Question for the sciencey types [amber]

AFC84

Mama to One + Bun :)
Reaction score
I really want to get my LO an amber teething necklace, and I just Googled and came across these...just wondering if that's actually true about that colour being more effective?

Just seen the Dino Daisy site and they have them on there as well, but it doesn't mention that it could have a stronger effect. Any ideas?

Also, this may be a really stupid question, but can teething powder be added to a drink? LO has a bottle about 11pm and I thought adding it to the bottle would be less likely to wake him up more.

It's the succinic acid in baltic amber that is supposed to be the effective "ingredient". I can't remember off the top of my head if green is supposed to have the highest content (just from what I've read online anyway) but I know that the same is supposed to be true of the lighter, butter colours compared to the darker, cherry/cognac colours.

I'm of two minds with amber- the amount that is actually released from the amber is likely pretty small for it to really have any effect but at the same time, it's been used for centuries as a pain reliever, so there must be something to the theory or it would have been abandonned long ago, iykwim. That being said, we do use one with Emma- the necklaces are cute and harmless either way, so why not use one :shrug:

I've never given Emma teething powders so I'm not too sure how they work (they aren't popular over here)...

Thanks for your help..that helped me make my mind up anyway. I wanted one of the darker colours and was trying do decide between the green and the cherry cognac. Will give the green a go then!

Yeah, I was always really skeptical, but two ladies at the sling meet I go to have them and both said they noticed a significant drool reduction at least, so thought it'd be worth a try.

Also how easily do they break? I'm just thinking if LO was crawling about, I wouldn't want him to get caught on something and end up suffocating :o Or is it more making sure they fit snugly enough?

Emma has broken one of hers already and we're onto our second necklace :wacko: I found the first one in the laundry hamper, so it must have snapped when I was taking a shirt off her. The clasp also came apart a few times, like it's supposed to, when she was pulling on it. I don't think you really have to worry about strangulation. I'd just be sure to get a size that isn't large enough for him to put in his mouth (Emma's is a touch too long and that's a problem we've got).

Ok great thanks! Will get ordering :thumbup:

most have a clasp thats designed to snap under pressue...apparently should avoid silk ties and metal clasps as they resist breaking more.

i bought one with all colours on, as i was unsure which was best :lol:

Ahh ok thanks...was just looking at some with metal clasps, I ordered this one in the end. The multi coloured ones are lovely too, I was tempted...too much choice!

I don't think it's right about green being the best colour for amber; everything else I've read says that the pale cloudy ones are the best. I think the Inspired by Finn website has some info about it.

You can mix teething powders into a drink, the homeopathic ones anyway (Boots, Nelson's, Ashton & Parsons are all homeopathic, I don't know any more powders!). We used to mix one sachet into half an ounce of warm water (or as little as it would dissolve into) and put it in a bottle for LO. I would have put it in her milk but she'd never finish a full bottle so I wouldn't know if she'd had it all. I *think* the Ashton's and Parson's ones worked best from a practical point of view as it's a finer powder so easier to dissolve.

Ahh typical! Oh well, I'll give it a go anyway...if it doesn't work at least it'll look pretty! :lol:
Will have a read of that site in a minute.

Brilliant thanks. Couldn't think of any reason why you wouldn't be able to but I thought I'd better check first! I have Nelson's and A&P, so I'll give that a go tonight. I noticed a little white bump yesterday so hopefully soon he'll have his first tooth at last :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->