Pumping not working

Noo

Mum to 2 boys xx
Reaction score
Does anyone have any issues with pumping? I have a good supply when it comes to DS being at the breast. He glugs and glugs and milk dribbles out his mouth when he's finished but I can't seem to pump anything. If I take him off the breast when he's done and want to finish it off with the pump I get nada... If I pump a "new" breast then I'm lucky to get half an ounce to an ounce! I use a Medela electric pump. Any suggestions? I want to start stock piling some milk in the freezer as there will be the odd day I'm away from baby with school trips etc and need DH to be able to feed him those days.

I've heard some people just don't get one with pumps.

I have a manual and can get 5oz. My friend has the same and can barely get 0.5oz so she can't pump!

I'd maybe try a different pump (manual perhaps) to see if you can get anything that way.

Try hot shower, then pump. Massage then pump, massage pump in that sequence to try and stimulate ducts.

I pump off one breast whilst Sophie feeds off the other. I find I get the most milk this way.

I'll give that a go next time, Sarah!

It takes time for your body to learn to let down for the pump. If you keep doing it, preferably around the same time each day, you'll start to get more. How long are you pumping for?

It takes time for your body to learn to let down for the pump. If you keep doing it, preferably around the same time each day, you'll start to get more. How long are you pumping for?

About 20 minutes then it hurt!

I managed to get almost 3oz off last night after he'd messed around on and off one breast that much it'd gone engorged! I used hot flannels then pumped with them on so that helped!

Check your flange fit and make sure your nipple isn't rubbing against the side. And you can try using lanolin, olive oil, or coconut oil to lubricate the flanges. It can still hurt even with those things, but those should help. Some people will tell you not to pump longer than 20 min but IME that's not enough for me to feel empty, and many EPers pump for longer per session. It all depends on what your flow is like...but remember the goal is to empty.

I pump 3 times a day only (im an exclusive pumper). I pump each booby for about 12-15 minutes and I'm able to get 750ml's altogether. Ive been pumping since my boy was 3 and a half months so my body is so use to that Medela pumping sound. In fact, when I hear a sound similar to that I have a let down! So still wearing breast pads! Ha ha! Just keep practising, do 10 min sessions so your boobs can get use to it. And put on nipple cream during the day and night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->