Pump output drastically dropped at work - advice needed

fortunecookie

Reaction score
DD is 10.5 months old. I went back to work when she was 6.5 months old. I work a combination of earlies and lates. She is looked after either by a childminder or my husband when I'm at work.

When I first went back I was pumping out 4-5oz at a time. DD is now on 4 feeds a day and maybe 1 in the night. She has never taken milk from a traditional bottle but eventually would take it from a Nuby valve cup. She feeds well when with my husband but is very hit and miss with the childminder, sometimes only taking an oz at best.

About a month and a half ago I wasn't able to pump as normal because I was out of the office and found it difficult to pump. Since then my pump output has dropped dramatically. My supply is ok I think as I recently went on 2 weeks holiday and had no issues. But I am now at the stage where I can barely pump 4oz over 3 sittings, and this is a real struggle to do whilst at work. I am now at the stage where I am not pumping enough to provide the next day.

I currently have a medela swing. I have tried changing the valve and got a smaller breast shield. I bought a manual pump but this didn't work for me. I don't want to spend loads of money on a new pump when I think I'm the issue.

Do I supplement with formula, though I would rather not as I had to combi feed DS when going back to work and he ended up preferring the formula and I really want to continue BF DD. I will still pump at work, but do I just top up with formula or cows milk or just send what I have? I can't tell if she is dropping a feed, I offer and she takes it from me and OH so I'm guessing she still needs it and I don't want her to go hungry.

Sorry for the ramble, I would appreciate any advice or experiences x

Even though my babies are 3.5 and 1.5 I've already forgotten how much they were feeding at what ages so sorry if I'm a bit hit and miss!

I am not a good pumper! I was back at work by 3mths but by about 10mths I think I had to express b/w 5-7 oz for DS2 for 3 days a week and it took me a about 7-10 sessions to pump that.. when I pumped at work I only got about 1-1.5oz so to get ahead I would pump every day at a time I was always home and had some quiet time (usually around 11:30pm and sometimes I would have to set an alarm), that helped me get ahead.

By 10mths or so he would take an expressed bottle from my mum or DH but not at daycare... seeing it tipped out sucked! :cry: By 11mths I stopped sending it to daycare and I found that he was fine. I sent him with cows milk (but that was just as hit and miss as the expressed milk). He just seemed to have a longer feed when we got home and probably an extra one the next day but even with that, he was down to a morning only feed by about 13months and totally self-weaned by about 15mths.

I'd say it's possible to drop to 3 feeds without much of an issue at that age... the one my boys dropped was after their arfternoon nap... just replaced with a snack (yoghurt was good) and they were fine.

FWIW I never used formula.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->