Preferred side?

k4th

Reaction score
So this is what I'm currently doing....

Feed ds from one breast & then offer him the second. Sometimes he takes it & sometimes he doesn't. Then I start the next feed from the other side to the one I started with last time.

He seems to much prefer the left breast though. Or maybe I do as I get him in with my right hand & that makes it a bit easier for me?!i get longer feeds on the left & a much better latch.

I'm not going to let him just have the left breast & I'll keep offering both. I just wondered if anyone else or their lo has a preference?? Or is this unusual?

Mine has always had a preference for one side, partly due to persistent milk blisters on the other side.

My two never had a preference however I'm aware it is very common that babies do. My friends baby got to the stage where she refused one side altogether and now a year later my friend has wonky boobs as still feeding and only on one side! If LO refuses one side you can change their position to trick them so angle makes them feel it's their preferred side but where possible definitely try to ensure you always stick to keeping them using both sides as it's easier for you in the long run

Mine has preferred the left from day 1.

we also seem to favour the left side. We get a more consistent latch each time but we prefer football hold so the right handed theory doesn't hold for us. To be honest feeds that start on the right for us usually also start with an expressed bottle for an oz or so so that we are both less frustrated from the start.

:coffee:

Thanks - good to know it's not all that strange :)

My L
Is preference swapped over at about 3months. Faster flowing one was too strong when she was newborn but once she was bigger she liked the fact it came out easier and produced more.

Mine loathed the right breast to begin with - I had oversupply and horrendous letdowns, and as my right has always produced more milk, it was too forceful and she couldn't really cope with it at all until she was at least 6 months.

Needless to say, at 13 months, she now far prefers the fast flow and instant gratification of the right lol.

My firstborn and my new baby both had/have a preference for the left. I think my letdown is too strong on the right and that maybe puts them off?

Yes, my baby always prefer the left side. The latching position on the left side will be comfortable for my baby I guess.

Mine most definitely prefers the right side. About a week after his birth my left nipple got so chapped it had scabs all over it and has never been the same again! It's just an odd shape now haha, so he's not as fond of it anymore. If only he knew it was his lazy latch in the beginning to blame!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->