Question about tw and teeth

wifey29

Mummy to two boys :)
Reaction score
Hi,

I was chatting to my sil about weaning, our babies are a month apart (mine is the eldest). We are blw, they are tw. I really have no clue about tw as it was never really on my radar. I knew right from the word go that blw was for us and so far, one month in, it's going great. LO is eating all sorts and is totally loves his food.

Anyway, sil started weaning her LO at 3 months which baffled me a little as he was absolutely thriving. I asked her yesterday out of interest if he is having any finger foods yet as she mentioned that he is eating what they are. She said that his food is blended and that she has no intention of giving any finger foods until he has teeth, which seems like a way off as he hasn't shown any signs of teething yet at 6 months. Is this the norm with tw? I mean he could be without teeth at 11 months or so like his dad was.

Just curious about this really, like I said, I don't really know much about tw.

No, but I like to give a lot of finger foods, we started with finger foods at 6 months, infact he had homemade pizza last night for tea and loved it!

I started tw at 4 months and started offering finger foods before 6 months. He had no teeth yet, but was teething and loved to bite down on things like toast or a rusk.

No, that's not typical to wait. Even with TW you still start offering finger foods once lo can can manage to pick it up and feed themselves. It is however pretty common that the first finger foods are something like those baby puffs made from fruit or veggies or dry cereal like Cheerios, something like that. That's what I start with anyway but I don't worry about waiting for teeth, just that baby can pick it up and put it in her mouth on her own.

I read that its amazing what little gums can get through. My LO has 2 bottom teeth and gets through chewing pittas, toast etc. Takes her a little while but she just spits out what she doesnt want or has had enough of chewing. Its not often that happens though as shes quite competent at using her gums to chew things.

Also, idk why anyone would say you need to wait for a baby to have teeth to eat solid food, we chew with our molars and babies don't get those until they're a toddler. Even when babies get their first front teeth, they don't chew with them :shrug: Not to mention, ever let your lo chew/suck on your finger? Those little gums are tough!

Thank you all, that's what I thought, my LO has 5 teeth and doesn't use them during eating really. My nephew is constantly putting anything and everything in his mouth so I'm sure that he'd happily munch away on some finger food. They're coming over for lunch tomorrow and will get to see LO pack away a chicken stirfry, so hopefully seeing him in action might spur them on to give it a go at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->