Problem getting baby to drink water

Discussion in 'Weaning & Nutrition' started by poppy, Apr 20, 2009.

1. poppy

poppy Mum of Three

Has anyone else had this problem and how did you resolve it?

I have been weaning Tristan for about a month now and I am trying to get him to drink water to hydrate him. I have tried the bottle, non-spillable baby cup, a baby cup with a top and an open topped cup to no avail! He keeps clamping his mouth shut and turning his head away. We end up with more water down his front than he swallows! :hissy:

We have also tried a couple of drops of apple juice in the water which has helped a bit but not much.

Any advice?

2. polo_princess

polo_princess ♥ Brookes Mummy ♥

Was going to suggest some baby "juice" to try and tempt him!!

Sorry hun dont know what else you could try :dohh:

3. babystar

babystar Guest

Elinor will not drink bog standard water. We put the tiniest teeniest amount of juice in it for a bit of taste. As in a few drops :D :hugs:

4. thelilbump

thelilbump ♥ mummy to a princess ♥

eugh we had this problem aswell! We breastfed too so i do wonder if it's related. My daughter has never taken to any form of bottle, sippy cup or cup. I had to keep putting a splash of apple juice or such like in her food to make sure she was getting a bit extra fluid that she may need as she was slightly constipated aswell. After about 4/5 weeks of perservering i finally got her drinking out of a cup. It's called a doidy cup and i think it's great. https://www.johnlewis.com/230409356/Product.aspx?source=14798 My daughter gets excited when she sees her cup now but it's still the only one she'll drink out of.

5. Tezzy

Tezzy Mum of 2 TTCAL

ffion will only drink water out of a cup like her brother

6. ryder

ryder Mum to Jasmine & Peyton

Jasmine wont drink water at all.. she is ff... She will drink juice so I dilute it with water.

7. Vickie

Vickie Hannah & Rhys <3

possibly try giving it to him out of own of your cups? Hannah drinks water but honestly she plays with the cup to and ends up with quite a lot on her :wacko:

8. teen mummy

teen mummy Amelias mummy

Amelia wont drink water at all but she will have one sip of juce and turn her head.

9. Mervs Mum

Mervs Mum Doula & Mum of 3!

I've given up - I just BF her for a drink now. I have just got today a doidy (I think) cup so we'll have another go with that and water.....let you know....:)

10. Angelica

Angelica Proud mummy :)

I add a few drops of gripe water.. health visitor said this is fine & at least this way I get her to have water & gripe water all in 1 go.
    She drinks water happily now as she is having 3 meals a day so is usually thirsty.

When she was younger though I sometimes had to use the medicine syringe to make her drink water- maybe try that??