Question re BF after 6 months

TTC LADY

Reaction score
I have EBF LO since birth and really want to continue until I return to work when he is 1. My question is will my milk supply continue as is even after he starts on solids or will it naturally diminish.

He has cows milk allergy hence the reason for me to continue BF for as long as possible.

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but it's something I'm unsure on, given I swapped DD to follow on milk at 6 months.

Your supply will match the demand, so if LO feeds less your supply will decrease to match that. However, if LO continues feeding as much (which my LO did - she kept her milk needs more or less constant and 'topped up' the extra calories she needed as she got older with solids) your supply will stay the same for as long as the demand is there. Your boobs don't have a timer in them - they don't care how long you BF or not; if the milk is being taken, they will keep making it unless there's an issue with something.

My supply has only recently started to decrease when I night weaned LO at 2 years old, but they're still keeping up with LO's needs during the day although she's having to work a bit harder to let them know the milk is still wanted! You might find your boobs feel different after 6 months (for instance, I stopped feeling let down so strongly after a year, even though it was still happening, and I rarely felt 'full' but there was still plenty of milk available, my boobs just had the amount perfected!) but your supply will continue.

If you want to continue BF LO after you go back to work, that will probably be possible too if you're happy to feed on demand when you are together. You won't even necessarily need (or want!) to express milk. Boobs are clever - if you only feed LO during certain hours, they can adapt to that.

My supply is fine. My daughter won't eat baby food. She only likes my food which is fine with me. She still nurses just as much as she did before if not more often. I think food is just fun for her, for now. When she is hungry she wants me. It is supply and demand. As long as lo is nursing your breasts should continue to produce milk. I haven't noticed a dip in supply but I notice my daughter nurses more frequently but shorter length. I think she is just to busy talking, pointing, crawling, standing, playing or whatever.

I give LO 2-3 solid meals a day. He doesn't always eat much, but he nurses often. I don't pump milk so I'm not sure how much my supply has decreased, but it seems to be enough for LO. I'm not overly "full" of milk as often though.

We go by the rule that food before one is just for fun. So although LO is given food at breakfast, lunch and dinner I don't expect her to really make a meal out of it. We still nurse often through the day and recently have started nursing more at night as well. She is just too busy during the day sometimes to nurse fully. Like a PP said your breasts are clever and will regulate to your LO's needs.

Your body adjusts to whatever schedule you are on. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->