Pregnancy and the flu?

Keelsx

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I going to be a FTM, and I am 2 days shy of 36 weeks! I've had my flu shot, and I have a pretty awesome immune system, haven't managed to catch anything YET. -knock on wood-

However, my 12 year old brother was diagnosed with the flu yesterday and I am the only one who is available to take care of him. I'm really worried as to whether I will catch it or not, and if it will harm the baby. I'm washing my hands and sanitizing everything like a freak. I've kept him in his room most of the time, but he comes out of his room and touches everything he possibly can, and sneezes/coughs without covering his mouth! It's driving me crazy. I had a miscarriage before this one, so I'm trying everything I can to make sure this little angel will be happy & healthy, and definitely trying to keep her toasting as long as possible.

I know nobody can say whether I will get it or not, I'm just looking for some reassurance that if I do get it, it won't harm the baby! Does anyone have experiences with this??

The issue with the flu while pregnant is the fever. So if you get it, you want to do what you can to keep your temperature down. One thing to know is that although pregnancy results in a weakened immune system, you do get an immune boost at the end. When I was in the third trimester with my first, the flu was in full swing in the classroom I worked in. I also worked with very high needs kids, so their hygiene skills were not exactly top notch. I was about the only person in the room who didn't get sick. I also never get the flu shot. It's not ideal for you to be taking care of your brother, but if you are comfortable with it and not feeling pressured into it, just keep on the look out for flu symptoms, take super good care of yourself, and hopefully you don't get it.

I had the flu before I realised I was pregnant with ds, the flu is awful but like Sarah says keep your temperature down if you do get it.
As you've had the flu jab I'm sure that you won't get it.
My husband had campylobactor food poisoning recently and we were just super strict on hygiene and thankfully ds and I were fine.
Xx

I just asked my doc about this last week. In thaw last two weeks I've been exposed to: flu, scarlet fever,strep throat, chicken pox, and mono. I've had my flu shot and all my vaccines ate updated. Doc wasn't concerned, said biggest risk is in first tri and as long as I was over 36 weeks they wouldn't worry. BUT still said to come in if fever spikes and the worst case for babies would be steroid injects for me to strengthen baby's lungs and induction if I were that sick but that by now baby would be better protected against all illnesses than I am!

I had the flu shot a few months ago and ended up catching the flu last Saturday. My doc prescribed me Tamiflu because my fever and also told me to take Tylenol cold and flu along with it. The flu shot this year doesn't cover the strain that is going around so you can still get it. I didn't want to take meds but baby had reduced movements while I was sick and was much more active after I started feeling better. Good thing the Tamiflu works fast as I felt way better the very next day.
Now if I could just get rid of this cough, I'll be 100%.

I'd be cautious with tylenol. It's easy to take the wrong dose and isn't good for the baby.

My little brother had his flu shot and still got it, so probably a different strain. I am not comfortable taking care of him but unfortunately my dad has a job where he is out of town and my brothers mother doesn't have any rights to him. I'm feeling fine so far! Thanks everyone. :)

I got the flu shot but as stated above it's not very effective this year and i dont know if it's the flu or an awful cold or something else but i am currently MISERABLE.
I've been up for 6 hours trying to sleep but unable to because my lungs are so congested.

Luckily, i havent had much of a fever at all and baby has been moving fine, but i really, really, really wish i could sleep. Especially considering this is the first night in months that my 14 month old has gone to bed at a decent time and (knock on wood) has thus far slept through the night.
He got sick first so now i know why he hasnt been sleeping! Poor kid!

That said, i have yet to take anything for it except cough drops and a long, hot bath but nothing has really helped so far. :/

Sooo yah, as others have said if you dont get a high fever your little one is prob fine, but if you're like me you may just end up miserable still. Lol.

Good luck!

This year's flu shot is pretty ineffective, so I'm glad you aren't under the assumption that you are not at risk just because you've been immunized.

Both of my children, and myself, were vaccinated for it in October, yet DD contracted it last week. She's no longer exhibiting any symptoms, and neither DS or I seem to have caught it from her. We were very diligent on keeping away from germs as much as possible. Lots and lots of hand washing and being very careful not to share eating/drinking utensils. Oh, and lots of Lysol. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->