Pregnacy with no healthcare..

paintrider89

Reaction score
Sorry ladies if this is long. Rant, cry, sob. Rant some more..
So to sum it up without a ramble, I live in US. Don't have health insurance, and 10 weeks along. With my two older kids I qualified for state coverage health insurance. But now we make $400/month to much for me to be covered this pregnancy.
My kids still qualify and are currently on the State Medicaid for children. In face we could make another $500+ a month before they wouldn't qualify.
However the baby I am carrying is apparently not as important.
So here I go looking trough ways to get myself covered, but oh, open enrollment isn't until January. And being pregnant is not a qualification for 'special enrollment'. But after the baby is born we can qualify for a life event special enrollment. WTF good is it to get insurance after baby is born. I still have to cover all my costs by cash for pregnacy and birth, and baby will qualify for state insurance as soon as it is born. So that seems pretty pointless to me.
So here I sit, have not had an appointment, will be cancelling the one I made with my OB, because I absolutely cannot pay cash.
No wonder so many women in America go without prenatal care. If you arnt planning a baby a year ahead of time, and have jobs, you are fu**ed.
I should be able to get it in January during enrollment time, if I can find something we can afford (for instance insurance through hubby's work is 800/month). But I will be well over half done by then, if they accept with pre existing condition (pregnancy).
Told my mom I was just gonna have to wait until I deliver and pray for a healthy baby.
She didn't think I was funny.

Hello sorry to hear about your situation. Im from a different country. Doesnt the US have government clinics? Just wanted to know because in SA we have government clinics/hospitals and they are free

I'm so sorry you're going through this too :hugs:. I really hope you can figure something out soon. I ended up not being seen until I was 20 weeks along because that's when I finally got Medicaid. I don't know if this will help or not but one of the doctors told me that Medicaid is retroactive. Maybe you could still go to the doctors and tell them that you are on the waiting list to be approved for Medicaid? I wish I knew more about how it works so I can help you. We really do need the NHS over here......

I do have an idea though, is there a way you could try a birthing center? My ex boyfriends girlfriend is an illegal immigrant (brought here as a kid) and she has no insurance. That's what she's doing right now for her pregnancy. I believe they're even able to work with you with payment plans and it's a lot cheaper.

Hello sorry to hear about your situation. Im from a different country. Doesnt the US have government clinics? Just wanted to know because in SA we have government clinics/hospitals and they are free

The government clinics take government insurance like Medicare and Medicaid. You literally can't get any medical attention for anything even to get a tooth pulled without insurance.

The government clinics take government insurance like Medicare and Medicaid. You literally can't get any medical attention for anything even to get a tooth pulled without insurance.
Oh my☹️ thats bad😟

Oh my☹️ thats bad😟

There are free clinics for some things, but it's only if the doctor chooses to do that and they have huge waiting lists.

Oh my☹️ thats bad😟

There are free clinics for some things, but it's only if the doctor chooses to do that and they have huge waiting lists.
Wow this actually breaks my heart. Wow. Thanks for explaining this to me

They don't consider pregnancy a pre existing condition anymore, since Obamacare.

Only if your homeless or make under federal poverty level. I wouldn't qualify.

They don't consider pregnancy a pre existing condition anymore, since Obamacare.

I was told twice today from private insurance companies that they will not take me for pregnacy. I would have to have been on their insurance for a 1 year minimum.

I have applied for marketplaces ACA, but won't be able to enroll until January, and I am looking at at LEAST $200/month out of pocket.

I'm so sorry you're going through this too :hugs:. I really hope you can figure something out soon. I ended up not being seen until I was 20 weeks along because that's when I finally got Medicaid. I don't know if this will help or not but one of the doctors told me that Medicaid is retroactive. Maybe you could still go to the doctors and tell them that you are on the waiting list to be approved for Medicaid? I wish I knew more about how it works so I can help you. We really do need the NHS over here......

I do have an idea though, is there a way you could try a birthing center? My ex boyfriends girlfriend is an illegal immigrant (brought here as a kid) and she has no insurance. That's what she's doing right now for her pregnancy. I believe they're even able to work with you with payment plans and it's a lot cheaper.

I have considered that. Talked to a doula friend who works close with midwives in the area frequently. And while I haven't completely ruled them out, I fear a hospital transfer (DD was an forceps assist birth) and I will be responsible for midwife costs as well as the hospital. Not to mention I would have a 45min-1 hour drive to every appointment because all midwives and birth centers are 2 towns over.
I also cook my babys really well, which means the state standard of not going over 41 weeks would mean hospital induction, also what I had to do with DD, and barely missed it was DS.

There are just so many variables, and so little options for our financial situation.

Edit to add: I was also GBS+ with DS and required IV antibiotics while in labor. Which I don't think the MV in this area offer.

Sadly, I don't even think the homeless qualify for any benefits. If there are free government clinics out there, they're not within anyone's reach especially if they have no money to get there. The only free clinics I know about are the ones that have huge waiting list and you have to show up at like 3 in the morning just to get on the waiting list.

I have considered that. Talked to a doula friend who works close with midwives in the area frequently. And while I haven't completely ruled them out, I fear a hospital transfer (DD was an forceps assist birth) and I will be responsible for midwife costs as well as the hospital. Not to mention I would have a 45min-1 hour drive to every appointment because all midwives and birth centers are 2 towns over.
I also cook my babys really well, which means the state standard of not going over 41 weeks would mean hospital induction, also what I had to do with DD, and barely missed it was DS.

There are just so many variables, and so little options for our financial situation.

Edit to add: I was also GBS+ with DS and required IV antibiotics while in labor. Which I don't think the MV in this area offer.

The good news is if you do decide to go with a birthing center they wouldn't see you that often. I think she's maybe had three appointments with them so far and she's already around 25 weeks. if you do end up having to be transferred to a hospital during delivery, at least it wouldn't go on your credit I guess......

They can be quite annoying though, I get harassed over $150 that I owe this one Hospital......

Sadly, I don't even think the homeless qualify for any benefits. If there are free government clinics out there, they're not within anyone's reach especially if they have no money to get there. The only free clinics I know about are the ones that have huge waiting list and you have to show up at like 3 in the morning just to get on the waiting list.

I was reading the website of one healthcare place that does sliding scale (income based care). And they said they offered (walk in) services to homeless and immigrants.
I may end up trying for their OB package, as DH cousin has been going to them. She paid I think $700 (income based scale again) and that did not include any labs, US, or hospitals stay. That is just for the basic see you once a month weight/hb/statics.

Other than that place I don't even know of a place that offers a income based fee, or cash payment that isn't all up front.

I was reading the website of one healthcare place that does sliding scale (income based care). And they said they offered (walk in) services to homeless and immigrants.
I may end up trying for their OB package, as DH cousin has been going to them. She paid I think $700 (income based scale again) and that did not include any labs, US, or hospitals stay. That is just for the basic see you once a month weight/hb/statics.

Other than that place I don't even know of a place that offers a income based fee, or cash payment that isn't all up front.

If you do decide to go to the walk in clinic make sure you find out what time you have to be there. I would show up a lot earlier than what they give you because they only take a certain amount of walk-ins per day. I'm glad you found that place though, that must be a gem in the rough.

The good news is if you do decide to go with a birthing center they wouldn't see you that often. I think she's maybe had three appointments with them so far and she's already around 25 weeks. if you do end up having to be transferred to a hospital during delivery, at least it wouldn't go on your credit I guess......

They can be quite annoying though, I get harassed over $150 that I owe this one Hospital......

:wacko:
Medical bankruptcies here I come.
I know I can figure this out. I am just so upset that my unborn baby is looked upon with less value than the two that I have now. Where is the logic that there is a $900 gap in what they will let you make for children already born, and being pregnant and qualifying. If that makes sense. :shrug:

If you do decide to go to the walk in clinic make sure you find out what time you have to be there. I would show up a lot earlier than what they give you because they only take a certain amount of walk-ins per day.
They do appointments for the things like OB. The walk in is for urgent care (flu, stitches, other minor things that dont require and ER).
They also do mental health and family medicine. It's a good place, my mom went through then when pregnant with my little brother 23 year ago. But she was on Medicaid, so went to them because they were close and had a dr she really liked.

I know I can figure this out. I am just so upset that my unborn baby is looked upon with less value than the two that I have now. Where is the logic that there is a $900 gap in what they will let you make for children already born, and being pregnant and qualifying. If that makes sense. :shrug:

Yeah it's pretty sad how our country can work sometimes. If you don't have the money or the insurance they could care less about you :(.

Yeah it's pretty sad how our country can work sometimes. If you don't have the money or the insurance they could care less about you :(.

That's what DH was saying. We work our butts off to be successful, pay our taxes and bills, but can't get any assistance with this situation. But I can quit my job, he can ask for less hours, and we could qualify, but we wouldn't be able to pay our bills or feed our children. I really feel like I am being forced to choose between healthcare for this baby. Or keeping my current children fed. And of course when your pregnant all of these emotions are magnified 1000000x.

And people give out about healthcare where I am from. I hope you find something that works. In Ireland and UK most pregnancy are midwife lead and we have a lot less visits than US. Maybe the midwife option will work and if you get insurance you could transfer to on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->