Pregnant and Uninsured

NatashaZ

Reaction score
Greetings, I'm new and just found out yesterday that I am pregnant. We were not trying and are not married, yet here we are. I'm 26, just started a new job recently and will not have health coverage until March. He is 29 and an academic with no health coverage or income other than grants he receives. He does not know yet.

I need help figuring out how to get good, inexpensive (or free) prenatal care in the state of NY.

This is kind of surreal for me. I am trying to stay rational and sane. At first I did not want to keep it, but now I am very scared about doing everything right so that it is a healthy, happy baby.

On a side note: I lost my mom in April. She was 37 years old when she had me. I was born during a very chaotic time in her life. Despite all of it, I had a very happy childhood and positive relationship with her.I only wish I had her around longer. I know I should not use that as my logic for what to do next, but part of me is happy that this is happening now while I am young, so I can have many many years to enjoy with my family.

Look for a midwife, much less expensive. My midwife is charging me $2900 for my prenatal care, my birth and 6 weeks post natal care. I really doubt a medical doctor could come close. Plus if you birth at home, no charges for the hospital.

cor! how do you people in america afford to live?!?! $2900 dollars for a midwife?!?! i know we complain about it over her but thank goodness for the NHS!!!

A quick google and I found this: You can call 1-800-311-BABY (1-800-311-2229) to connect you to your local health care department. They should be able to help you locate some clinics that offer reduced price or even free prenatal care. It also looks like Planned Parenthood offers care based on your ability to pay (i.e. the less your income the less you'll pay for services). Good luck!

there is a medicaid plan in NY you may want to look at https://www.nyc.gov/html/hia/html/public_insurance/pregnant.shtml
, but you say you're going to have health INS as of March right? if you only need to find something until then? how many weeks will you be by then?

cor! how do you people in america afford to live?!?! $2900 dollars for a midwife?!?! i know we complain about it over her but thank goodness for the NHS!!!

I know Magicbubble, I really miss the NHS even when you have health ins out here which you could be paying $800 (505 pounds) a month for, you're still going to be paying out of pocket in my case $1500 (947 pounds) for the birth.

But I do get more scans and less waiting ;) But no gas and air! I know I've said that one a few times but really I want my gas & air :cry:

Medicaid!! I used them for a few months while pregnant with my daughter, was a TOTAL life saver. For the first few weeks before i had ANYTHING at all i had a few ER trips that were pregnancy related and they even went back and payed for those. I would still be paying medical bills if i didn't have medicaid. Good Luck!!

edited to say: Medicaid is entirely free (for me is was anyway) so deff. something to look into. Then once i was married the switch was easy, they were a blessing.

I think the average cost for an OB and hospital delivery runs just over $10,000 if you work out a deal with no insurance. If you have insurance, they usually charge the company about double that -- at least that's about what it was in MA.

I'm super excited about my $1000 co-pay for the birth, plus $20 co-pays every time I see the OB. The hubby works in MA, so we have that awesome "universal healthcare" which is just a nice way of saying we get to pay extra for our health insurance -- and it's true, we lived in MA before the law went into effect, and healthcare was much cheaper then -- or face a hefty fine at tax time. Seriously, we pay over $350 every paycheck for the family plan with the $1000 deductible, limited doctor coverage (better never travel out of MA) and exceptionally expensive prescription drugs. It's the cheapest plan my husbands job offers... it would be cheaper to take the penalty at tax time and pay out of pocket for my daughters well-child doctor visits if we weren't having another baby.

but you say you're going to have health INS as of March right? if you only need to find something until then? how many weeks will you be by then?

Thanks for the resource. As for my soon-to-be coverage, I think being pregnant counts as a pre-existing condition. Isn't that crazy?

Ughhh insurance has been stressing me out as well. I'm also in NY...look into Medicaid as someone else said...if you don't qualify, perhaps look up Cobra to get you by just until your insurance kicks in. I have insurance but will have to pick up another plan for baby once he/she is born...I have a $200 copay for all antenatal care and the birth and then I have to pay the OB $100 PLUS whatever extra doctors I need to see during the birth i.e., anesthesiologists, etc....I was looking at this yesterday and frustrating over it...I may also be seeing a $500 copay for a hospital stay. I told OH last night that he should just learn how to deliver a baby so we can do it at home. Its so expensive, I'm not sure we'll be able to afford to have a second baby!

but you say you're going to have health INS as of March right? if you only need to find something until then? how many weeks will you be by then?

Thanks for the resource. As for my soon-to-be coverage, I think being pregnant counts as a pre-existing condition. Isn't that crazy?

It did, but I would look into it as my Insurance company said as of 1st Jan work insurance can't use Pregnancy as per-existing condition. But private plans still don't have to cover you. But if you can get the Medicaid one going you don't have to worry to much :)

I'm not in NY, but moved to Cali, at 30 weeks gone and was covered straight away by DH's insurance, they didn't treat it as pre-existing so defo check into that.

If you are newly pregnant most OB's wont see you until around 8 weeks anyway so you may be able to wait until march. Also I believe there is an income cutoff for free care but may be wrong. In the meantime, keep up with prenatal vitamins and try and eat/drink healthily. Good luck hun:hugs:

First off: Congratulations!!! Secondly: I don't think pregnancy counts as a pre-existing condition when it comes to insurance. It's not an illness after all. But if you're unsure, check with your (future) insurance! You shouldn't need too much prenatal care before march if you're only just newly pregnant now?

Hi Braven, where in NY? I'm in Westchester County. I think I am going to visit my local social services office to see if I can qualify for any help. Even if it is not prenatal, but food or housing assistance, anything.

I read online that taking on a 2nd, part-time job at someplace like Starbucks or Trader Joe's can offer some minimal insurance coverage, which is better than nothing. My primary job is so demanding, though, that I can't enivision leaving here after a 10 hour work day to attend to anything other than napping.

It did, but I would look into it as my Insurance company said as of 1st Jan work insurance can't use Pregnancy as per-existing condition. But private plans still don't have to cover you. But if you can get the Medicaid one going you don't have to worry to much :)

That is good news! I will look into that. Thank you :)

Hi Braven, where in NY? I'm in Westchester County. I think I am going to visit my local social services office to see if I can qualify for any help. Even if it is not prenatal, but food or housing assistance, anything.

I read online that taking on a 2nd, part-time job at someplace like Starbucks or Trader Joe's can offer some minimal insurance coverage, which is better than nothing. My primary job is so demanding, though, that I can't enivision leaving here after a 10 hour work day to attend to anything other than napping.

I'm in Central NY, near Syracuse...I hope that you can get some answers...its ridiculous that its so costly and the more I look at the NHS overseas and the healthcare system here it frustrates me to no end. I have health insurance through my job, but my OH has no insurance. I will be able to add baby on (for a pricey fee) but because OH and I aren't married...he will still be uninsured...he makes too much for medicaid but can't afford personal insurance because his job doesn't offer it. Its such a crappy situation.

First off: Congratulations!!! Secondly: I don't think pregnancy counts as a pre-existing condition when it comes to insurance. It's not an illness after all. But if you're unsure, check with your (future) insurance! You shouldn't need too much prenatal care before march if you're only just newly pregnant now?

I have no idea what I should be doing right now as far as prenatal care goes. My best friend thinks I am too preoccupied with getting things right... I joke with her that I am starting the Tiger Mom method early :p

I just came across something else - its called Healthcore and its a project of HealthyNY. I have insurance through my employer with HealthyNY but I don't know if maybe this Healthcore is something you could look into. I just emailed them for my boyfriend...waiting to hear back.

blimey i will never moan about the NHS again! I didn't realise what NY was like for medical care including pregnancy care etc!

Hope you manage to get something sorted as cheaply as poss x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->