Push present??

RandaPanda

Reaction score
Hey ladies,

What are your thoughts on "push presents"? Did your DH get you one for a previous birth, are you anticipating getting one for this birth? What kind of item did you get/plan on getting??

I'm of two minds about them (I have the same feelings about babymoons!) - one one hand, they seem a bit silly to me. I'm getting a baby, for goodness sake, and I can't think of a better gift than that! But, on the other hand, the pregnancy has been a loooong, not always easy road, and I DO LOVE GIFTS :) Also, I kind of feel like we should be saving our money for baby-related things, not me-related things :)

How about you?! :flower:

My hubby thought it was a little silly but he got me a cute keepsake for my first baby, and got me a Keurig machine this time! Been wanting one forever and it will be well used with a newborn In the house :)

I'll be happy with a few flowers, yes I got a baby, but he got one too and I'd like just a token show of appreciation for carrying and birthing a child for us :haha:

I hate the term, it sounds so crass. My husband works with metal and he made a ring to commemorate the birth of our first child. It was sweet and it is a reminder of how thankful he is to have our little family.

I hate the term to be honest.
After lo was born dh got an eternity ring made for me which I love but I would never refer to it as a push present.

Its not a new idea, eternity rings were usually given either on the first wedding anniversary or birth of first child. I don't like women acting all bratty and entitled, asking for a designer bag or extravagent gift but I do think its sweet when men surprise their partner with something thoughtful. Most men are pretty blown away by what their women go through and its nice for them to show their appreciation.

I didn't technically "push" my babies out as I had two emergency sections but my DH still surprised me with flowers and a voucher for a massage after both of my boys. After long labours, painful c section recoveries and the demands of having a newborn I absolutely LOVED and appreciated being able to pop out for an hour or two and be totally pampered and relaxed.

I also hate the term 'push present' as for me I envisage a bratty woman demanding one from her husband when I hear that.
I really think it is totally up to the partner if they want to get a little something to give their lady as a keepsake to celebrate their bubs birth.
Recently this was brought up on another online forum and my goodness was it a heated debate! I don't think receiving a present tarnishes a baby's birth!
I for one couldn't care less if my DH buys me anything as obviously yes my gift is our baby. But if he wants to do so he can, I won't throw it back at him that's for sure :)

I've heard of these gifts a very long time ago. Some men give their wife or girlfriend a piece of jewelry it something like that. I've never personally gotten one, but they're a sweet gesture...after 9 months of carrying a baby...yeah, you both get a baby, but the baby didn't grow in a cabbage patch! Lol even though we sometimes wish they did.

I've never heard of this until now lol. We don't have anything like this planned since we're getting a baby :) But I do want to get some type of pendant or charm necklace with LO's birth stone for myself so I think DH will take me out to get one for an outing after she's born.

Im all for hubby showering me in gifts but i do not want or like the term push present.

I'm not keen on the expression. OH didn't get me anything after DD. Doubt it crossed his mind to be honest. The labour was far from perfect or ideal and DD was a horrid baby so neither of us were really in a good state of mind and him getting me something was far off the agenda.

I'd like to think OH would be so thoughtful as to get me something to show he acknowledged what i've gone through but i'm not telling him he should. If he does it off his own back then just indicate to me how much more thoughtful he is. Given i'm not anticipating it though I shan't hold it against him. To be honest with it being near to christmas it's not like there won't be presents anyway

I don't like the term push present at all. I never even heard of it until I joined BnB. My husband bought me a mummy bear from the hospital shop but it wasn't a 'push present', just a lovely surprise gesture. I certainly never expected anything :thumbup:

Yes, just to clarify (since so many are mentioning it), I'm totally with you on the term "push present"...I don't find it offensive per se, but just ridiculous. I only used the term in my title for simplicity's sake :blush:

I actually don't care if my OH gets me anything, but it is a nice gesture to commemorate the birth of our LO. Honestly, I might just get myself something small (beyond the tiny person :))to remind me of the special day over the years, or we can pick out something together with his birthstone, initials, or whatever. Etsy often has cute things that don't break the bank! I don't think we're doing much in the way of Christmas gifts this year either since our hands will be full!

It sounds like many of you have some very sweet OHs to think to do something nice for you (I love the idea of a new coffee machine!) Though I know my DH appreciates and acknowledges my role in starting our family, I think he is so overwhelmed, it won't cross his mind :haha:

I had an "aha!" moment after my previous post and while trying to get back to sleep! I have a lovely bracelet that my mom gave me for being her MOH when she married my stepdad last summer. Friends of ours are jewellers, and they custom made it to have a diamond, my birthstone, and DH's birthstone every few links along the chain. But it's a bit tight on my wrist, so I never really try to wear it even though it's pretty. I'll add our LO's birthstone to it too - that'll make it longer AND symbolize that we're adding to our family :)

First time hearing the term push present. In my culture, men do give their wives gifts when they have a baby as a token of the hard work it takes. The commonest gift I've heard of is a car. DH has been asking me to go try out this new Lexus (I'm a Lexus fan) and see if I like it but every time I ask him if he wants to change my car, he just pretends as if he doesn't understand what I'm asking.

We didn't have this when I had my older two. But I love it! I don't think its bratty or self entitled unless you start 'asking' for specific things. For me even a card or candy or perfect. Especially with how much we go through and how much further we have to go through for recovery.

It is what it is. No matter what term you use. Push, pregnancy, just because...

My DD came up with an incredible idea for photos so I may do that!! Even if I know about it!

I think "push presents" are wrong tbh. Iv seen threads on here before of women who want a present or were pissed because they didnt get a present. To me the baby is the present. We get to see what we have accomplished over the last so many months and to me that is the only gift i will ever need. I dont need a present just because im the one who birthed the baby. :shrug:

however if a partner decides off their own back to give their oh a present then i think thats pretty sweet.

I actually don't care if my OH gets me anything, but it is a nice gesture to commemorate the birth of our LO. Honestly, I might just get myself something small (beyond the tiny person :))to remind me of the special day over the years, or we can pick out something together with his birthstone, initials, or whatever. Etsy often has cute things that don't break the bank! I don't think we're doing much in the way of Christmas gifts this year either since our hands will be full!

I got it two weeks early on Mother's Day, but hubby bought me a charm necklace that had my birthstone and her birthstone on it, along with a charm that had the year. Brighton is where he bought mine since they had a local store in the mall, but a lot of places sell that kind of thing. I like how I can add more charms if our family expands again. Vintage Pearl is one of my favorite places for handmade keepsakes. :flower:

My present was getting to have the beer I had craved my whole pregnancy while hubby took care of DD for a bit. It was very rewarding to kick back in bed and savor that cold deliciousness. :haha:

I also dislike like the term pushing presents, but DH did get me gifts to mark the birth of both our sons. After DS1 was born he got me a pandora bracelet with a baby bootie charm on it, after DS2 he got me a necklace which had the handprints of our sons imprinted on hearts with their names engraved and birthdays on the back, it's beautiful. I don't really see them as presents thanking me for what I did but more just a memento for a special moment in our lives to keep forever when they're no longer babies! I love my wearing my necklace at work when I can't be with them as silly as that sounds! Oh and he got me flowers both times but I would think that standard? Not that I expected it lol but I can see why DH thought it was a deserving occasion for flowers, especially as I was rolling on the floor with after pains every time after breastfeeding haha.

My Dad got my mum a gold locket when I was born, long before the term pushing present came about so I think the idea does predate the term, I'm surprised Clinton's haven't got on it tbh lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->