Question about Propecia

alon_lon

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm 34 years old man.
A long time ago (before about 10 or 11 years), I used Propecia for a short time (I used it for about 6 months).
I didn't have any sexual problems ( libido disorders, ejaculation disorders, etc. I didn't have any problem).
I'm now talking with my wife about conceiving (for the first time).
I read the researches of the last time about side effects of Propecia, and I'm afraid the short use about 10 years ago can have any affect now on the semen count, or its quality.
Is there any real reason to be afraid? can I have any problems due to this use 10 years ago?

Thanks

Hi,

10 years is a very long time, and since you used Propecia (finasteride 1mg), and not Proscar (finasteride 5mg), the fertility issue is not as much as an issue. But everyone responds differently to medication. Here's more information:

This is for Proscar (finasteride 5mg):
Treatment with PROSCAR for 24 weeks to evaluate semen parameters in healthy male volunteers revealed no clinically meaningful effects on sperm concentration, mobility, morphology, or pH. A 0.6 mL (22.1%) median decrease in ejaculate volume with a concomitant reduction in total sperm per ejaculate was observed. These parameters remained within the normal range and were reversible upon discontinuation of therapy with an average time to return to baseline of 84 weeks.

In a 52 week study:
- finasteride (5 mg / daily) decreased total sperm count (oligospermia), semen volume, and sperm motility.
- finasteride significantly decreased total sperm count (-34.3%) compared to baseline at 26 weeks but not at 52 weeks or at the 24-week follow-up.
- Semen volume was significantly decreased for finasteride (-14.5%)
- Sperm concentration was decreased by finasteride (-7.4%) but was not significant
- Significant reductions of 6—12% in sperm motility were observed during treatment and at follow-up.
- Sperm morphology was not affected

The overall effect on fertility of these changes in spermatogenesis by 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors is not known. However, during post marketing surveillance, male infertility and/or poor seminal quality following treatment discontinuation have been reported. It should be noted that normalization or improvement of seminal quality has also been reported after discontinuation of finasteride.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->