Pregnancy and IBS

Nita2806

Mom to 2 girls :)
Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

I have been having IBS since 2014 and after about 2 months of constant pain I changed my diet and I got it under control. Just before I got my BFP I went to see a dietitian to help me eat healthier and to make sure my IBS stays under control. Since about 5 weeks, my IBS have gotten a lot worse, I went back to the basics, to cut out gassy foods, etc. I try to keep my stress levels low and make time to relax, however these IBS symptoms seem to go completely crazy. I started taking a probiotic yesterday, which should ease up the symptoms in a few days.

Have/is anyone else suffering from IBS while being pregnant? How did/are you treating it?

I have IBS with constipation and was only going to the bathroom using enemas for the last 2 1/2 years, even through my last pregnancy. I decided I wasn't going to tolerate that anymore, and I use 3 stool softeners after every bowel movement so I know I'll be able to go again. I am also eating extra fruit and trying to drink enough water (this rarely happens). The gas and cramping, however, is something I continue to struggle with throughout my pregnancies. This is due to the hormones, and no matter what changes I make, I sometimes just have to deal with it.

I hope you manage to control yours better. This is a tough one.

Thanks for your reply, I am not looking forward to suffer with it throughout my pregnancy. I used to take some muscle relaxers to get me going and to help for the cramping, but those arent safe during pregnancy. I guess I will stick with the Probiotic for now and hope it works.

I have IBS with constipation. I was just about managing my IBS with diet pre-pregnancy and a probiotic called BioKult. I did take the occasional buscopan or windeeze if the pain was bad.

I've had to resort to taking a daily Laxido (stool softener) in pregnancy and to be fair, it's kept me feeling OK. Worth asking your doctor about, it's perfectly safe in pregnancy. There is one called Movicol as well. My anti-sickness meds and now iron tablets are awful for constipation, so Laxido is essential!

I still get a lot of gas type pains and cramps but i think that's part of pregnancy as well as my IBS!

Diet can still help in pregnancy of course, that went out the window for me until week 20 as I was so sick. I lived off bread which I usually limit significantly! I'm better now though, lots of vegetables, lentils, fruit & water!

Good luck, hopefully you'll find a way to make it OK!!

I've had IBS since I was 14 (so 2002), and I've always treated flairups with Pepto Bismol (bismuth subsalicylate). Unfortunately that's on the "absolutely not" list for pregnant women. My doctor recommended a daily regement of metamusil instead, but ick, I can't stand it. I've cut out greasy and overly fatty foods because those are problems on my period, so it seems good to avoid them now. I've had 2 bad painful gas/diahrea episodes so far during this pregnancy despite avoiding trigger foods, but that's pretty par for the course for regular life over this many weeks if I were being less careful about food.

I have IBS and I used to control it with diet. I tried doing the same as you the first few weeks of the pg but it all stopped working when MS hit me hard. Now I just try to eat and drink anything that might stay down, and it might not be the best for IBS but at this point IBS is the least of my problems. On top of that I was made to start iron 2 weeks ago which hasn't helped one bit. Sorry I know this isn't the answer you were looking for, but just wanted to say don't stress about it too much and just try eating healthy for your baby without worrying about the IBS. Hope it all works out well for you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->