Question about coffee

too_scared

Finn's mommy <3
Reaction score
I'm not pregnant yet but hopefully soon (3 dpo! :))

I'm pretty attached to my morning coffee. I only drink one a day.

So, what is better in pregnancy, one cup of coffee a day or one cup of decaf a day?

Thanks!

Coffee! I'm a morning drinker too, and all the research I've done leads me to the conclusion that one or two cups a day is well within the realm of safe when it comes to caffeine intake.

Also, decaf is blasphemy in my house :)

Good luck!!

I would think decaf would be the better option, but one cup of coffee a day is supposed to be fine during pregnancy.
Before I couldn't get up in the morning without a cup of coffee, then morning sickness kicked in and that killed my need for coffee.

Thanks ladies :)

I know they do some kind of process to the coffee to make it decaf but I don't really know what.

I think one cup a day is probably fine. I love it but maybe it'll become an aversion this time. What would I do then?! Haha!

I hated coffee in the first tri with Sophie. The smell made me so sick! I don't see any harm in having a couple of coffees a day though.

I did an experiment on my OH once and gave him decaf for a month. He had no idea and still felt that the coffee woke him up etc.

That is hilarious!

I don't drink coffee for the caffeine, I've never actually noticed any effect really. I just need that hot drink, it's a comfort. Haha!

I had normal coffee during pregnancy. I would have 1-4 cups a day.

I tried decaff but I can't stand the taste. Most people say you can't tell the difference but I can. My mam has tried to fool me but every time she tries, she fails as I can taste the difference.

I can taste the difference only because the decaf that I had seems much weaker. I much prefer regular coffee. :)

If you go with decaf, make sure it's water processed (sometimes called Swiss Water decaf). Otherwise, it's decaffeinated with chemicals that are not safe for pregnancy (they increase the risk of miscarriage).

Actually, in the US some companies are permitted to say their decaf is "water processed" but it still involves chemicals. You need a statement from the company that they use a "non-chemical" or chemical-free process. Nespresso/nescafe is a good brand and their decaf actually tastes good.

Thank you :)

Maybe I'll stick with regular coffee. I only have one cup a day anyway.

One cup isn't likely to really matter. Not being addicted to caffeine, however, can help you feel more awake in the long run.

I've already said I don't drink coffee to feel awake. I just enjoy a hot drink.

I think getting more than an hour of sleep at a time will also go a long way to making me feel less tired.

I was pretty addicted to my morning cup of coffee before I fell pg and like you I wondered if I should stop drinking it when I got a bfp.

Turns out decision was made for me, as soon as I fell pg I went right off it in the extreme. It just tasted foul, I couldn't even stand the smell let alone drink it!

I keep wondering if I will get an aversion to it. With my son I wanted coffee so badly, a craving, but when I made a cup it was so yucky. Bad to have an aversion and a craving for the same thing :wacko:

With the pregnancy I just lost it was garlic. So sad! Garlic is one of my most favorite things. My dh couldn't even eat it at work for lunch. I could smell it a mile away and my tummy just rolled. Ugh. Hopefully it's not garlic next time.

Hehe, my first pregnancy symptom each time was an aversion to coffee! Days before I even tested, I just couldn't drink it -- way before the morning sickness kicked in. I was super addicted to it, too! I still haven't taken it back up, though, because I figure this is the perfect opportunity to quit. Now I drink green tea every morning, though coffee still looks tempting...

Feronia - It probably doesn't matter anymore once you are in 2nd tri but some studies have shown green tea can block the absorbsion of folic acid so it isn't recommended in pregnancy. Sorry to be a bummer. I actually had a small cup today - figure every once and a while is fine.

Feronia - It probably doesn't matter anymore once you are in 2nd tri but some studies have shown green tea can block the absorbsion of folic acid so it isn't recommended in pregnancy. Sorry to be a bummer. I actually had a small cup today - figure every once and a while is fine.

Yeah, that's why I didn't drink green tea until about 14 weeks, and even now I limit it to one cup a day (2 if I REALLY need it).

I prefer cream in a hot drink so green tea isn't an option (since I like tea with cream). I don't drink herbal tea during pregnancy.

I might stick to my occasional coffee.

I didn't have any this morning. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"