Question about BF and returning to work

D

Donna35

I'll be returning to work at the end of April and was planning on hopefully continuing to breastfeed JJ for 3 months after that (until he's a year old)

However I was in work yesterday on a visit and one of my colleagues asked would I still be BF and I said yes to which she said I should get him onto formula before I go back to work as it's easier and besides breast milk is only good for first 6 months

Is this true?

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!!!! :hissy: :hissy:

Sorry... just don't like it when people give out misinformation like that. If you want to start him on formula, that is fine and totally a choice you can make. However, don't do it because you were given bad info. :nope:

Breastmilk is best as a primary source of nourishment for at least 9-12 months. It is entirely possible (and even common) to only breastfeed a baby until they are fully weaned at over a year and never use formula (which is my goal). By 9-12 months, LOs should have started weaning (in general) as they need some more iron by then.

Iron STARTS to deplete at about 6 months of age. Babies born healthy and full term have enough iron reserves to carry them through to at least 9-12 months. Breastmilk has small amounts of iron (compared to formula) but that iron is absorbed very very well (whereas it is harder to absorb from formula).

I have been back to work full time since my LO was 13 weeks old. I have been continuing to BFed -- LO still has not had a drop of formula. I intend to BFed him for at least year until he is fully weaned.

Keep going with the BFing if you want! :mrgreen:

Thanks hun - definitely going to continue. I thought that what she said sounded a bit off but wanted to check xxx

Don't let her put you off.

I bf all mine up until they decided to give up.

I went back to work when they were 3 months old.

I would feed/ express in morning b4 I left, left EBM for them whilst I was @ work, then express @ lunch then feed when I got home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->