Questions about blood clots...

abc123x

Reaction score
I woke up at 2am(as usual), but my calf hurt like I had a charlie horse and it wouldn't go away. I still have it. I told my OH about it and he said to call the doctor, make sure I don't have a calcium deficiency and see if they could give me anything for it. So, I did.

Now they have really got me worked up. They want to look at my leg and check for blood clots. My cousin and uncle have both had clots in their legs, and I remember them talking about it. I was under the impression that clots in your legs are extremely painful. Mine is only a dull ache unless I'm walking or flexing my foot upward.

Should I be worried?? I know they are serious. :shrug:

Sounds like a leg cramp to me, and I had one in my calf last night. My leg cramps are really painful, last about a minute, and I have to rub my leg to help relieve the pain. Obviously get it checked out if your doctor is suggesting it could be clots, but thought I'd give you a less worrying diagnosis!

i had something similar and it wasnt clots for me. But its better safe than sorry where clots are concerned

And I don't even have time to shave my legs!
Just kidding, though I realize that won't be funny if it really is a clot.

I'm just glad it's not my right leg because I don't think I'd be able to drive that far if it were. I feel a bit better now since it just sounds like leg cramps to you ladies.

Have you had any numbness in your leg? If not then it sounds like it could be leg cramps caused by calcium deficiency.

My mum is recovering from blood clots in her leg. Firstly she had numbness in the bottom of her leg which lasted for about 4 hours. Followed by severe pain. She went to the docs who diagnosed sciatica. 2 weeks later she was rushed to A&E and there they diagnosed the clots. She had several op's on her leg and i don't want to scare you but this is something i really worry about and don't ever want to get.

With my mum they caught it just in time and she has been very lucky. My old manager had them and they were treated with injections in the stomach.

Basically the earlier you catch them the 'easier' your treatment is. Good that your doc is refering you and taking it seriously. But chances are it is just leg cramps which are so common, i had them badly in my last pregnancy.

Keep us updated and i'm sure you will be fine :flower:

I went to the doctor about 5 hours ago. He was quck and felt around my leg, but said he felt a knot. He sent me for an ultrasound immediately after, and said if it's positive then I have to stay and if it is negative I can go home.

So here I sit with an IV and they don't know when I'll be out. Haven't even given me an estimate. Really didn't see this one coming. Ruined my Friday, but baby and I are both fine, so that's all that matters.

I hope everything is okay. I'll be waiting for an update. Good Luck. I know how much it sucks to wait and wait.....hopefully they'll have an answer for you soon.

ABC hope you got to go home! I was a little worried when you said that it hurt to flex your foot upwards (called Homan's sign) and that your doc felt a knot. That is often a positive sign of a DVT/clot. Although it runined your day, I am glad they sent you for an ultrasound! I hope all went well and you are resting comfortably at home! Waking up with those leg cramps is scary, not pleasant to wake too. Hope thats all it was!

hope you are ok, let us know x glad you went in xx

They kept me over night just to be safe, as baby was doing some strange things... sort of kicking to my heartbeat. The OB said it was probably caused by the medicine they gave me pumping through the placenta or major vein that runs down your stomach(They also usually don't release people until noon, I guess).

Feeling better. Ultrasound wasn't very clear, but they said witht he knot and the sound they could hear via ultrasound was bad enough that they had to give me something. Seems better, but still a bit sore and very tired.

Heading home in less than 4 hours.

Thanks for all the support.

had similar and wasnt clot but always check it. Try massageing it hard and eat bananas and milk stuff. Try rotating your foot in circles and up and down

Hiya, are you home yet? I take it wasn't a clot?? Hope your ok? x

Hiya, are you home yet? I take it wasn't a clot?? Hope your ok? x

They think it was a small clot. After the IV, the bloodflow sounded perfectly clear, where it didn't before. I had to stay overnight anyway because of baby's activity(even though they said it was normal?) and because they don't discharge at certain times of night. I can now go up stairs and move my foot around with no discomfort. Like it never even happened.

I now wig out everytime I wake up with a charlie horse though. :blush:

It was not the experience that I had expected. They can't give the meds orally, I guess. And they literally ultrasound your entire leg, starting in the groin. Even after they knew where it was, they kept scanning the whole thing over, which makes sense I guess. I was just surprised at how in depth it was.

I'm glad to hear you're at home and doing well. I was sent to the emergency by my OB earlier in the pregnancy because she wasn't sure if the varicose vein I had was a varicose vein or a blood clot, turned out to be a varicose vein luckily. Anyway they scanned my whole leg too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->