question about c-section...

kristinaxo

Reaction score
just wondering if in the uk (scotland) as soon as they have basically pulled him out can you hold your baby straight away while they stitch you back up? those first moments and getting to hold my baby mean alot to me and i'd be very upset if they don't let me :( would also distract me since i have a fear of needles,stitches etc...thanks to anyone that can help me :).x

just wondering if in the uk (scotland) as soon as they have basically pulled him out can you hold your baby straight away while they stitch you back up? those first moments and getting to hold my baby mean alot to me and i'd be very upset if they don't let me :( would also distract me since i have a fear of needles,stitches etc...thanks to anyone that can help me :).x

With my c-section I wasn't able to actually hold her straight away which I hated. My OH was cuddling her up right next to me though so she could smell me and i could touch her and talk to her :)
Apparently the stitching up part takes about 30mins...It only seemed like 2 mins because I was so besotted with her and before I knew it i was in the recovery room breastfeeding and holding her myself.

Try not to get too wound up about holding her immediately...all through my pregnancy I was taking hypnobirthing lessons and studying attachment parenting. I was set on a fully natural birth with no intervention and understood how important that initial contact was so i was extremely upset when I discovered I had to have a c-section due to her positioning. BUT...it all worked out just find...we have an amazing bond. Try not to worry! xx

hi i never got to hold my last son bc he was born at 37 weeks . and they had to check him out . but they did bring him over as soon as he was born for me to see him . im hoping bc this is a planned one tey give me my son to hold :flower:

I didn't hold straight away either, the took her over to a table and cleared her lungs, cut the cord down etc. and wrapped her up, then they bought her over for a cuddle by my head.

From what I remember the sheet was right up by my chest so there wasn't anywhere for her to lie on me so they just hold them by your head, also I guess the have to cut the rest of the cord off or it'll be lying everywhere? :haha:

There's heaps of time for skin on skin and a first feed in recovery straight afterwards tho so don't worry :flower:

yeah I'm not sure I'd want to do that...I'd rather be stitched up first to make sure I'm A-OK

Where in Scotland are you? A lot depends on the doc doing your surgery. I'm going to be having a Natural Section in Ninewells and part of what I will be asking for (and will expect to get) is skin to skin while being stitched up. There are ways to do it, with my first they did try but the wires got in the way, this time I'll be looking to get the wires better placed so they don't get in the way.

I'm having to be quite insistent about getting the doc I want though.

I had an emcs, but the surgeon was really nice, he got my husband to see her and tell me what we had. (we were team yellow) it meant so much to me that my DH got to tell me. Then the surgeon lifted her over the screen and placed her on my face to give her a kiss. I couldn't touch her as my arms were pinned with needles. (think this was cos I was an emcs) They took her to check her but DH stood with her, and then she was handed to him and he sat by my head. I was haemorrhaging by this time, so don't really remember as it all got a bit scary. I was sad not to get cuddles but I remind myself DH had her. And about an hour later I got skin to skin and breastfed.
Don't worry too much about your bond, I'm def jennifers favourite person... ;) :rofl:

my mum was with me for both my sections with my first they held her up for me to see then took her to the table and dressed her as i was so out of it (18 hour labor) and then my mum held her right by me so i could kiss her and cuddle, as soo as i was ready to leave theater she was given to me and we went off to recovery.

My second was born at 36weeks so she was whisked off to the neo-nate doctor across the room from me but my mum went and took a picture she didnt cry and was really "floppy" but all outward signs were good, doctors were laughing because she was snoring, they wrapped her in a towel and handed her to mum again once out of theater i got hours of just me and baby skin to skin and trail breast feeding, it was so much better then the first.

I wasn't able to hold my baby straight away either. At the time I was really shaky from the drugs anyway so probably wouldn't have been safe! As soon as she came out she was shown to me above the screen, then checked over, wrapped in a blanket, shown to me again (I got to kiss her) and then given to my OH to cuddle. Then she was weighed and brought back. When my hubby felt queasy and had to leave the midwife lay her on me (there wasn't much room!) and held her there for me. I could see her little face and big eyes looking at me.

In recovery it was lovely and calm and I had skin to skin and kept her there until we went onto the ward. My mum could come in too and took some lovely photos. It was a lovely experience and I look at it as very positive. My baby made it into the world safe and sound :)

She cries when I leave the room now so I know she loves me and we've bonded very well.

I don't know whereabouts in Scotland you are, I had Sophie in Edinburgh, but because she was born at 27 weeks, she had to be whisked straight away. However, I can say that the staff were absolutely lovely and really calmed my huge huge fear of needles etc. I was absolutely petrified of the spinal but they were so lovely.

xx

I held my DS2 straight away put right on me and it all took my mind off what the drs were doing with me x

Joshua was taken over to a nicu nurse to check him over as he was premature, my mum then cut the cord, they wrapped him in a towel as he was cold, and placed straight onto my chest for cuddles. x

I was allowed to hold my son straight away but i didn't. My mum actually thought it was because lo was a boy and i'd been very adamant i didn't want a boy lol. In reality though it was because where i'd be given the spinal injection i didn't have full use of both of my arms and i was scared of dropping DS. I have to say though that seeing my OH have the first hold of our baby was so amazing that i'm so glad that i refused to hold him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->