Question for one's with older one's??

~KACI~

Reaction score
At what age was your child able to use a knife and fork,

by that i mean when were they able to cut food properly with a knife and fork?

I have no idea when a child usually starts doing this??

Thanks x

my son, who was 3 last month still cant properly. Hes still getting the hang of spoons and forks, and rarely uses a knife, tho he will try occasionally. I think its early days yet, i think 5+.

Hiya none of my kids got the hang of using both together til 5 x

Like alot of stuff it depends on how quick they get the hang of it and how much they practice ...

..my mum was a dinner lady at a primary school (5 years plus) and she said that at her school most of the 5 year olds struggled but tried, Most 6 year olds could tho.

Im my house my 6 year old daughter can (unless its something really hard to cut like Bacon (kids knifes are soooo blunt lol) and sometimes she will send half the food flying across her plate :roll: she also stickes her elbows out still!

My 5 year old son is quite lazy and likes to pretend he cant but when hes in the mood hes actually as good as my 6 year old.

My 3 year old Daughter is hopeless, she tries but always has her knife upside down and wont believe me when i tell her its meant to be the other way around!

Thanks all i feel alot better, i just seriously had no idea lol x x

My parents cut my meat for me for a very long time.. I don't know how old I was but it was something ridiculous, probably close to 10 years old LOL, I'm the oldest though, my sister is 2 years younger and my brother is 4 years younger, so they'd just do it for all of us and serve it to us :blush:

maddison is left handed (dont know if this makes a diff) she used a fork very early on but got the whole knife thing at about age 5..however she still didnt cut things...she hacked lol she got it properly around 6

h x

I'm agreeing with the general pattern here. My son is 6 and he just about has the hang of it. He can cut with his knife, but can be a little lazy with it or struggle with tough things like sausages.
Personally, i'll be satified if he can use his knife and fork fully by the age of 10. He has good table manners so i've no issues right now :)

Bethanie does the cutting motion, but is not able to cut hard things.. she will cut potatoes, soft veg etc. We don't give her a knife at meal times though.. only every so often.

Thanks for asking this as I had been wondering the same thing!

Aimee was around 4 when she could properly use a knife and fork together. I made sure she learnt before she started school so she could do it herself at school dinners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->