Pre eclampsia and eclampsia Spoiler Downton Abbey

Missy86

Family complete
Reaction score
So I was watching downton last night and Lady Sybil died after her baby was born from eclampsia

I always thought that the cure for this was to have the baby, have I got it wrong

Eclampsia is the last and most severe stage of Preeclampsia and when its left untreated can cause seizures comas and death but it can happpen before during or after birth, but generally hospitals will have you birth the baby at the earliest stages before it gets to that if they can x

I think from my understanding is if you get diagnosed with eclampsia its almost a death sentence, it's very rare though.

Getting the baby out at the pre e stage is the way to stop full blown eclampsia in most cases

Eclampsia can still happen after the birth though I think, I know I was watched like a hawk cos my bp hadn't gone down over a week later

I think from my understanding is if you get diagnosed with eclampsia its almost a death sentence, it's very rare though.

I had eclampsia and I'm still here to tell the tale!!:haha:

Well done, I might not be right, I have very little experience of obstetrics other than training years ago. I was also under the impression is was extremely rare except in countries with lack of antinatal care.

Glad your ok, was your baby ok?

Well done, I might not be right, I have very little experience of obstetrics other than training years ago. I was also under the impression is was extremely rare except in countries with lack of antinatal care.

Glad your ok, was your baby ok?

Yes fine!! Although I was diagnosed with eclampsia ( and I'm no doctor!) my symptoms fit more with HELLP syndrome so I'm not 100% sure about it!

I was fine, wondered what the fuss was about even when they said my liver and kidneys were starting to fail, I thought they were just being a bit 'worst case scenario'!

My sister wasn't as lucky, she had pre E on all 3 pregnancies, her first has cerebral palsy I believe as a result of the eclampsia , her 2nd ones were fine although she nearly didn't make it on all of them.

Hey, can you not put a spoiler alert on this! I was just sitting down to watch it on record :growlmad:

In most cases yes but some people no. It take a long time for my BP to be undercontrol after delivery x

I had pre-eclampsia with Thomas, I took the turn for the worse after I'd had him.

Like others have said pre-eclampsia is the first stage (though still very serious) and eclampsia is full blown. The exact cause isn't known but it's basically the placenta causing the symptoms and so it can't be cured without getting the placenta - and hence baby - out. This isn't always the cure in itself and meds are sometimes needed too.

I had hellp syndrome which is a rare complication/form of pre-eclampsia /eclampsia. I had an emergency section as there wasn't time to induce, hellp is so threatening. I was on some really strong meds afterwards to treat the hellp, I had numerous drips and oxygen etc and had to stay in high dependency unit for a week. I survived to tell the tale though fortunately, fatality from hellp is quite high globally but virtually non-existent in UK luckily for me, I guess that's a sign of the importance of detection and medical care available. I had no idea how ill I was before the took my down to surgery, I kept saying "yes just do whatever is best for the baby", it was only afterwards I found out that Isobel's heartbeat was perfect and they were worried about me not her!

Makes you appreciate how lucky we are to be giving birth in privileged circumstances and the medical knowledge we have today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->