Push present??

My oh just got me some flowers and a card after the birth of katie, the card made me cry because he'd written such a lovely message inside and the flowers were so special because it's not something he would normally do. This time around im not expecting anything as money is extremely tight but just giving birth is more than enough for me xxx

My DH got me a nice changing bag and a charm for my Links bracelet when DD was born but he didn't call it a 'push present'. It was a "well done for carrying our daughter for 9 months" pressie.

For this one, I have no idea. I didn't ask for anything last time and usually I only get pressies at Christmas and Birthday, even when dating, he never bought me anything.

So this time, I have no idea if I'll get a 'push present' or not. I'd like my E ring reset one day in to an Eternity ring (2 extra stones, one for each child) but he's already told me this won't happen until our 25th anniversary..18 years and counting!

I think the idea is sweet, but it's not something I would expect. I like the idea of it being something commemorative (like birthstone jewelry) or useful with a new baby (the Keurig or the spa day). In my mind, it's not so much "congratulations on pushing a baby out!" as "Hey, you had a baby, here's a keepsake to commemorate it!" ;) I pick up souvenirs for other big events in my life, so it's not a stretch to have something for our first baby. Since T is coming just a couple months before Mother's Day, I think I'd be just as happy with a birthstone necklace type of gift for Mother's Day as I would at the birth.

My husband said men should get a present too for pushing them out of their balls bahaha.

I agree with the sentiment, though. If mom gets a gift from dad, dad should get a gift from mom. You did it together, especially if you had your partner there supporting you through labor.

I don't really see the point in them. When I had my first OH brought me flowers for when I got home from hospital and that was nice.

Not keen on the expression at all and bear no expectations of any gift for birthing our child. The baby's my gift, and all I want. :)

That being said, my husband is the type to give a thoughtful little gift of appreciation, love or support 'just because.' He got me a very simple necklace when I had our daughter, commemorating her birth. It was a beautiful token of love and symbol of the growth of our family. I didn't expect it at all, but it was very sweet.

But I bear no expectations for things, nor do I quite grasp the concept of such. No offense intended to any who are 'for' the push gift. I just don't understand it personally. :) lol

I haven't heard the term push present before don't think the surprise gift my DH gave me would be considered as such as it was more about him showing his love and appreciation i suppose for the last 9months of growing and carrying our child.

I have a traditional charm bracelet which i was given on my 21st birthday and add to when something important happens in my life.
After the birth of our daughter my husband surprised me by giving me a new charm of a little stork carrying a baby, so delicate and beautiful! I never asked for or expected a present so it was a lovely surprise to get when i was feeling rather shattered and overwhelmed! Needless to say i was very moved by my surprise!!
xx

I've heard of them on another forum but as it was a long time ago and it wasn't a pregnancy forum i didn't really realize what they were.

I have no such expectation from my dh. i wouldn't say no to one but i don't expect it. he filled our room with flowers the day dd and I came home and it was so special in the midst of newborn stress. it wasn't a push present, he just wanted to make the return home seem special/memorable.

Ive never heard of this!
BUT
For me bringing home my rainbow baby is the best gift.
saying that though if dh decides to get me flowers or something itll be a nice suprise...but I wouldnt go out of my way and ask for something especially as money will be tight.
X

I've never really heard of the term 'push present' but last time hubby bought me a pink lining yummy mummy bag and massive bouquet of beautiful flowers. He's not normally one for expensive gifts but he was a bit over emotional after dd was born! I'm hoping for a repeat performance!!

push present sounds so funny to me, like I'm some kind of horse and you have to bribe me with a carrot to get the baby out.
It'll come out no matter what bling bling you dangle in front of me LOL!
Of course I like presents from DH that come from the heart, and I truly feel like this baby is the best present ever.
He still insists on getting me something, it is my birthday coming up, so he can always say he got it for my birthday. Again, this baby is the perfect birthday present as well!

I think our money can go somewhere else right now, but I won't fight over it. I expect I'll get some nice earrings or a bracelet. I would love a nice bangle.

Haha, Nina, the horse thing made me laugh!

I gather that some ladies are a bit demanding and use the term "push present" to imply that their DH should get them something major, and that if they don't, it's somehow unacceptable. I would never even consider wanting some extravagant gift or expecting my husband to get me one, so even though I used the term in my title, I meant something sweet, simple, and from the heart. For me, the baby is my gift, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at a little surprise from my OH :)

My hubby bought me a ring with three diamonds which he said represented the three of us. It is beautiful and we jokingly called it a push present (because we find the term so ridiculous!) but really, it was a way to mark how special her arrival was for us and I will give it to her one day (maybe when she has her first child.)

It wasn't expected - it was a wonderful surprise! (We
Came home from hospital on 1st December and it was in the
First drawer of my advent calendar (we've made each other's advent calendars for every year except the first)

One of my friends has a bouquet delivered every month of the date of the birth of their second child and he
Did
This
Every month for their first child's first year which I thinking a nice way of showing appreciation of what she does as a mum.x

Aw, putting the ring in the advent calendar sounds so sweet! And I love that it's something you will pass down to your daughter.

I don't like the term but OH bought Me my pandora bracelet with a little boy charm on when I had DS and bought me a little girl one for my Dd not long after, I thought it was so thoughtful I add a charm for each life event, hoping he will get me another after the birth of this little one too

I've never heard of the term and the idea seems silly if it's expected. It's nice if it's done without asking or expecting it. After being in labor for 2.5 days I did jokingly tell my husband I needed 1 karat diamond for every hour I was in labor. I couldn't even imagine a diamond that big!

Dislike the term but have no issue with people getting their partner a gift for whatever reason, and expressing their gratitude at your partner carrying and giving birth to your child seems like a fair enough reason to get a present. I did ask my DH for an 'it's a girl'/'it's a boy' balloon after we had our 2nd because for some reason it was important to me to have one (hormones :haha:) and I was very greatful that he did, I keep it with DD's sentimental bits and still appreciate it. Not quite on the level of cars of diamonds but still a push present I guess?

I believe traditionally that a woman receives an eternity ring from her partner after the birth of their first child if they are married. I have dropped hints about this to my partner (including which one I would like I have to say) but can't say it would feel the end of the world if I don't get anything. I'd rather be surprised by the fact he's going to take time away from work after all and help out with baby but I think I have more chance of giving birth to a martian then that happening.

I didn't know about a "push present", until my mother told my DH about it. She was just trying to make sure he didn't forget to do something thoughtful for me during the upcoming excitement.

I'm not opposed to the idea of a formalized "push present" (though not a huge fan of the terminology). Some guys just wouldn't think to do something so thoughtful without a little nudge. There are so many other things going on!

As soon as he told me about their conversation and hinted at something shiny- I brought the hammer down! "I don't want jewelry! I want a roomba robot vacuum!" Lol! I know you aren't supposed to ever give your lady cleaning supplies as a gift... But, we have 2 dogs and 2 cats, with hardwood floors and throws throughout. Wearing something shiny vs clean floors with new baby?? I'll take the floors -TY!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->