Pre-school kids ??

sabby52

Mother, Nanny
Reaction score
I put this in the toddler and pre-school section but I thought I might get some more answers here :flower:

Is there anything they NEED to know for starting pre-school ?? I mean like something a pre-school teacher would expect a 3-4 year old to already know.

I know for the pre-school he is going to he has to be potty trained, but thats all I can think off. Plus what are they expected to know in the way of colours, numbers, letters ect. ?? Thanks :flower:

The lucky thing about pre-school is that all they do is based on fun and the learning comes through that.

Basic personal hygiene is a definite plus! But as you say he's potty trained so should be ok.

My LO just turned 3 when she started and could name a few colours, and recognise her name (as a written word) but to be honest she didnt know much more. And they didnt really expect her to know that from what I remember.

She loved pre-school and developed alot through it.
Picking up a good routine and enjoying everything without stress is the best thing.

Hope he has a fab time when he goes :)

Not really, they learn it mostly in the preschool setting, through play. My son has been in preschool daycare since he was one so he has some knowledge of colors, numbers and letters but they really taught him a lot in his 2-3 year old range of classes. I bet your little one knows more than you think :D You could always talk to the teachers and see if they have any recommendations :)

pre-school is about the kids having fun,playing and their pick things up everytime they go.Wouldnt say kids have to know things before they go,like you said long as they know about the toilet and washing their hands maybe should be fine :)

I just realised that pre-school means different things in different places, I am talking about pre-school as in the year before primary 1. Dec will be 4 the month after he starts pre-school. :) I dont know if that makes a different, but I know in some places they call play group, pre-school iykwim. Dec is in play group at the moment which is just play and basic learning, so I just wasnt sure what they need for pre-school. Am I even making sense now ??? lol

In the preschool my 3.5 yr goes to - they do assessments to see where the children are at. I just found out my son knows his colors, numbers (counting to 20), and letters. And suprisingly he knows the days of the week and months of the year. That I did not expect, but his preschool is structured. In the morning, they do calendar time, story time, worksheets that work on tracing shapes and letters. His school has targeted classes for phonics, math and music. He will start the phonics class in May.

So - depending upon the preschool your child attends may determine what he/she learns before kindergarten.

Yes its weird cause different areas call things differently so we all get confused about playgroup, pre-school and primary school.

My ds was at a nursery/pre-school nursery until he was 4. He turned 4 in July 2010 and started what we call Reception Year at proper primary school at 4 years 2 months (sept 2010) He is 5 this July and in Sept will move into primary year 1.

They start "proper school" at the start of the school year in which they become 5 so some start at only just over 4 others are nearly 5 depending on when birthays fall in which month.

I found for reception year at infant school it was handy that my ds knew how to dress himself undress etc obviously not tricky buttons though, he did know some numbers, recognised all letters and colours shapes, days, months etc, but having said that if they dont know it they start from the begining so teach them it anyway.

Dont worry too much, even reception year at infant school (4/5 year olds) are not expected to do that much.

I am amazed how much ds has come on learning to write since sept.

hope you lo enjoys pre-school/reception year etc. xx

Madeleine starts in the 'reception' class in September. She knows most colours, can count to ten, and she can recognise a few letters but not that many. She knows M is for Madeleine, and can write an M. She can also (just about) recognise written numbers, ie: 1, 2, 3... up to 10. She can also dress herself and go to the toilet on her own.

I think though that they start right from the beginning with everyone though? So if yours can't do some things he'll learn to catch up very quickly.

Thanks everyone, I think he is round about the same as most other 3 year old so I am hoping he will be fine, at the moment he can

Count to 20 and identify numbers 1-10
Knows all his letters and can say the alphabet
knows most colours, he still cant identify green and yellow :shrug: but he knows all the rest
he can write and spell his name
he can write a few simple words like bee, cat dog ect.
He can write some numbers
He can go to the bathroom on his own
He can almost dress himself, not quite there yet !!! lol
Just recently he has learnt the days of the week, but there is still the possibility of getting muddled with them !!! lol

He started playgroup when he turned 3 so I think he has learned a lot from that, I know I certainly didnt teach him all the letters so I am guessing they have done some and as for the days of the week I thought they were at least 6 before they even attempted that, so again he must have learned them in playgroup.

Thanks for all the replies, I think I can relax a little now :flower:

All registered establishments (birth to 5) must follow the Early Years Foundation Stage - its very good, my son has learnt so much:
https://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parent...NurseriesPlaygroupsReceptionClasses/DG_171007

You are right! You don't have to worry because your child seems right where he should be. Great job, Mommy!

Thanks everyone, I think he is round about the same as most other 3 year old so I am hoping he will be fine, at the moment he can

Count to 20 and identify numbers 1-10
Knows all his letters and can say the alphabet
knows most colours, he still cant identify green and yellow :shrug: but he knows all the rest
he can write and spell his name
he can write a few simple words like bee, cat dog ect.
He can write some numbers
He can go to the bathroom on his own
He can almost dress himself, not quite there yet !!! lol
Just recently he has learnt the days of the week, but there is still the possibility of getting muddled with them !!! lol

He started playgroup when he turned 3 so I think he has learned a lot from that, I know I certainly didnt teach him all the letters so I am guessing they have done some and as for the days of the week I thought they were at least 6 before they even attempted that, so again he must have learned them in playgroup.

Thanks for all the replies, I think I can relax a little now :flower:

Hi Sabby
You are right that parents do play a vital role in a child's learning, right from the start. Education is a collaborative learning process and in the early years (pre-school) the best schools lay the foundation for engagment on all levels; through active play, academic concepts embedded in a context that has meaning to the children and peer groups. As a parent, active participation is a valuable way for you to enrich the learning your child is doing in pre-school.

Schools play a pivotal role in building a child’s skills and knowledge base. Every school’s primary curriculum is designed to give the child career a solid foundation keeping in mind a deep understanding of children’s developmental levels. Schools should not only provide quality education to children but also offer exclusive exposure to an array of subjects; physical education, design/art, and technology to name a few.

All registered establishments (birth to 5) must follow the Early Years Foundation Stage - its very good, my son has learnt so much:
https://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parent...NurseriesPlaygroupsReceptionClasses/DG_171007

:happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->