imagine everything will be ok. 36 weeks is just a week shy of full term, and your waters didn't break that much earlier so I think she should be fine. The doctors will be suggesting what's best for you and baby.. As much as I'm opposed to c-sections this is the sort of situation that does perhaps call for one.. have a good chat with them and see what's best for you all :hugs:

PPROM - is really dangerous around or before 22 weeks as up till 22 weeks you have critical lung developement, often with PPROM you will go into labour 24-72 hours after the PPROM.

I had PPROM at 20.6 weeks and my son was born at 27.1 weeks gestation - for us it was not a good outcome due to the earlyness of the PPROM.

My consultant told me that if I got to 32 weeks they would have a party! obviously never got that far. So the fact you were over 32 weeks when they noticed lack of fluid is a brilliant sign. Ask your consultant/gp/midwife all of your op questions - knowledge is power and the more you know the better. I wouldn't google PPROM - I did that for 6 1/2 weeks and believe me it will uncessarily scare you rigid.

I was in hospital with someone who PPROM'd at 25 weeks and had her son at 27 weeks - he is now a very cheeky happy 2 year old - I see his pics on facebook. PPROM is not an exact science there (well to me) seem to be no set lot of answers but alot of stats and guess work.

Hope things go well x
Anita
P.S I didn't know my waters had gone - I just had a very very light pink discharge and rang up the hospital thinking I was being ott! It was not like my last pregnancy when I felt my waters go - but again there wasn't a huge gush although ironically my pregnancy after PPROM I had too much fluid and had to be induced at 39.3 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->