• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Python kills two boys while they are sleeping....

mumoffive

Reaction score
in Canada....a terrible story. Poor little boys 5 and 7 years. I must admit i did think how strange. Is that possible? What do you think?

Its so so sad. But wouldn't the snake have eaten one or both of them? Is that not why they strangle?

After reading a few accounts from snake owners, I refuse to believe this until a proper forensic study has undertaken. I mean, a snake punching through a ceiling? And why strangle both?

I read it this morning and felt so sick :( and didnt think anything strange about it (apart from the fact it is odd) but now you mention it, it does seem weird, surely one would've made a noise when having woke up being strangled?? I don't know, I truly hope it was just a horrific accident. Either way what a sad loss.

Well seemingly its most unsual for a snake to kill its prey and not eat it first before moving on to the next. I think its very strange. I saw pictures of the two boys. They looked so sweet and happy. Makes me want to cry just looking at them. Seeming snakes
do crush their prey in this way but they usually consume what they have killed not move on to the next. I guess we will have to see how it all pans out.

...and you would also wonder why a snake that is fed and watered would be interested in two boys sleeping in their bed.

I was thinking the exact same thing. They lived above the pet shop, and it came through the vent, am I right? How scary. RIP angels xx

I was thinking the exact same thing. They lived above the pet shop, and it came through the vent, am I right? How scary. RIP angels xx

Yeah but it apparently fell through the ceiling - we will see what the autopsy brings but the story sounds inconstant at first glance. 2 boys have died nonetheless, and that is enormously tragic :cry:

seems odd to me. theres already 2 versions of the story on bbc news.

one saying the snake was down stairs & escaped & another saying it was in a cage in the flat.

The two boys were having a sleep over at the apartment of the guy who owns the pet shop downstairs (he was a friend of the family). The snake was actually kept IN the apartment, in a custom-built cage that he somehow got out of.

Honestly, the story seems VERY suspicious to me. A lot of people have started questioning exactly what happened, including animal behaviorists who say that it is very abnormal behavior for the snake to kill them both and then not eat...

Tragic:nope:

Omg poor boys. I don't know much about snakes but I always thought they eat their pray.x

One of the most horrific stories ive read in ages :( I think the pet shop owner should be charged as he obviously didn't do the cage up properly or it wasn't in a suitable cage.

It's very strange. Poor boys :nope:

What a horrible sorry, what a tragic way to lose your children :nope: I hope they get to the bottom of this as it does sound fishy.

Definitely a strange story but still, poor little boys :nope:

As an owner of a snake (not python just a corn snake) the only possible explanation i can see as the snake didn't eat is that it was a tragic accident. Our corn snake is only 3.5ft long but when we hold him to move up our arms he will wrap his body around our wrists and it can become quite tight.
this python was 14ft long it could well of just wrapped itself round the boys as it moved along, cold snakes will also curl up on/around warm places as to restore their energy.
either this or there is something fishy about the story, snakes will not waste there energy on constricting unless they are going to eat it, if a snake feels threatened it will bite or just slither away

Reptile behaviour experts are pretty much all agreeing that this is absolutely bizarre behaviour for a snake of any kind, let alone an African Rock Python.
I don't want to get all macabre with speculating how this may have happened, but I am asking the same questions. One kid being predated by a big constrictor? Easily and it has happened. Two kids? Even two kids sleeping? I am having a lot of trouble getting my head around this one. :nope: I have a few thoughts about how, but they just do not add up to any sort of snake behaviour - this is hugely aberrant.
The only thing I hope comes out of this is a much tighter regulation of the exotic pet trade and heightened awareness on the part of the public about choosing appropriate pets - ie, reptiles need a lot of research and training to care for properly. They should not be so easily accessible to just anybody.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->