Question about BF and returning to work

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by Donna35, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Donna35

Donna35 Guest

I'll be returning to work at the end of April and was planning on hopefully continuing to breastfeed JJ for 3 months after that (until he's a year old)

However I was in work yesterday on a visit and one of my colleagues asked would I still be BF and I said yes to which she said I should get him onto formula before I go back to work as it's easier and besides breast milk is only good for first 6 months

Is this true?

2. TigerLady

TigerLady CaveTiger Clan Mama

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!!!! :hissy: :hissy:

Sorry... just don't like it when people give out misinformation like that. If you want to start him on formula, that is fine and totally a choice you can make. However, don't do it because you were given bad info. :nope:

Breastmilk is best as a primary source of nourishment for at least 9-12 months. It is entirely possible (and even common) to only breastfeed a baby until they are fully weaned at over a year and never use formula (which is my goal). By 9-12 months, LOs should have started weaning (in general) as they need some more iron by then.

Iron STARTS to deplete at about 6 months of age. Babies born healthy and full term have enough iron reserves to carry them through to at least 9-12 months. Breastmilk has small amounts of iron (compared to formula) but that iron is absorbed very very well (whereas it is harder to absorb from formula).

I have been back to work full time since my LO was 13 weeks old. I have been continuing to BFed -- LO still has not had a drop of formula. I intend to BFed him for at least year until he is fully weaned.

Keep going with the BFing if you want! :mrgreen:

3. Donna35

Donna35 Guest

Thanks hun - definitely going to continue. I thought that what she said sounded a bit off but wanted to check xxx

4. Caroline

Caroline Proud Mum of 4

Don't let her put you off.

I bf all mine up until they decided to give up.

I went back to work when they were 3 months old.

I would feed/ express in morning b4 I left, left EBM for them whilst I was @ work, then express @ lunch then feed when I got home.