pregnant but negative urine tests?

Jaded11

Reaction score
So I'm new here and I hope this is the right section to post this thread in. I'm a noob to pregnancy forums altogether haha!

So my symptoms have been only progressing and my body has been changing appropriately. IF I am pregnant, I would be 12 weeks now. At this point, I have had what I think is breakthrough bleeding at the time that my period is due and this has happened twice. Both bleeds were not at all like my normal period in so many ways, especially the last one. It was mixed with a lot of egg white mucus. My stomach has been growing and changing shape week by week and I'm naturally petite so this is very strange for me and it is hard all the time. I have had the very typical symptoms: a bit of nausea, threw up only once, extreme tiredness, forgetful, hard to concentrate, vivid dreams, even dreams about positive pregnancy test and having the baby a few days prior and breastfeeding. Bowel habits changed, recently my acne has been clearing up on my face, EXTREME hunger its ridiculous, peeing very often and waking up in the night to pee. I also had dizziness, lightheadedness. I've had a lot of the symptoms and the list I'm sure goes on but cant remember them all! Lol but the strangest ones that to me, ONLY happen when your pregnant are nipples seem to be getting darker, white bumps appearing on areolas, boobs seem to be bigger (but dont feel full or heavy), veins for DAYS! All over my body veins, veins and more veins! Light blue veins, dark blue veins, purple spider veins, veins in places I've never seen veins before! A lot of them pop up from my skin now! Theyre on my feet, bottom of my feet, ankles, whole legs including knees, hips, pubic area, chest, breasts, chest to arms and whole arms, wrists and hands!! Even going down the length of my fingers!
Also, a few weeks ago after a BM, I saw that I passed what looks exactly like a mucus plug, it had to have been a mucus plug. That happened twice within almost a week apart; the second time was smaller and the third time was just little pieces after only going #1. No cramps or bleeding associated with this.

So the veins and the mucus plug, especially in combination along with my growing belly, I believe, only happen to women when they are pregnant, right? So why are my HPTs coming back negative?? It doesnt help that my doctor doesnt seem anxious to help me out too much either and thats a whole other story! I did an HPT today and BFN and I will send my urine in to the lab for them to test. I dont know why he wont send me for blood test or ultrasound! Especially the blood test! He did do a doppler today and he found my heartbeat and as he was finishing up, he moved it slightly to the left where i heard a faster heartbeat from my own and he kept it there for 2 seconds and dismissed it.

So what do you guys think? Has anyone or anyone you know experienced testing negative on urine tests even though youre pregnant? Maybe even finally testing positive once you reach second trimester?

Sorry for such a long post and thanks in advance for reading it!! :)

I forgot to add that my first "period"/breakthrough bleed was 4 days late and i havent been late in many many many years. Also my nipples have been itchy off and on and a month or so ago, my stomach was so itchy and I couldnt figure out why.
In the first 2 or more months, i could "feel" my uterus and it would be painful to move a certain way or even stand up straight. Now i still get the pains of moving or sitting a certain way or when being active, the sides of my stomach cramp up. Or sneeze like i just did haha round ligament pains? I rarely get mild cramps anymore.

Ive never been pregnant before so all of this is brand new to me!

I think your doctor is probably reluctant to help as it's extremely rare to get negative urine tests and be pregnant. Nowadays tests are so sensitive that they pick up very small amounts of hcg. Personally I'd go to your doctor, give the urine sample for sending to the lab and possibly let him examine your tummy. My concern is it could be something else other than pregnancy that may need medical attention. It really may be a case soon though of accepting things for as they are, that your getting negative tests, still having periods even if they seem different and then see if your symptoms die down. It really won't be good for you to hold on to the hope of pregnancy if your not.

I think it seems unlikely that you are pregnant if you are getting negative tests and still having a period. Can you pay for a private ultrasound to put your mind at ease? X

I'd also pay for a private ultrasound, then if you're NOT pregnant get back to your doctor and demand tests to find out what could be causing your symptoms. If they're not psychological, they need evaluating. Good luck and keep us updated xxxxxx :hugs:

I agree, get an ultrasound if you can. All the symptoms you describe can be pregnancy symptoms but can also be normal things throughout your cycle or even indicate a medical problem. I have been pregnant a few times and still when ttc some months I would have sworn I was by symptoms but wasn't. All the symptoms you describe are caused by hormonal changes which happen in pregnancy but can also happen when you're not pregnant. I spent most of my teens getting morning sickness for example and my first pregnancy wasn't until my late 20s. So get a scan to know one way or another and if you're not pregnant but symptoms persist, see a doctor about them!

I think it's very doubtful you are pregnant Hun, pregnancy tests are so sensitive these days that it's extremely unlikely not to pick up a pregnancy,
All the symptoms you are feeling can be normal to your cycle or maybe your convincing yourself that you are needing to pee more etc. I'm not saying your lying I'm just saying that if you want something bad enough you can make yourself believe what your heart is aching for. I hope you don't think I'm been harsh I just think at this stage you don't need to hear what you want to hear you need to hear the truth. If your also having periods no Matter how unusual they are your still regularly bleeding as well as having negative pregnancy tests which indicates you aren't pregnant. However a scan would be good just for peace of mind and so you can move on. Good luck with everything in the future! Big hugs I know this journey can be extremely stressful xxx

Agree with the rest hun, please book a scan, it's the only way you will get confirmation. If you are at 12 weeks, you will see a bouncing big baby moving about.

Good luck, let us know how you get on xx:hugs:

Thanks for all your inputs! Yeah, I completely understand the negative urine tests and the symptoms and bleeding.. I know that if you believe you are pregnant, you can trick yourself into having symptoms. Plenty times I thought that's what I was doing myself. However, there's no physically or psychologically possible way that I can trick my body into producing more blood. That's for absolute certain. Or pass what a mucus plug or anything that looks exactly like one. I'm a very analytical person and pay very close attention to my body and details naturally.

Im not being defensive or anything. I'm very open minded and if this is a hormonal imbalance, then that would make sense. I have researched that a lot of women do bleed in their first trimester and some all the way through and it's called break through bleeding. It's when you don't have enough pregnancy hormones so your period hormones are still coming through causing you to bleed.

Where I live, I'm not sure I can get a private ultrasound anywhere :(
Thankfully if I get a negative on urine test in the lab, my doctor wants to find out what could be going on thats causing these changes.

Thanks again guys! I'll keep you posted when I find out!!

Thanks for all your inputs! Yeah, I completely understand the negative urine tests and the symptoms and bleeding.. I know that if you believe you are pregnant, you can trick yourself into having symptoms. Plenty times I thought that's what I was doing myself. However, there's no physically or psychologically possible way that I can trick my body into producing more blood. That's for absolute certain. Or pass what a mucus plug or anything that looks exactly like one. I'm a very analytical person and pay very close attention to my body and details naturally.

Im not being defensive or anything. I'm very open minded and if this is a hormonal imbalance, then that would make sense. I have researched that a lot of women do bleed in their first trimester and some all the way through and it's called break through bleeding. It's when you don't have enough pregnancy hormones so your period hormones are still coming through causing you to bleed.

Where I live, I'm not sure I can get a private ultrasound anywhere :(
Thankfully if I get a negative on urine test in the lab, my doctor wants to find out what could be going on thats causing these changes.

Thanks again guys! I'll keep you posted when I find out!!

It would be good if your doc would just give you an ultrasound to check what is going on.

Please do keep us updated, all the best! :) Good luck x

There is a thing called a phantom pregnancy, where your mind tricks your body into thinking it's pregnant, therefore providing you with symptoms that cannot logically be explained away. Definitely get to a doctor and figure it out. I have heard of a person who never passed a urine test, for some reason they always said negative even when bloods and scans said she was definitely expecting. But it's something I've only read one case of so its extremely unlikely. Also, can you lose a mucus plug so early? With DD I lost it at the very end, haven't heard of losing it at 12 weeks

I don't think you even have a mucus plug this early. It's more likely to be normal cervical mucus (or possibly old semen if you're sexually active). You definitely shouldn't lose your mucus plug before the end of the third trimester, that would be a bad sign.

Thanks Ally, I agree. It would make sense to get an ultrasound.. maybe that will be the next step after a negative urine in the lab.

Fruitmash, I have also heard of phantom pregnancy but I wonder if this effects more women who are ttc.. i wasnt. All these symptoms are a complete surprise, but I'm over it and I merely just want answers. Ive heard of phantoms pregnancies making you feel nauseous, etc but never more blood volume. Thats literally impossible unless something is actually going on, hence my doctor wanting to find out what is going on thats causing this and not just simply washing his hands clean of me with the idea of "k, youre not pregnant,end of story" lol you know? That is weird of the case of negative urine but positive blood since they both test for hcg.. every body is different and some react strangely I guess! Yess I told my friend about the mucus plug and she said the same thing! Thats the norm but after it happene, i looked it up online and a LOT of people periodically lose their mucus plug even in the first trimester. Some result in unfortunate loss and others carry on fine with their pregnancies. One of the girls said her midwife said if there is no bleeding or cramping involved, then no need to worry. Educational websites also back this up. Also as long as there is no blood in the mucus. So it's fine to lose it but not what typically happens. Once you lose it, you regenerate it anyways. Congrats on your DD! :)

I would say it's unlikely but not impossible that your pregnant. Stranger things have happened. I really hope you get it figured out soon and I hope your doctor gives you the attention you deserve :hugs:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->