Question for those of you who are pregnant again...

Sugarmuppet

Reaction score
My consultant pretty much said don't have another baby. He said that chances are my problems would happen earlier, it would be riskier and I might not be so lucky next time. (had HG, then my waters broke at 31 wks, I then developed pre-eclampsia and then eclampsia).

I am so broody. Career wise, money wise etc it makes sense to have another baby now rather than wait, also my husband is 15 years older than me so wouldn't want to wait ten years for him to say he is too old?

Unfortunatly both OH and my Mum heard the consultants comments and are dead against another pregnancy, even though OH would like more children.

In my (limited) knowledge, its not always the case that one premature birth means another one? Or that eclampsia always re-occurs?

ANYWAY!

What I am trying to say is - were any of you advised against having another baby? What made you decide that the risk was worth it?

I am rambling - does anyone know what I mean?! :blush:

I wasn't advised against it. Though, I never really spoke to a doctor and only learned of my condition (unicorunate uterus) until after I was pregnant again. My doc really hasn't expressed any concerns about my pregnancy. He's only indicated that it's likely I'll deliver early again, but that he suspects I'll make it farther than I did last time (and I have - my son was born at 34wks and I'm currently 34wk3days). I have read that some women with UU have been advised not to have more than 3 children as it's too taxing on their uterus and the chance of rupture increases.

I don't know much about the issues you faced in your pregnancy. I'd imagine it varies per person and scenario.

Sorry, not much help. But good luck.

I had pre-eclampsia, HELLP syndrome and eclampsia with my first and had her early although 35 weeks. I was told there was a chance I could get the condition again but I was also told I could have more kids I would just be monitored very closely.

The pre-eclampsia didn't return in my pregnancies after. However all three of my babies have been early, 2 at 35 weeks then my last baby at 33 weeks. Each time has been for a different reason:wacko: but im pregnant again, with the full support of my ob/gyn and a high risk perinatologist:thumbup: This will be our last.

So for your question, for us the pre-eclampsia didnt return but all our babies were premature. I really dont think you can predict anything when it comes to pregnancys. Im unsure why your consultant was so pessimistic though, the risk of reoccurance is not that high, I would suggest a second opinion:flower:

Hello

I totally know what you mean. I started developing pre eclampsia at 25 weeks and Sophie was delivered by emergency c-section at 27 weeks exactly. I was one hour from organ failure. My mum is also very against another pregnancy even though nothing has been said to me about not getting pregnant again.

My gp when I had my 6 week check said to me that it would be advisable to talk to the consultant who ended up looking after me from 25 weeks before getting pregnant again, and my health visitor brought up the subject last week. She said it doesn't mean I would necessarily get it again and that I'd have much closer monitoring another time - urine sticks to use at home to check for protein, frequent midwife and consultant appointments, and I think she mentioned aspirin too. I actually put a post up in the gestational complications section last week and had a lot of helpful replies if you want to check that thread out.

I would love another baby - I'm loving being a mummy so much, and we had always wanted two children - it's just a case of whether I'd be putting my life and the baby's life at risk if I did get pregnant again and that's something I'd want to look into.

I feel like Sophie's babyhood is passing so fast and I don't think I'd feel so upset by that if I thought there was a chance of another baby sometime but as it is, I'm not sure if this is our only shot at it!

I'm already 34 and I don't want time to run out but at the same time we'd always thought about something like a 3-ish year age gap.

I have a friend who got pre eclampsia first time round at I think 33ish weeks and this time she went on to have a problem free pregnancy, and had her little girl at 39 weeks - she had a planned section just before her due date just to be on the safe side.

I didnt have pre-eclampsia but i ended up pregnant without being planned this time. I've accepted the situation but at first i was horrified and petrified and cried a lot, expecting it all to reoccur.

I'm still undecided.

My consultant hasn't advised us against having another, and has assured us that we will receive the best possible care, but there is no way to tell whether a second baby will be IUGR and/or I'll have uterine bloodflow problems again.

The decision lies solely in our hands.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh :rofl:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!! Indeed. :)

Good luck to you ladies who are pregnant just now, you are very brave! :hugs:

I'm on autopilot...the same autopilot i was on after having Alex :rofl:

I'm on autopilot...the same autopilot i was on after having Alex :rofl:

Yup, think I would be the same. Autopilot is the only way sometimes. Me and Gaby will have our fingers permenantly crossed for you! :hugs:

Trust your instincts hun, whatever you decide. The younger alex was the more i swore that i woulndt have another. Somehow i got a bit braver as time went on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->