• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Pre-birth HV visit - UK ladies!

Zebe

Happy Mama
Reaction score
Happy new year everyone!

So, I'm 34 weeks and received a letter saying we have HV coming in 2 weeks for a pre-birth visit. No bother.

However, the letter says 1130. I need to collect our daughter from preschool at 1200. We live next door to the school so I only need to leave 5 mins before but I don't want to be practically shoving the woman out the door after only 20 minutes... Even less if she's late!

So question is, has anyone had a visit yet and if so, roughly how long do they last? I've tried calling (to give her a heads up or change the appt time) but they never answer the phone.

Mine was about 30 mins but I was talking a lot about my history so could have been shorter. The pre birth visit was on time. The hv who came post birth was well over an hour late.

Thanks ladies! :flower: Think I'll just give her a heads up when she arrives that I have to dash at 1155! My girly comes first!

What do they talk about at this visit?? Im 37 weeks now and not heard anything.. The hv that always seems to cover this area irritates me so much was kind of hoping I wouldn't hear from them! Just wandering if the visit is actually useful.. Baby number 4 now so sure what them visiting pre birth could bring!!

I'm another one who's curious as to what these visits are about?

It's in my maternity notes on the appointment list but my MW crossed it out saying they very rarely happen :wacko:

They just sit and have a chat with you, get to know you, ask about your family and your childhood, finances, work, tell you what they're there for and who to ring if you need anything. Mine was about an hour long when I had mine with my son. I loved my health visitor though so could have sat and talked with her all day!

They just sit and have a chat with you, get to know you, ask about your family and your childhood, finances, work, tell you what they're there for and who to ring if you need anything. Mine was about an hour long when I had mine with my son. I loved my health visitor though so could have sat and talked with her all day!

I wish I felt like that about mine.. Think I would find her asking me all those questions a complete invasion of privacy.. I don't know what it is about her but she just drives me mad!!keeping my fingers crossed I don't hear anything..!!

You might not with it being your 4th, I think you'd be fine to decline a visit if they offered one?
I found it really helpful, especially with it being my first, because I wasn't sure what they were for and everyone had just basically told me they were judgemental women who come and tell you how to look after your baby.

If you know yours and they've met you and you've been through this 3 times I don't see why they'd need to visit before baby comes?

i have one for next week just rechecked time and its 15mins before nursery drop off so i wont be able to do , i never had post birth visit with dd just after sow her once and that was it think i mite just decline the visit as i really dont see the point

I really hated mine it was about 45 minutes and I left her really bad feedback
Proper stuck up woman really irritating

Wouldn't take no for an answer when I said I'm not breastfeeding. Went on and on that I could express etc - I don't want to!
Then wanted to talk about 'feelings'

Seriously ill lose my patience the next time she comes, she can check baby and go because I don't need or want her advice

(Sorry for the rant..)

i have one for next week just rechecked time and its 15mins before nursery drop off so i wont be able to do , i never had post birth visit with dd just after sow her once and that was it think i mite just decline the visit as i really dont see the point

I didn't know if you could decline? I want to decline mine because I couldn't stand her, and I don't want her back
I really don't need or want to hear her advice- but then I don't want to end up on some naughty list lol

Her time would be better spent with people that need it. We have a great stable home, me and my husband are more then prepared for baby and have all the advice I need off my mum and my own research etc.

I had my pre birth visit a couple of weeks ago and this is baby number 8. I had a HV and her student and they were both really nice. I didn't know you could decline either but I never do, I just go with the flow. They asked about support network, asked if there was any history of PND, how I was feeling now etc. I don't mind them coming to be honest, although it's number 8 things change so much from year to year with guidelines etc so I am always interested to learn even if I don't agree with or use their advice.

I didn't know if you could decline? I want to decline mine because I couldn't stand her, and I don't want her back
I really don't need or want to hear her advice- but then I don't want to end up on some naughty list lol

Her time would be better spent with people that need it. We have a great stable home, me and my husband are more then prepared for baby and have all the advice I need off my mum and my own research etc.

i shall find out tomorrow and let u know i just dont see the point i dont need or want a hv im fine them coming for baby check up but bar that no ty lol

I am tempted to decline the pre birth visit if they contact me to be honest, i think my hormones make me more intolerant than u would normally be but I have never found any visits helpful. I am fine with them coming post birth to make sure baby is all ok, although I did get a little agitated with the one after my ds was born doing all the checks with him screaming that had only been done the day before by the midwife.. I did ask why it was necessary when they has literally only just been done and she said it's because they have different records! I do appreciate they have a job to tho.. I just find the constant personal questions a bit too much!

im just the same i have no filter while im preg just say what i think with out thinking at mo id prob end up upsetting them lol

I've never been offered this (I get the impression the Hv service is overstretched in my area as it is!) but I think I'd decline it. I've only seen our current Hv twice (had a nursery nurse for dd2's one year review) and both times although she was visiting for dd2 she spent ages talking to dd1 and was asking me loads of questions about her. Kind of went beyond just acknowledging her and felt a bit invasive, I felt like reminding her she was here to see my baby :p

just to update i rang number on letter i got told her i couldnt do appointment and was busy till due date was told no problem ill see you after babys been born as visits b4 baby are optional

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->