Question for cat owners

NickyKB

Reaction score
Hi. I was just wondering if you were planning to get cat nets etc? This is my first and I think whilst LO is very young in moses basket in bedroom with us I won't need these as we don't let the cat in our bedroom anyway. But I don't know if I should get one for the cot when baby moves in there. When I've been looking at reviews online for them a lot of people seem to think they're more trouble than they're worth as the only ones I've seen tie onto the cot and you have to untie it in order to get in - I was expecting a zip in the top or something... Our cat is quite nosy and tends to want to know what's going on so don't know if I should get these anyway?

Have any of you made a decision on this or had previous experience?

Thanks!

i dont have a cat at the moment but it does sound like a good idea to get one even if they are a bit fiddly.:thumbup:

My cat is also very nosy! When we had ds I was quite worried because the cat always came in our room with ds in moses basket, but my cat never even attempted to get in with ds...although he did like it in there when it was empty! My cat seemed a little terrified of the new baby even though he's usually fine.

We aren't getting one for the cot as the cat is not allowed in the nursery anyway. He isn't allowed in our room either so during the night will be fine but I plan to take the Moses basket downstairs with me so we get one for when I'm downstairs. My cat is the same, very nosy and likes to get up VERY close to you to get comfy and warm :).
For the price of one for the Moses basket I thought it'd be worth it just for trying at least x x

I have never heard of a "cat net" before. I won't be getting one. My cat noses around a bit but once she figures out what the crib and such is she won't be bothered to go back at it. Some people believe that cat's "steal a baby's breath" or will lye down on the baby's face so I guess it's for people with those beliefs. :shrug: My cat couldn't be bothered with people, especially children so I know she won't be a bother. Don't know if this actually helps you at all but. :D

I'll definately be getting a cat net one for the cot and one for the pram. Cats are attracted to the milk smell from baby so that's why they are so keen to get near them and snuggle in for warmth. My cat's had a sniff at the cot and not shown much more interest yet, but i think that's only cos it's full of all the baby stuff that hasn't got a place to go yet!! :)

Will also get a cat net for moses basket as baby will sleep in our rooms (my husband and I have separate bedrooms, so cats sleep in my bed (but will watch to see curiousity level with baby in my bedroom), husband doesn't like/let cats into his room, so on his nights, baby will be in his room without cat worry....

my big cat loves people, but is very relaxed; the small cat loves me, but is nervous around others, so will watch both carefully. If necessary, will close my bedroom door if I feel cats are a little too welcoming!

best wishes

Its an old wives tale about cats being attracted to the smell of milk, I'm going to make sure all of LO's things are where they will be about a month before LO is born so the cats get used to having them around, they're quite shy cats anyway and tend to keep away from people so I'm not really worried... The nets do sound like a good idea though :)

:flow:

No, I don't think I'll be getting a cat net - more hassle than it's worth. My cats won't be allowed in the bedroom at night, but that's already the case because I'm allergic.

I've never heard of a cat net before. Interesting, but I think if my cat REALLY wanted into one, he'd figure out a way to undo any ties. He's crafty.

I'm not really worried about it though.

I didn't bother with a cat net. One of my cats always wanted to sleep at DD's feet when she was in her moses basket but other than that we had no trouble. :)

I don't like animals in bedrooms anyway... Specially my cat! He sleeps on the pillows and then you end up with fur all over them and it's not nice lol. Plus our cat likes to explore alot so he's usually out and about more than he is in at home. He'll be gone for 2 or 3 days at a time sometimes, comes home for a couple days to recover then he's gone again lol. He's like having a teenager in the house XD (although I suppose technically he's in that "teenage stage"... He's 2 1/2).

But I'm not going to bother with cat nets. Don't see the point :)

XxX

we are getting one for the moses basket but this is a very recent decision.

Squeak (my cat) is a very loving affectionate little things and loves nothing more than a cuddle and to sit on my tummy and get stroked which we were find about as she doesnt seem interested in anyone else but me so we assumed she would stay clear of LO

but......

the other day she jumped on my tummy for her usual cuddles and started nuzzling my chest and licking my top where my nipples were i told her off and put her on the floor she jumped right back on me and started nuzzling, head butting and pumling my chest again again she was told off but put in the kitchen this time.

when we went to bed i got undressed and noticed i had leaked a little colostrum and we realised it must have been the smell of that, that was sending her weird so as i now know how much she likes the smell we are getting one just to make sure she wont get to close to LO while he sleeps (even tho i know she would never hurt him she might get a little to close to his face for my liking)

I'm not getting one. Our cat is nosey but I don't think he'd bother baby. Hes not allowed in our room at night anyways and so I don't have to worry about that. Any other time baby will be right next to me so I'll be able to keep an eye on him/her.

I never bothered with a cat net when i brought DS1 home they cats hated him they wouldnt go anywhere near him at all they stayed out of his way and didnt go out of there way to be near him even now 4 years later they stay aweay from him unless he has food and is offering it to them we also have 1 cat who sleeps in our bedroom and she only sleeps on our bed and has never tried to get in with any of them xx

My kitty is very affectionate and she likes to sit on our chests when we are in bed. She also has this weird fixation with my bedside table. She likes to sit on it. So I am thinking that if I got an arms-reach co-sleeping cot she might quite like to get into that too and have a lil cuddle. I am not getting a net but I guess at night we will have to start locking her out of the bedroom. :(

We didn't get one with our DD, and the cat has not once gone into the cot or the moses basket. We keep her downstairs at night but during the day she loves sleeping on our bed or the spare bed. I've never found so much as a cat hair in DD's cot in the 20ish months since it was set up. Needless to say I won't bother getting one for baby 2!

when I had my son, my cats were definitely attracted to the smell of milk...but on me, not my son. It's like they could smell that I was leaking because they were all over me (and uncharacteristically so) when I leaked. Anyway, we aren't getting a cat net, but we are getting a new door for the back porch so we can put the cats downstairs (finished basement, they usually sleep down there anyway) during the night at least for the first few months. My cats are crazy so I wouldn't doubt they'd find a way into the baby's room and I don't want to have to keep all the doors closed at night like we do now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->