psych meds during pregnancy! plz help!

P

pineapplern

hello everyone! i am new to this forum and expecting my first this dec.

i was wondering if any other moms out there took psych meds (like anti-depressants or benzodiazpines) while pregnant.

my psychatrist has suggest that i maintain my regiment of xanax (NOT daily) as needed and my SSRI while pregnant because of my severe anxiety and depression (that has been exacerbated with my [unplanned] pregnancy)

i am aware there are risks associated specifically with xanax or other benzos and i would really appreciate hearing about any other mamas out there who who perhaps took xanax (or SSRIs) while pregnant and how it turned out for them...

i havent really been taking my meds since i found out i was pregnant because im scared, but i am suffering without them and my doctor suggests that the benefits outweigh the risks for me.

i would really appreciate to hear anyone's experience with this. thank you so much :hugs:

I don't really have any experience with this. But, Have you looked into alternative therapies at all, like acupuncture? I did acupuncture to help get pregnant. It honestly made my body be able to do things that no med ever could. The place I went to treated people with all varieties of problems. Everything from infertility, depression, to physical pains. I know alternative things like that definitely aren't everyone. Just wanted to give a suggestion. Hugs to you! Just do whatever you believe is best for you and your baby!

hello everyone! i am new to this forum and expecting my first this dec.

i was wondering if any other moms out there took psych meds (like anti-depressants or benzodiazpines) while pregnant.

my psychatrist has suggest that i maintain my regiment of xanax (NOT daily) as needed and my SSRI while pregnant because of my severe anxiety and depression (that has been exacerbated with my [unplanned] pregnancy)

i am aware there are risks associated specifically with xanax or other benzos and i would really appreciate hearing about any other mamas out there who who perhaps took xanax (or SSRIs) while pregnant and how it turned out for them...

i havent really been taking my meds since i found out i was pregnant because im scared, but i am suffering without them and my doctor suggests that the benefits outweigh the risks for me.

i would really appreciate to hear anyone's experience with this. thank you so much :hugs:

I'm on psych meds-- an SSRI and Xanax (PRN). I spoke with my psychiatrist and OB. They both recommended that I maintain my usual regiment. I had already planned on doing it anyhow, but they simply supported my decision. I know that I cannot function without them. I also know that I would be creating an incredible amount of stress on the baby as well as myself if I were to try to do without them. The healthier I am, the healthier the baby would be. I took my meds during my first pregnancy. My little baby girl was born perfect. No problems or issues. It's important to remember that these medications are prescribed for true medical reasons. Mental health disorders are not just "in a person's head". They are caused by the imbalance of chemicals in the brain. I'm sure a physician would never tell an insulin dependent diabetic to stop taking her meds because she's pregnant.

Having said all of that, of course, only you can make this decision for yourself. I suggest speaking with several medical experts about your options. I wish you the very best in your pregnancy. I hope you and your baby are happy and healthy! :flower:

Hi hun, I'm on lexapro, and have been since about 6 months before ttc. I've had anxiety and depressionfor as long as I can remember and every single doctor I've spoken to has agreed I should stay on the meds, as the benefits outweigh the risks. Being depressed and anxious during pregnancy can have long term consequences on your baby.. My Dr is supportive of me breastfeedingas well . Good luck xx

hey
i'm on diazepam and quetiapine.. i have panic disorder and depression, they don't want me to stop my medication as it may be more harmful for me BUT they have said i would need to stay in hospital longer to monitor the baby for withdrawal... i was on diazepam and zopiclone when i had my DD 11 months ago and i stayed in hospital 5 days after i had her, she didn't suffer any withdrawal thankfully! my aim this time is to try and get my dose as low as possible towards the end of my pregnancy... i don't know if this would be an option for you? if you could try and reduce as much as you feel comfortable with then restart once baby is here? x

thank you everyone for your replies! it really makes me feel a lot better to hear from moms who stayed on their medications and everything turned out okay. its been super overwhelming for me to consider 9 months without any of my usual medications...especially because my anxiety and panic seem to be ramped way up since getting pregnant. i think it might have to do with the hormones, or just the scariness of the whole unplanned pregnancy situation. don't get me wrong, im really happy to be pregnant, but im also a nervous wreck!

thanks again to everyone who replied :hugs:

EDIT: also if anyone else out there reading this would like to share their experience with psych meds or other meds during pregnancy please do so! i think this topic is something a lot of pregnant mamas don't always feel comfortable talking about but the truth is, psych meds are some of the most commonly prescribed medications on the market and i figure that there are alot of women who may be grappling with similar questions or concerns for what it means during their pregnancy. i think opening a dialogue about it could really help a lot of women & it's helped me! xxxx

Hi, im in the same boat as you!! I was on cymbalta for 6-7 months before i found out i was pregnant and they told me to lower the dose but to stay on it!! Its really reassuring to read about babies who turned out completely fine while mom was on antidepressants

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->