Prem baby six months and not eating

mumjaney

Reaction score
hello there,
I have a 25 week born little boy Oliver, born 1 pound 4oz. He came home from hospital after over five and a half months last week. Its been a terribly long journey and you name it he has had it. We have all settled in well except he seems to have terrible colic at night and only massaging his tummy until he trumps calms him down.

He has always fed amazingly until about three days ago when he has gone from having 5oz bottles to 1oz or 2oz bottles every five or six hours. He gets terribly grumpy and pushes it out of his mouth. I have started weening him but he won't take that either the last three days, he just starts screaming, until i give him his dummy and leave him be. Otherwise he is really settled and sleeps most of the day. He's a good weight and has never had a problem putting on weight. he also has wet nappies and dirties every other day. I am just really concerned with him not eating. Spoken to the Dr and midwife and they don't seem to be bothered until he loses weight. But surely this is not normal.
Has anyone else had a similar experience, or could give some advice?

Could he be teething? The only time Andrew lost his appetite and refused food was when he was cutting his first tooth (all the others came through fine).

Hi thanks for your posting.
I know i thought that but Dr felt his gums today and said they don't feel hard. I hope it is and maybe its just not showing as yet. Otherwise i am reather confused.

Another thought - you say he's pushing the teat of the bottles out - is he getting frustrated that the flow of milk isn't fast enough for him now? Is it maybe time to move up a teat size?

My lo did this, it is a huge worry. I think as they get bigger some babies do fluctuate, my ds became a fairly poor eater after weaning sadly but despite this has remained healthy. He does always reduce his intake if he is coming down with bug of any kind even now. As long as nappies still wet etc then he is fine and your gp is the place to confirm that which you've already done. The hardest thing is to try and relax about it but you need go try or you will end up still fretting two years later- like me.

:flower:Hi thanks for your suggestons.
i have just tred him on a 3 flow instead
and he refused that as well. After a long night yest without taking any fluids he took 4 oz this morning but has not taken any thing since. I guess you are right i will have to chill about it otherwise am going to go bonkers

You can really work yourself up about them not eating and they do generally eat when they want to but so hard at the times cos you end up trying everything under the sun. Just keep an eye on him as you are and if you are concerned take him to the docs. My DD is not eating much at the moment either, she is a lot older but goes off food when teething or sick. She has an ear infection which caused sickness so at least I know when then is better her appetite will come back.

Hi
sorry to hear your little one isnt well. Thanks for your advice after four days i am feeling a little more relaxed as hes fine in himself and really alert. Also as he's not eating 5oz every four or five hours his colic seems to have calmed down and we've had a couple of extra hours sleep:) x

Oh the poor thing :( the reason we were kept for so long in nicu was he wouldn't take bottles. Even 9 months now & he will only take 2oz a feed. We are exploring every option on Zantac for reflux, SLT because his face muscles are tight & think it's alot of effort to drink. Keep an eye out for reduced wet Nappies abd sunken fontella, hate saying this but every 2 weeks we go through a reeeeally bad drinking phase so hang on in there

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->