Progesterone for bleeding/spotting it works!!

laila 44

Reaction score
Since a lot of us are spotting/ bleeding I thought I'd share. I've been spotting ever so lightly for the past week or so. Been to Dr twice they did a scan and baby seemed fine. No hematoma and couldn't figure out where the small spotting was from. I have excellent progesterone levels btw. However my Dr decided to put me on vaginal progesterone 2 tablets at night it's called promethium. I was sceptical thinking it was just something to shut me up. Well to my surprise it stopped the spotting completely after 48 hrs. OB said it helps strengthen lining and nurture embryo and absorbs bleeding by stopping mild uterine contractions ( which I didn't feel either btw). It's worth a try! I thought it only worked for those who had progesterone deficiencies but that's not true! It stopped bleeding immediately with zero side effects. Just thought I'd share xx

Great News!
I also haven't had an actual bleed since starting progesterone. My baby, which was behind in growth caught up and grew well.
Just yesterday I was told my hematoma is gone and I can get off progesterone.
I also did not have low levels, I was given progesterone to thicken up my uterine lining when conceiving right after a miscarriage. I was also told it keeps a big bleed away, which can lead to a small fetus detaching or contractions. I did have cramps here and there and magnesium helped a ton.

I think that's great. I was on Prometrium for 3 out of 4 of my pregnancies and definitely think it helped in one of those. The other 2 I miscarried even with it so obviously something was wrong with the embryo. When I got pregnant with daughter the first thing I did was call my OB and have him call me in a prescription for it.

Yay for the stoppage of bleeding!!

In my experience, a good 7DPO blood test does not necessarily mean you couldn't benefit from progesterone. Here's my quick story just for anyone who passes by:

I had low progesterone in my 7DPO test and was put on supplements every cycle starting at 3DPO. My blood levels at the 7DPO test went way up next cycle.

HOWEVER, I was actually still progesterone deficient.

Progesterone is what causes your lining to convert into a more baby-friendly lining. So at 7DPO I would ask for an ultrasound to check my lining and see if it converted. We kept changing/adding to my progesterone supplementation every month until it would convert.

After 3 years TTC and 7 months trying to get the progesterone right, once we got it to convert I was pregnant within two months. (unfortunately miscarried at 7 weeks, but not related). When I went back to TTC (this month) I got a BFP the very first month I tried with those same supplementations. (yay)

Obviously, if you're pregnant than you have pretty good progesterone levels or else you wouldn't have had a lining good enough to even GET pregnant! yay you! So it's a bit different I'm sure.

I only say this to demonstrate that a blood test is NOT fully conclusive that you couldn't benefit from progesterone because it doesn't measure the levels of progesterone where you need it to be.

I'm so glad it helped and stopped the spotting for some of you. I imagine that was very stressful!

Yay for the stoppage of bleeding!!

In my experience, a good 7DPO blood test does not necessarily mean you couldn't benefit from progesterone. Here's my quick story just for anyone who passes by:

I had low progesterone in my 7DPO test and was put on supplements every cycle starting at 3DPO. My blood levels at the 7DPO test went way up next cycle.

HOWEVER, I was actually still progesterone deficient.

Progesterone is what causes your lining to convert into a more baby-friendly lining. So at 7DPO I would ask for an ultrasound to check my lining and see if it converted. We kept changing/adding to my progesterone supplementation every month until it would convert.

After 3 years TTC and 7 months trying to get the progesterone right, once we got it to convert I was pregnant within two months. (unfortunately miscarried at 7 weeks, but not related). When I went back to TTC (this month) I got a BFP the very first month I tried with those same supplementations. (yay)

Obviously, if you're pregnant than you have pretty good progesterone levels or else you wouldn't have had a lining good enough to even GET pregnant! yay you! So it's a bit different I'm sure.

I only say this to demonstrate that a blood test is NOT fully conclusive that you couldn't benefit from progesterone because it doesn't measure the levels of progesterone where you need it to be.

I'm so glad it helped and stopped the spotting for some of you. I imagine that was very stressful!

Very interesting! Thank you for sharing and congrats on your bfp you must be thrilled!! Xx

Ok...so with my bleeding (random, couldn't find the cause last week) should I mention to my doctor about progesterone? Thanks ladies!

You totally can. I didn't mention it my Dr did. I spotted early on very little then it stopped and started again around 7 weeks like mucousy brown that's when Dr suggested progesterone even if I wasn't deficient in first place. He said it can only help a pregnancy and never harm it. Relaxes uterus and thickens lining so a pregnancy thrives. It won't prevent mc in fetus with chromosomal issues though only stops superficial bleeding... You can ask for sure xx

Totally agree with laila, I would ask.

It can't really hurt, and it might just help. I think most doctors are pretty aware that making us FEEL better is in everyone's best interest, so even the few that don't think it'll make much difference usually seem willing to give some if you push for it.

A good question if it helps is always... is there any reason for me NOT to take it?

Totally agree with laila, I would ask.

It can't really hurt, and it might just help. I think most doctors are pretty aware that making us FEEL better is in everyone's best interest, so even the few that don't think it'll make much difference usually seem willing to give some if you push for it.

A good question if it helps is always... is there any reason for me NOT to take it?

Exactly. I never took it for my other two and didn't quite believe in it TBH until my Dr explained that it can only but help it can't harm so why not? My spotting has completely stopped after 48 hrs ... So I'm a believer. If it can further nurture an embryo why not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->