Prednisone

JASMAK

Mom of three
Reaction score
My daughter has to be on prednisone for several days for a bad reaction to a wasp sting. I have heard prednisone is bad. Is it?

No it's not bad. It's a steroid and has very little when it comes to side effects .

My DD had taken prednisone once before for an allergic reaction. She didn't have any side effects. People take it long term for things like autoimmune disorders and I think side effects come into play more with long term use. My grandmother was on it for lupus and I know she gained a fair bit of weight an had some spaciness and mood issues, but nothing that made it a poor choice for managing the lupus.

It is a corticosteroid, not to be confused with anabolic steroids! She'll still be able to play professional baseball and ride in the Tour de France.

Yeah I heard about weight gain and mood changes.....and then she was super emotional tonight, but probably not from it. I just dont want anything negative, but its only for a few days so that is good.

Recovering for an allergic reaction can make someone super emotional. Your body responds with adrenaline so it is normal to have a crash afterward.

Recovering for an allergic reaction can make someone super emotional. Your body responds with adrenaline so it is normal to have a crash afterward.

Oh, good point. Never thought about that. She also just got braces, and I think its causing her some discomfort, plus she has autism...so things different can really throw her off. I gave her some advil and benedryl before bed, so hopefully she gets a good rest in. She has a loooong day tomorrow, unfortunately. She goes to before school care at 7:30am and then I don't pick her up until 5pm. Not the best day for it, under the circumstances, but hubby took today off to be with her, so we cant take more time off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->