Preemi development milestones

beachlover1

Pregnant and mummy of one
Reaction score
Ok, my little man was born at 36+3...I know its not as prem as most people on here, but scary enough for me!!!!

I was wondering what preemies are like with their milestones...ie first smile etc. Are they delayed and basically go by their true due dates?? anyone got an experience of a not so preemie preemies first smiles etc??

I was just wondering really, as my LO is now 5 weeks with an adjusted of 1 week and i was pondering when he might give me a smile...soon or in about 5 weeks type thing??:wacko:

Whats everyone else finding??? xx

I think ive heard others say that generally theres not much of a difference. My friend had a 36 weeker, who doesnt act slower or 'prem' in any way

I suppose you need to look at the fact that a due date is only estimated too :)

I wouldn't have thought at 36+3 it would make much difference as if he'd been born 4 days later he'd have been term. I only know 2 people with 36 weekers and both are exactly the same as term babies and reached their milestones at the same time as other term babies.

With Abby (11 weeks early) we were told to go by corrected age, i.e assume at 6 months, she should be doing what a t month old is doing. Some stuff she does early, others she's very late.

But as others have said, 3 weeks isn't much when it comes to development milestones so I wouldn't worry. In fact, we don't pay much attention to milestone charts. Every 6 months or so we have a look and if she is there or there abouts we're happy with that. If she is more than a couple of months behind her corrected age, we check it out with her health visitor.

Maddie was born at 34 weeks. This is terribly to say but I can't remember when she first smiled but I'm pretty sure it was about 6 weeks ish so that would be a corrected age of 0! Physically she is now bigger than most other 5 months olds and she is very strong but she was a bit behind in things like grabbing and holding toys, putting things in her mouth, cooing and giggling. She was probably about 3 weeks behind most of these things so not the full 6 weeks corrected age if that makes sense. As some of the others have said, I don't really look at milestones, its more what I notice other babies of a similar age doing. She isn't rolling yet which I think she should be but thats fine by me, at least I know she'll still be where I left her if I leave the room!!!

Dylan was six weeks early and is now 9 weeks old, we're still waiting for that first smile, we've got a faint grin and we're happy with that for the minute. The Hv's dont get concerned until their adjusted age has passed xx

Ellie was born at 34+6, and I haven't noticed any significant delays in her development. The HV did a 3 month check and was happy enough, but still said she'd do it again in 5 weeks to compare her adjusted age. I think it was only the head lag she was going to have to recheck.

My little girl was born 7 weeks early and is now 12 weeks old ( 5 weeks), she's hitting all the milestones expected at 12 weeks - she's even rolled over once! Although she is still much smaller than your average 12 week old, but that is to be expected.

She isn't rolling yet which I think she should be but thats fine by me, at least I know she'll still be where I left her if I leave the room!!!
We always said the same. We loved that we could leave her and she'd be there when we got back. Now at 16 months, its still the same, we're not so happy about it!!!

But she'll get there in her own time.

Maddison was born at 36+1, and seems pretty delayed..

She first smiled at 12 weeks (actual age).. Still hasn't rolled over at 5 months, still hasn't slept through, she has just started giggling.. but then she's quite advanced at the same time, she held her head up at a few weeks old, she's been able to grab things for a few weeks, her hand/eye co-ordination is amazing

I don't really have much to compare her to apart from reading other babies milestones on here, i don't see it as her being 4 weeks early though, i just think all babies are different xx

Harry was born at 35+3 (8lb 13oz!!) and hes doing great. He hit all the milestones on time. He's just coming upto 7 months and hes crawling comando style :haha: soooo cute.

My daughter was born at the same gestation and we were told to go by adjusted age - certainly for weight and size. I know it's only really a few days but there were some differences in the early days but she very quickly caught up and now at 20 months has overtaken many of her peers.

I would still go by adjusted age, that way you won't worry too much. But I would also say, don't pay too much attention to the milestone charts in the books. You will soon learn to tell if your baby is developing fine or not. And they all seem to hit some milestones early and others late. Every baby is different, the only thing they have in common is that none of them have read the books!

Mikayla was 7 weeks early and first smiled on her due date - corrected age of 0!
She has pretty much done everything she should by actual age for the first year. She never walked until she was almost 16 months though - but this can be classed as normal. My others walked around their 1st birthday so to me this was slow. Also she is 18 months now and doesn't talk - only babbles. Again this is slow to me but drs not worried.

Every baby is different. I used to be obsessed with milestones, now I have given up, Emily does everything in her own time. She took ages to smile, took ages to move from Stage 1 weaning to Stage 2 and now she refuses to crawl, won't budge, however will walk around holding onto you with 1 hand. All babies are different.
That smile will come, be patient.
x

^^^ I agree. When you have a preemie, any rule book goes right out the window. Its a shame most health visitors do not understand and expect everything to be textbook.

I worried about development for too long, I decided to forget it and appreciate everything else

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->