Question about early scans in pregnancy after loss

Bexyboop

Mum to a beautiful boy
Reaction score
Hi there,

Just wondering if you were treated differently by your doctor/hospital in your first pregnancy after miscarriage. Did you get offered an early scan or were you just treated the same as the first time. Just wondering how it will be when I do get pregnant again. I know that I will be anxious to get checked out and wondering if I should start saving for private scans.

Thank you x

hi there, im so sorry for your loss :( I think they should offer you at least one early scan which would prob be around 7 or 8 weeks. As I have had 5 m/c's in a row I am offered them weekly but it does seem the more losses you have the more they take u seriously re scans / treatment etc.....
As miscarriage is unfortunately so common ur chances next time are very high of carrying ur baby to term
xxxxx

Depends on your Gp I think. I had 6 miscs before our daughter and due to hubby being in forces and living in different areas , care was varied. One did say misc was so common no point in doing early scan!!!
Know it is scarey but your chances are good nect time

Our local early pregnancy unit (walk-in but v.busy service in London) offers scans every 2 weeks from 6-12 weeks for women who've had three or more miscarriages in a row (like me), but in fact they were pretty nice to me after I'd had just one mc, so maybe it depends on who is on duty!

Private scans at 8 weeks are about £75 at another local NHS hospital.

Thank you,

I did think that it would just depend as I have only had one mc. I don't know how you ladies have coped with having several miscarriages!

Best wishes to you all xx

Hey hun, where im scotland are you from?? The EPU at ninewells in Dundee have been utterly amazing with me. I was offered 3 early scans plus a reassurance one if i wanted it....xx

I am sorry for your loss sweetheart :hugs:

I had an early scan last week due to bleeding, and have been asked to go in for another in two weeks time. I want to have one around the same time I had my MMC last time so I am going to flat out ask but if they say no we will probably go private.

:hugs:

My hospital (EPU) offers a scan at 8 weeks, you just call them when you get your BFP.

I had bleeding at 6 weeks so they gave me an earlier scan, let me keep my 8 week one, and checked me again at 10 weeks, then my 12 week scan was at a different hospital and I was no longer under thecare of the EPU.

I've had one m/c and am pregnant again. I asked my MW early on if I'd be offered an early scan. She said no as it was common to m/c and that the NHS didn't have the resource.

We went private and paid for one at 8 weeks. We shopped around and paid £50. All we wanted was to see a hb and we did.

Alex

I had 1 loss and was treated no differently. I was told that 1 miscarriage is so common they had no medical reason to give you one. Hopefully your area is nicer

Hi there,

Just wondering if you were treated differently by your doctor/hospital in your first pregnancy after miscarriage. Did you get offered an early scan or were you just treated the same as the first time. Just wondering how it will be when I do get pregnant again. I know that I will be anxious to get checked out and wondering if I should start saving for private scans.

Thank you x

i got treated the same and i miscarried an 2 months later conecieved now just had my first midwife appointment told her my concerns as im nearing the stage that i miscarried and fell over on ice an ive got to wait few weeks for letter an date no they dont take you more seriously infact i think a scan should be a least be given to help put peoples mind at ease as im going crazy thinking something has happened or it will happen again.
if they help u get a scan hun when u concieve keep at them to get one but my midwife was havign none of it :( x

I spoke to my MW about it and she gave me a referral for an early scan (for 'dating' though I knew perfectly well when I had ovulated and my lmp) to use at my discretion. I used it at 8 weeks.

I have had blood tests since 11dpo, and I get an u/s on Friday (I will be 8 weeks). But, this is not only through a private fertility clinic, but also, I have had three miscarraiges.

Hey hun, where im scotland are you from?? The EPU at ninewells in Dundee have been utterly amazing with me. I was offered 3 early scans plus a reassurance one if i wanted it....xx

im also from dundee

i was offered early scan with taylor, as jamie was classed as a "second trimester loss" i would have been given more but i lost it

ninewells staff were lovely, i did have a few snide comments first time round with Jamie but with second baby they were amazing :)

im sure most hopsitals in scotland operate on the same policy, but depends on where you are

im so so sorry for your loss hun :hugs:

I haven't been offered an early scan , but the GP has been really supportive and MW too, as soon as I put my name on the list for booking I was called back to make sure I had all the numbers for the EPU, and EPU were good a few weeks ago too... I guess knowledge makes the services easier to access if/when u get concerned
big :hugs:

I spoke to my MW about it and she gave me a referral for an early scan (for 'dating' though I knew perfectly well when I had ovulated and my lmp) to use at my discretion. I used it at 8 weeks.

My midwife also gave me a referral for an early scan which I had done at just over 8 weeks as I had had 2 previous miscarriages. I also had an emergency scan at 11 weeks after a big bleed and as everything was ok they went ahead and did the NT scan at the same time, so I ended up with a spare referral form which my midwife was happy for me to use at my discretion for a reassurance scan, which a did a couple of weeks later.

Where do you have your scans done bky? I'm just outside Chch and have so far gone to St George's. Gets expensive after a while at $50 a scan and I've had three so far this pregnancy. Got to book my 20 week scan but my midwife is on leave this week and had previously mentioned a place in ChCh that will do a 4D look-see when you have your 20 week scan for the same $50 but I forgot to ask for details at my last appointment :dohh:. Hoping to get in for the week of 25th Jan.

Beth- I think nearly everywhere in ChCh now charges $50 for scans. All the ChCh Radiology Group does at least. I spoke to someone several months ago that was griping about Cashmere radiology now charging as well. I also go to St. Georges as it's the most central without actually dealing with the middle of town.
Maybe your midwife is talking about this place? https://www.reflectultrasound.co.nz/

Hi bky, we live just outside Rangiora so St George's is fairly easy access for us, but having had two scans there with the "I'm sorry but there is no heartbeat" outcome, I get a little apprehensive every time I have to go in there now. Thanks for the link, it could be the place, hopefully my MW will call me back Monday and I can get my scan booked. Can't wait to see this little one again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->