pre-IVF anxiety... Help!!

@WinterBub from what I've been researching I think the most important thing is to go to the place with the best embryologists

Thank you, that's a really good tip. I guess that's +1 for the local option, as they apparently have an expert in PGS testing there. Not sure if id ever know who would do any of the steps in the big hospital system!

Been thinking of you, and hoping that y'all get great news today! [-o<

I posted this question elsewhere, and just thought I'd ask your opinion, given that you've been through an IVF cycle-
We have two IVF options.
1. Clinic run by one doctor, very short and easy drive, do like the Dr, didn't like the business feel of the office. Expert in genetic testing seemingly runs that part of it.
2. Large hospital system IVF program. Would have the security of a large system, but have to drive an hour into downtown city. Likely less personable experience.

Just curious which you think the smarter choice would be!
Thank you! And I personally would go with a smaller clinic. My clinic has two doctors - a mother and son, and a handful of nurses, and I trust them so much and love how personable I feel in that small environment. I don't think I would like a larger scale clinic personally, but I think you should go with your gut instincts :) I would go with whoever you feel safest with and like you can trust them because you are going to be spending A LOT of time there. Also, you may not want somewhere with a long drive because you will eventually need to go in for daily monitoring appointments. My clinic was literally 4 miles from my job so I could go there before work and then go straight to work and it worked out perfectly. I hope that helps!!

Fertilization update: Out of the 36 retrieved, 22 were mature and 18 fertilized! I'm still shocked at that number. As long as I continue to do well in recovery and don't develop severe OHSS symptoms, the plan is to do a fresh transfer on Monday morning (2/21)!

That's fantastic! I'm so glad that all the pain, discomfort and time/effort paid off. How exciting!!! ❤️ Good luck- hopefully everything is looking good and you can do the transfer on Monday. And not to get too far ahead ...but that's amazing that you may even have not just one baby as an embryo now, but future siblings too :shock: wild!

Thank you for the advice about the clinic choice, too. I think I will always feel a bit weird about the whole thing TBH. It seems like such a big thing to trust somebody with. But maybe the local and smaller office is the better choice. I'd be able to do appointments without timing them being a drama for a start. Anyway- gotta take OH to meet the Dr and see what he thinks as step #1!

We did our fresh embryo transfer yesterday! It was honestly a surreal experience. They gave us a picture of our beautiful little embryo and recorded a live video of the embryo bubble moving through the catheter into my uterus. My appointment was running a little behind so I had to partially empty my bladder 3 times before we finally did the transfer because I was so uncomfortable (lol), but it was honestly such a great experience. Now I'm just hoping my little embryo nestles nicely into my uterus. Unfortunately many of the other embryos didn't make it, but I think they were planning on freezing 1-2 more yesterday and they were going to watch 2-3 more until day 7 to see if they are good enough quality to freeze. So after this, I'm hoping we have about 4 more embryos in the freezer.

That's amazing! Your are now pregnant until proven otherwise, best wishes!

I'm sorry that more embryos didn't make it. But overall, that's amazing news. I like @elencor 's expression- you're now pregnant until proven otherwise! ❤️ Here is to hoping all goes well and you get the official BFP shortly! Do you know the sex of the embryo they put back in??

I'm sorry that more embryos didn't make it. But overall, that's amazing news. I like @elencor 's expression- you're now pregnant until proven otherwise! ❤️ Here is to hoping all goes well and you get the official BFP shortly! Do you know the sex of the embryo they put back in??
Nope, we chose not to do the genetic testing (mostly because it would have made this one cycle over $20,000), but my doctor probably wouldn't have recommended it anyway since we ended up with fewer blastocysts than expected. They did end up freezing 3 good-quality blastocysts, so it's fewer than I had hoped but I'm still very happy that we have a few. I'll be so thrilled regardless of sex (but I'm really hoping for a boy). This two week wait is going to be so hard! I'm trying so hard to be positive, but this is way harder than expected after so many failed IUIs. I don't even know what it would feel like to have a positive pregnancy test, but my fingers are crossed and I realize everything's out of my control at this point. I'm just trying to stay off Google because I'm the WORST at symptom spotting, especially because I'm on progesterone injections which cause all sorts of pregnancy-like side effects anyway.

Ugh, it must be so nerve wracking! Are you going to take a home pregnancy test? Or do they tell you not to and that they will test in the clinic on a set date? I happened to see on another thread a reference to "testing the trigger out". So if you plan on doing any HPTs, it seemed like a good tip to test now to see if you come up positive because of the drugs. I guess the theory is that if you get to negative and then it comes up positive later on, then that's a genuine BFP.

With all that being said, the wiser option is probably to wait and test at the time they tell you to! :oops: :-k:dohh:

I don't even know what it would feel like to have a positive pregnancy test
I totally get that, I would be completely out of my mind during the two week after a transfer. But just know all of our fingers are crossed for you!

Ugh, it must be so nerve wracking! Are you going to take a home pregnancy test? Or do they tell you not to and that they will test in the clinic on a set date? I happened to see on another thread a reference to "testing the trigger out". So if you plan on doing any HPTs, it seemed like a good tip to test now to see if you come up positive because of the drugs. I guess the theory is that if you get to negative and then it comes up positive later on, then that's a genuine BFP.

With all that being said, the wiser option is probably to wait and test at the time they tell you to! :oops: :-k:dohh:
It's the worst. I feel like I have been traumatized from so many past failures so I'm hyperaware of every little twinge I feel in my body and I start to feel discouraged if I don't "feel" pregnant. I go in for my beta HCG blood test next Thursday but I will definitely be testing before then, I feel like I need to be mentally prepared for whatever results I get (hopefully positive though). I did a test this morning just to see if the trigger shot is still in my system and it's not, so at least I know that any positive test I do have would be a real BFP. I think they say it takes 1 day per 1000 USP units of HCG trigger shot to leave your body, and my dose was 5000 USP units, so by that logic, it would have been gone in 5 days! Many people inject 10000 USP units, so that's why it can take 10 days or possibly more for some people! I'm feeling a little bummed today, not sure if it's the hormones or just my fear getting to me, but hopefully it will pass. The progesterone has been giving me really nasty AF-like cramps since I started them, so I think that's what throws me off the most. Uggh. The tww really messes with your mind!

How are you going @elencor ? How's the weight loss going? I've just started to try and lose weight again this week. So far, I think I've lost a pound. So 12 more to go to goal #1 (upper end of healthy for my height). And 15lb more (not sure if I can do that for real) would be what I consider ideal. But :shrug:. Just trying to be more active and eat healthy/lower calories. Weight/PCOS certainly aren't helping whatever my issues are. I've also read up on various vitamins that are meant to help with egg quality. Worth a try!

That's good that you know your trigger is gone, Megan. I have everything crossed for you!! I was watching a YouTube channel called "Taylor R" earlier. Ive never been into YouTube, but kind of got sucked in! Shes like 8m pregnant with an IVF baby- so nice to see a happy ending. The hormones definitely mess with you- and they give you so much through this whole process. I wish that I could fast forward and let you know the outcome (and that it would be a BFP). I just assumed they always knew/told the gender with ivf. So, there ya go- learned something new! Will you find out if all goes well? Or would you consider waiting until birth? Fingers crossed all is going well, and you've got a little baby settling in. ❤️

@WinterBub weight loss is going really bad at the moment, I've been eating terribly this week because of anxiety, but tomorrow I plan to start dieting again. You are right having an adequate weight is really important for health in general and pregnancy in particular! Good luck to you and congrats on the pound lost! The most difficult is to start

Just a quick update... I'm not feeling optimistic about this cycle. Pregnancy tests are still negative and my cramps are in full swing. I'm feeling extremely depressed and hopeless at this point. If my beta shows I'm pregnant, it will be an absolute shock because I definitely feel like I'm about to start my period. I've been preparing my partner for the possibility of a failed cycle and have been crying off and on the last 2 days. It's just a gut feeling that it failed. If I'm not pregnant, I will be setting up a consult with my RE and we will come up with a plan for a FET hopefully soon. I'm not even going to bother worrying about money anymore because we've already spent $20k, what's another $5k at this point? We will likely have to take out another loan if we do an FET but at least the hardest part (the stims and egg retrieval) will be out of the way. idk... I guess I'm a little numb at this point. Super bummed. Idk how I'm going to go to work today feeling like this, but alas, I need to make $... I hope you guys are doing well! Sorry for being such a bummer today.

It's hard to lose weight, isn't it? I feel like I look at something bad and gain at the drop of a hat, but have to work really hard to lose any. :dohh: Good luck starting again, Elencor!

I'm sorry, Megan. I hope you are pregnant, and I wish that I could at least look ahead and let you know what happens. :hugs:FYI- I had cramping when I was (for real) pregnant with my LO. And I promise I'm not one for offering false hope. So, I say prepare for the worst, but you're not out just yet. It's such a rollercoaster, and I'm sorry that you're feeling down. I hope that work went alright today in the end. What was your reason for ending up with IVF? I've been reading that that makes a big difference in rates of success.

Thank you for the words of encouragement. We ended up trying IVF because 4 rounds of IUIs failed. My RE sees nothing anatomically wrong, my lining looks perfect, no history or signs of endo, all diagnostic tests are normal (HSG, etc.), hormones look good, tubes look good, my RE doesn't even believe I necessarily have infertility, but for some reason I just haven't gotten pregnant. I do have a lot of stress and anxiety so I'm not sure if that is playing a bigger role than I thought. I've been doing fertility acupuncture and eating healthy and focusing on my mental health. I think it will happen, it's just a very frustrating journey.

Im sorry- how frustrating to not have an answer as to why. Here's to hoping that the acupuncture and everything else will help. I was considering trying that too. I still have everything crossed that this cycle was successful for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->