Private scan 6 weeks, would you?

dragonfly26

Reaction score
There is a place near my house that does private scans, non medical, they offer a baby's first heartbeat scan starting at 6 weeks. My question is would you do it? I schedule for Sunday when I'll be 6 weeks 1 day. Now I'm wondering is that too soon, is it going to just freak me out of they can't find a heartbeat. Surely they must find them hat early frequently if they offer it that early. My 1st doctors appointment isn't until I'm 10 weeks, so would love to go for reassurance and such (I've had a few chemical pregnancies on this ttc journey). Just was looking for some opinions. Thanks and sorry for the rambling.

I wouldn't go at 6 weeks as it's likely that you won't see much.

I'd wait until at least 7 weeks. That's what I did :flower:

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm leaning towards rescheduling for later. Did you have your scan done privately or at the doctor? Also was it abdominal? Because I assume (and wouldn't be comfortable with it if it wasn't especially not in a private setting) that all they would offer is abdominal and would think that would make even more difficult to see it. Thanks again for your input :)

Personally I wouldn't because there wouldn't be much to see. So to pay for for one I'd want to go later on.

Also, another thing to consider- how sure of your Ovulation date are you? Based on my cycle alone, I'm 8w, but based on my Ovulation, I'm actually 7w3d. When I had a scan at 5w4d, there was just a gestational sac.

I paid for a private scan and it was abdominal. I thought I was 7+3, but she put me back to 6+6 and found the baby easy enough, but took a while to find the heartbeat. So I definitely always wait until 7 weeks + to allow for them putting me back a few days. They did it with my DD as well :flower:

I went for one thinking I was 7 weeks and I was only 6 weeks and a couple of days. I did see a heart beat and it reassured me but I wish I'd have waited maybe 2 more weeks. The scan lasted about 2 mins and cost £50

I have booked one for this Sunday. .. I'll be 7 and a half weeks ! IF my dates are accurate :) xxx

I would wait. I usually book one for 7 weeks so I know I should see a heart beat.

I'd wait until 7 weeks.

I had one at 6+6 and we did see baby and heartbeat. 2 in fact lol.

I agree that I wouldn't go that early - I had an internal scan at 8 weeks and they wrongly measured a week smaller - you couldn't make out a lot even at that stage.

Thanks for all your replies, I cancelled the appointment and rescheduled for next weekend when I'll be 7 weeks :)
Wow loraloo, that must've been a huge shock, congratulations!

That's a good idea, hun. While a hb can usually be seen by 6 weeks, sometimes it isn't and sometimes you're not exactly as far along as you think. I went in at 5w6d and saw a blob with a heartbeat, but that's not everyone's experience. And at 7 weeks, the blob will be bigger. Good luck!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->