• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Preparing formula with Breast Milk???

ashlind1048

Reaction score
I am now adding 1 scoop of formula to my babies bottle with 4oz breast milk. Before he was taking in 5oz of just breast milk, but I am supplementing now due to not being satisfied. How do I prepare it?. Today I warmed the 4oz and then added 1 scoop of breast milk and stirred it. Is this correct?

I would have thought you would need to make the formula up as directed before adding the breast milk

Yes, the formula needs to be mixed with water as per the instructions. Obviously it is great to give as much breastmilk as you can to your baby too - but what you need to do is feed the breastmilk first and then give a supplement of formula which has been made up with hot water.
Two reasons for this
1) The formula needs hot water to kill off any potential germs. Unlike breastmilk, formula is not sterile (unless you are using cartons which have already been heat treated)

2) Making up formula using milk instead of water will result in a drink that is too rich for your baby and lacking in water - could result in overfeeding and constipation.

I would use two separate bottles if I was doing this. Give the breastmilk bottle first because if you mix them together and it isn't finished, some of your breastmilk is wasted which is a shame if you have gone to the trouble to pump it and it doesn't get eaten.

I found the best way to make a 6/7oz 50:50 bottle was as follows.
You still need to add as much water as required for the scoops of formula used.

--Chill breastmilk in the fridge
--Boil kettle
--Add 3oz water
--Add 3 scoops of powder
--Add breast milk (3-4oz depending on how much is available)
--Pop lid on and shake.
--Check temp, it should be just right or a little hot. If too hot run under cold tap until right temp.
--Serve immediately.

If your going to the trouble of expressing it may be an idea to give all the EBM in one bottle first and then FF in another bottle for desert, that way you don't waste any EBM. I only mixed in the same bottle when I was certain baby would take the whole feed.

And as for baby not being satisfied, adding a scoop of formula to EBM won't make them more satisfied. If they aren't satisfied they need more milk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->