Questions about claiming as a couple on Income support

dad2be1994

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my girlfriend is currently 24 weeks pregnant, she claims Job Seekers Allowance(soon will be moving too income support) & I currently claim Universal Credits(similar to JSA).
In the next week or so she is moving in with me, I was wondering after she moves in with me if i will be able to join her claim to claim as a couple on her JSA claim( she cant join my claim because she isn't eligible to claim Universal credits as she is pregnant). Also if I am able to join her JSA to claim as a couple, would we be able to claim as a couple for when she eventually moves over to Income support?.

Hiya,

Have you searched online? This website seems quite good..

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance-joint-claims

income support kicks in at 29 weeks I think it is, but this states that you can't joint claim if one of you is incapable of working because of pregnancy. So my guess would be if your partner is still trying to find work then you could make a joint claim together until the income support kicks in.

I think from what I've read that you can make a joint claim on income support until the baby is 15 weeks old and then you move back onto jsa which again could be a joint claim.

The Cab website is really good and they have a chat box you can use to have a messaging conversation with a member of staff. I didn't this with questions about work and they were really good, I didn't have to wait too long either in the queue and it saves going to the office or calling;

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/contact-us/web-chat-service/

The start is on the left hand side near the bottom

X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back