Question regarding breast pump

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by starah, Apr 10, 2009.

1. starah

starah Well-Known Member

Hi all, haven't had my LO but had a couple questions I hope you wouldn't mind answering.

Basically, how long does it take to fill a standard bottle using a breast pump (manual or automatic)?

Thanks gals!

2. caggimedicine

caggimedicine Mummy to Harry

I think it depends on a lot of things - how long you've been breastfeeding for; when you last fed your baby; if you're tired or not been eating/drinking well etc etc

I tried to express when I'd been breastfeeding Harry for just 2/3 weeks and really struggled. I could only manage to get about 1oz out, and it took a long time (about 30-40 minutes!) and was quite painful (nipples were still sore at that point). However, this week I sat and got 5oz out within about 5-10 minutes!

I find it easier to express when Harry has just been feeding - say if he's just had a little snack, and not emptied the boob, or has hardly had anything because he's just comfort feeding/sucking. I find it very difficult to express from scratch so to speak - easier when Harry has started things off.

3. XKatX

XKatX Well-Known Member

About as long as a piece of string!!! It totally depends on - when you r LO last fed, how long you've been expressing for (there's a nack that you have to get), what time of day it is (normally get the most out in the morning) and may other factors. Some people just can't express, but obviously produce plenty when baby needs it.
    After lots of practice and heartache, I can now pump about 7oz, if done 1st thing, whilst feeding Oliver. The other day however, I really struggled to get 5oz out. It's swings and roundabouts I'm afraid hun.

4. Wombat

Wombat Married mum of 2:)

Agree with all the others.

Depends on 100000 things. One day you will be able to get 10oz in 5 minutes and the next day 1oz in 2 hours.

I know some ladies who breastfed for ages but never could get more then 1-2oz out.

With my first one I had Avent Isis manual, and although I think it had a good suction, with manual I just got too tired too express.

This time I 100% will be getting an electronic one. Haven't decided which one yet.:hug: