question about EPO

lmp1505768

Reaction score
So, I've read pretty much everywhere that it doesn't start labor. Just ripens the cervix.

So I'm wondering why you aren't supposed to insert it vaginally before 36 weeks??

I'm 34 weeks and just started taking it orally, but I end up burping it up and it taste kind of disgusting,so I was looking into just using it vaginally. I figure if there is no harm done,why not. And it doesn't send you into labor right...so??

I can't seem to find anything on using it vaginally before 36 weeks.

Anyone have any idea?

Well, I think it's safer to wait till 36 weeks to insert it vaginally in case it ripens the cervix too quickly. Ya just wanna make sure the baby is healthy and strong enough to be born. Some people insert EPO and go into labor the next morning just because of how ready their cervix was before the EPO.

I always assumed it was because you shouldn't be "messing around" with your cervix until closer to your due date, in case you irritate it. (I guess I'm basing this assumption on the fact that doctors don't start checking your cervix for dilation until 36 weeks).

I had my cervix checked and I was barely 1cm and still had a long cervix. When I asked my doctor about starting it,he said I could, but that there wasn't much evidence of it doing any good :/ he didn't say NOT to take it vaginally though. Maybe I should just give him a call. . . But I guess I'm just conused on how if even though it ripens the cervix it DOESN'T cause labor, why having a ripe cervix early would be bad YKWIM?

I started it vaginaly two nights ago and had horrible contractions all night. Ended up phoning OB got the contractions to subside. Not sure if it was the epo but I want him in just a bit longer and my dr is out of town til Monday. Not sure if it was the epo but it was about a half hr after I inserted it that the contractions started.

I have stopped taking them vaginaly until he gets back....

I started it vaginaly two nights ago and had horrible contractions all night. Ended up phoning OB got the contractions to subside. Not sure if it was the epo but I want him in just a bit longer and my dr is out of town til Monday. Not sure if it was the epo but it was about a half hr after I inserted it that the contractions started.

I have stopped taking them vaginaly until he gets back....

this ^ is good to know, I've been taking 1200mg of it orally twice a day since last week, and was going to start vaginally mid week next week, but may not after reading this! my doc is also gone for 2 weeks to Canada and I really don't want another doc delivering me and I'm already having tons of pressure down there and belly is sitting on legs so assuming she is DROPPED, don't think i'll need anymore help than what i'm already doing! (i have to be induced 2 weeks early for bp and gest. diab)

Vagininally 1000mg at night before bed starting at 36weeks or closer to due date. If cervix ripens too fast labor will start earlier. There are other ways to ripen it too but this is fastest if u can't dtd . I haven't started it and do not plan to til 38wks just bc i don't want to have her to.early. Edds are estimated and id rather wait a little longer.

Thanks Jen435 I'm 35+5 but will be going in for induction at 37+1 so need to start it sooner rather than later. Xx

Vagininally 1000mg at night before bed starting at 36weeks or closer to due date. If cervix ripens too fast labor will start earlier. There are other ways to ripen it too but this is fastest if u can't dtd . I haven't started it and do not plan to til 38wks just bc i don't want to have her to.early. Edds are estimated and id rather wait a little longer.

That's exactly what my intention is from here out... It was a bit scarey.

Hopefully I will start taking EPO orally at approx 34 weeks and then Vaginally at 36-38 weeks. I already get a little worried, I don't want to force my body when its not ready. But, then I would prefer this method over medical induction.

The other thing I worry about is position. What if your baby is not in the correct position? Breech, back to back etc??? Would you encourage the baby into the correct position first? If so, how? Or would you start inserting EPO to encourage labour and then hope that the labour will help the baby into the correct position?

Hope my questions make sense (not too silly I hope, lol). I'm trying to collate as much info possible (something I didn't do previously).

Hmm. Also....Does too much cause more stress? If u try too hard, u feel more let down if things go wrong? But, it can be the same either way.

I think I'll stop there. Lol. I will await your replies ;)

As far as the EPO goes, I started it orally at 34 weeks and vaginally at 35 weeks. I upped it to 2 capsules vaginally at 37 weeks. I'm now 38+2 and my cervix is doing precisely NOTHING! So I don't know if it really does much at all if your body isn't ready :(

It wont do anything that your body isn't already ready to do. But when the time comes for things to start, it definitely wont hurt :)

I've been taking it orally for about 2 weeks (1000mg 3x a day) and vaginally (1000mg when I remember lol), and am only about a fingertip dilated, scheduled for induction Wednesday so I will be upping the vaginal dose to 2000mg a day, and try to remember to take it everyday lol

Check out this thread - https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/p...eaf-tea-rlt-evening-primrose-oil-epo-faq.html TONS of great info :)

Hopefully I will start taking EPO orally at approx 34 weeks and then Vaginally at 36-38 weeks. I already get a little worried, I don't want to force my body when its not ready. But, then I would prefer this method over medical induction.

The other thing I worry about is position. What if your baby is not in the correct position? Breech, back to back etc??? Would you encourage the baby into the correct position first? If so, how? Or would you start inserting EPO to encourage labour and then hope that the labour will help the baby into the correct position?

Hope my questions make sense (not too silly I hope, lol). I'm trying to collate as much info possible (something I didn't do previously).

Hmm. Also....Does too much cause more stress? If u try too hard, u feel more let down if things go wrong? But, it can be the same either way.

I think I'll stop there. Lol. I will await your replies ;)

I *think* baby is usually head down by then. My lil boy has been head down since about 30 weeks consistently. Hope that helps :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->