Protecting Our Children - BBC2 - 9pm - 30th Jan

All i am going to say on the benefits situation is that people do abuse the system that is suppose to be there for people who really need it and its a great system for those who need it, i do not think people should be better off on benefits. I think the voluntary idea is a good one, not everyone on benefits is incapable of working and more needs to be done to stop the abuse and to encourage people to actively look for work or give back to society x

I think the volunteering issue is not as simple as all that. For people to be accepted as volunteers they still need to have a certain employability about them, just the same as they would to be given a regular job. In fact there are voluntary jobs that require CRB checks, and a lot of people who find themselves long term unemployed and unemployable are going to be in the category that would fail a CRB check.

I agree it is not straight forward, and their alot of complex issues surrounding employability..like with Shaun and Marva..but perhaps if a more holistic approach was taken, i.e. people to work with them to deal with their emotional issues as well. I think it requires a multi-pronged approach, and in some situations, volunteering helps people work out those issues...working, whether paid or unpaid, gives people a sense of self-worth, and therefore I think although it is not simple..it is still a very worthwhile project to look into.

exactly, its very easy to get caught up in 'it wouldnt work for everyone so why bother'

when actually, the current system doesnt work for ANYONE so something different needs to be put in place n tried.

You know one big problem with all this, and a huge contributory factor to the "benefits culture" ...its that everyone makes everything boil down to money. Thats why some people are stay on benefits. I know people who went to work, and then stopped because they worked out that they would have more money if they were on benefits. I mentioned this at my meeting a few months back, regarding a work club to get people back into work.

Work should be about personal ambitions, and aspirations, not just the final paycheck..and anyone will tell you, a doctor, lawyer etc, their first paychecks must have sucked, but improved as they got more experience. I remember my first job after university..I was providing legal advice on commercial and consumer law, and bus drivers were earning more than I was..it was quite disheartening given the amount of work (and money yes) put into my education..but I know that if I persevere..i will get my rewards..and THAT is the problem..people have no patience, they want the money without the hard work.

And sorry to say this..even those bankers..they earn alot, but they work their tails off getting there I bet. And thats what man on the street sometimes does not understand.

the powers that be dont make that any easier though.

i went into the council today and was actually TOLD OFF because Liam has chosen to do an apprenticeship! I was told 'its not MY fault your husband has taken a low wage paying job is it'

because the fact that in 2/3/4 years he will be on enough money to probably be PAYING the entire of another persons benefit amount in tax...

honestly its horrendous.

Yes I do agree that the system does not support training as much eg...if sometime in your mid-late twenties and beyond you wanted to go back to uni, the system is not very good at that..thats why those that get uni funding from bursaries etc are lucky..but the not so lucky are those whose training does not include financial help.

There is very little funding for training/support in general. Hence my redundancy.
Also once youve got a foundation degree or above there is no funding for any kind of training, even if you want to change job fields.
It really is all a bit of a mess.

talking about degrees and support:

I have been looking at the OU website and requested a call back regarding the social work degree and was told you now need to be supported/sponsered by your employer to do the course (?)

so have been advised to look at social science degrees (which if i do i think i would go for the philosophy and pyschological route) or a childhood and youth studies degree.

i also am not entitled to any help and will have to find the money to pay for it myself if i go ahead. x

You know one big problem with all this, and a huge contributory factor to the "benefits culture" ...its that everyone makes everything boil down to money. Thats why some people are stay on benefits. I know people who went to work, and then stopped because they worked out that they would have more money if they were on benefits. I mentioned this at my meeting a few months back, regarding a work club to get people back into work.

Work should be about personal ambitions, and aspirations, not just the final paycheck..and anyone will tell you, a doctor, lawyer etc, their first paychecks must have sucked, but improved as they got more experience. I remember my first job after university..I was providing legal advice on commercial and consumer law, and bus drivers were earning more than I was..it was quite disheartening given the amount of work (and money yes) put into my education..but I know that if I persevere..i will get my rewards..and THAT is the problem..people have no patience, they want the money without the hard work.

And sorry to say this..even those bankers..they earn alot, but they work their tails off getting there I bet. And thats what man on the street sometimes does not understand.

I certainly agree that there is an element of poor work ethic out there, for sure. Pride in ones work is a precious thing, and plenty don't have it.

I have nothing against people earning high wages and working their backsides off to get that - quite the opposite. My husband has worked his way up from the bottom and is now on a good salary. I was a volunteer for 2 and a half years helping people for no money because I wanted to do that, and enjoyed it. It led me to the job I do now. I never expected anyone to pay our bills or pay our way but us. We have been in the position of having very little money to being much more comfortable now. It has taken time, and we got there without help. The bankers, though, I think are a slightly different thing here, and that is why I mention them.

i think the issue with the bankers (and i am NOT saying i agree with it) is this;

bankers (in general) are used to receiving high wages n big bonus's, they studied in their field because they knew thats what they were getting into

If you say 'right all the banks that are in the poo, no more bonuses'

all those highly qualified people, who currently run the banking system will go 'well i'm off then' and go and work for a bank where they will be paid well.

In which case we end up with muppets who are the lowest qualified in their field doing a job that really needs to be done by a smartass. And the cycle continues.

Its the same with politicians, people say 'they should be on capped wages at 26k' and that sounds very reasonable, but actually, if you put all the politicians who have degrees and MA's in politics and economics etc, on capped wages, they would leave and our country would be run by the same sort of people but not the same calibre.

Its very, very difficult and i agree totally unfair

but unfortuantely i do not think it is as simple as 'capping wages'

p.s i am also doing social science ;) But... politics and economics LOL

and they said they will pay for my degree but not for me to do an MA in social care, with is the only way in without having an employer x

i finally watched this weeks. i was so hoping marva would do it and keep her baby :( so very sad. shaun was like a drug to her, he was very destructive.

I watched this weeks one.. :nope: just angers me. Maybe cos I can only see what I see when I look at my children but when will people just stop and see what they are doing!

Isn't tonight the last one? And the most harrowing apparently...

yeah..sexual abuse..i feel a sense of dread at the prospect of watching, but i will i think

oooooooooooooooohhhhhhhh is it the last one???? i thought it would of been a longer tv series!!!! pants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->