proper bed, what age ?

Lauz_1601

Reaction score
what age did you put your little ones into a proper bed ? We've just decorated Ella's room and need to tranfer the cotbed into it, to do this we have to dismantle it. So whilst Im doing that I was wondering wether to make it into a bed instead of a cot. I asked the HV and she said to leave them in a cot for as long as you can get away with it, its safer, when they start climbing out its time for a bed.

I thought i would be a good idea, because when I put her down she just goes stright to sleep 99% of the time and doesnt move, and I thought it would be good to get her used to it while she's younger. but now I think the HV is right, easier for me if she is contaied in her cot lol.

what do you think ?

I kept Kayleigh in her cot for ages - I think she was almost 3 when she had a bed! :oops:

What about one of those things that you attach on the side of the bed? That way, she won't fall out by accident..

Maddie has been in a bed since we moved here ...

5mths i think ... she not fell out you just boost it so the can't ...

She loves it and she has more space
x

Not putting kacy in to a bed until 18 months 2 years

Dior is still in a cot now its a cotbed i took the sides of once but she hated it i think she feels safe in her cot lol

We put Coby in to a bed when he was 5 months ish coz his cot was tiny, but he looked so little in his bed that we invested in a cot bed, it was much bigger than the cot we had and he slept in it fine.

Next week we are making it in to a bed for him coz he army dives over the side bars lol, and we are finaly putting him in his own room.

xx

Snap same situation, we will be decorating Noahs new room this weekend, then he will go into his new junior bed, wanted to do it now before new bub arrives as that will be confusing enough for him already, and I want him to get used to the new bed and suroundings. We have got him a cot side to put on the bed to stop him rolling out in the night, but personally I would stich a child into a bed untill they were mobile enough to walk and climb in and out easily, so as not to hurt themselves, you know what little ones are like for hurling themselves off sofas and stuff.

Generally they say 18 months onwards but I guess its down to how mobile your child is (some are barly even walking at 18 months when others are walking confidently at under a year) and also how high up from the gound the bed is. If its a normal single divan it might be bit high, where as beds designed for kids with slatted bases are often pretty low.

Tis is what we got https://www.additionsdirect.co.uk/rf/add/navigation/product.do?linkId=1769293

Seren is used to sleeping in a bed and I would not have any concerns putting her in one now but she is happy in her cot and until she shows any sign otherwise I will probably leave her in it.

I have looked for the side things to put on a bed but they have all said for divan beds only :~

Jade was about 2 and then she went into a 'little tykes car bed' which she was unable to fall out of and which lasted til she was 6!

We changed Ewans cot bed in to a bed last month, he gets on with it really well and we generally have no probs putting him to bed, theres been a couple of 3 ams where i've had to take him back to bed, and remind him it was still sleep time! we have got pillows by the side of his bed so if he does fall out he has a soft landing! but he hasn't fallen out much or if he has he's just climbed back in. i also found that if i kept putting him back in to his bed wen he got out had adverse effects and he would becme very defiant, so i found letting him get in to bed and telling him to get back into bed worked better than picking him up etc.

I think its down to personal preference.

Seren is used to sleeping in a bed and I would not have any concerns putting her in one now but she is happy in her cot and until she shows any sign otherwise I will probably leave her in it.

I have looked for the side things to put on a bed but they have all said for divan beds only :~

Yeah that one Iposted the link to is the only one I have found that you can stick on any bed. Mothercare and Argos and everywhere else all sell a very similar one by Tomy and your right they are all for divan beds only.

now I dont know what to do! Maybe it would be worth a try, as its a cotbed I could eaily make it back into a cot if need be. I would definatly be using a bed guard with it, so she wouldnt be able to fall out of it. and Id put pillows on the floor just incase. Im crap at making desicions for myself!

Layla, Ella is also only just going into her own room, weve had problems whilst decorating it so its took ages!

Like you said you can always give it a go, just make sure she has a stair gate accross her door, so if she does wander out of bed in the night she doesnt do herself any harm.

Maddie is very happy in her bed but i think it is down to the parents personal preferances ... you gotta do what you think is best!

Try and see if it doesn't work out its not the end of the world ... just wait another few months then try again :)
xxx

for the first week we just took one side off the cot, so if it was a complete nightmare we would just screw the side back on.

My little boy has had his cotbed as a bed since he was just over a year old, but we have used one of the Tomy side things, & it has worked fine.

Maddie is very happy in her bed but i think it is down to the parents personal preferances ... you gotta do what you think is best!

Try and see if it doesn't work out its not the end of the world ... just wait another few months then try again :)
xxx

right I have decided thats what I am going to do, its worth a go isnt it, and I already have the stair gate just need a bed guard now xxx

chloe is still in her cotbed but thats just cos she shares a room with callum! shed have him up at 2 am playing :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->